Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 664

Thread: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

  1. #601
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    <"Gee wilickers, if CNN said it, it must be true. Let me check. Yep it's on the internet so it has to be true.">
    May explain how Obama got elected.

    Bush Never Said “Mission Accomplished”

    >" With the leaking Gulf oil well apparently under control, and the spilled oil mysteriously vanishing, the Obama administration has come under pressure from journalists to declare “mission accomplished.” It is understandably unwilling to do this, partly because things could still go wrong and partly because of the phrase’s unfortunate political baggage.

    According to the virtually universal political folk memory, former President George Bush prematurely declared “mission accomplished” in Iraq from the deck of an aircraft carrier in May 2003, when some of the worst fighting still lay ahead.

    We all remember that, don’t we? And if not, Kevin Connolly of BBC News in Washington has just reminded us of Bush’s much mocked statement. Analyzing President Obama’s August 2 announcement that all U.S. combat operations would end in Iraq by the end of the month, Connolly said:

    The president was careful not to repeat the mistake of his predecessor George W. Bush who famously declared that America's mission in Iraq had been accomplished seven years ago - long before the violence and instability were ended.

    But Bush didn’t say that. In fact, in his speech aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, Bush declared: “Our mission continues.” It is true that Bush’s speech, in which he announced the end of major combat operations, was far too triumphant about U.S. military achievements. But he never “famously declared that America’s mission in Iraq had been accomplished.”

    On the contrary, he said that following the fall of Baghdad, “now our coalition is engaged in securing and reconstructing that country... We have difficult work to do in Iraq. We're bringing order to parts of that country that remain dangerous.” Bush's goal in Iraq was never purely military – his mission was to bring freedom and democracy to a vital part of the Middle East.

    Here are some more quotes from the speech:

    ■“The transition from dictatorship to democracy will take time, but it is worth every effort. Our coalition will stay until our work is done and then we will leave and we will leave behind a free Iraq.”
    ■“Our mission continues. Al Qaida is wounded, not destroyed.”
    ■“The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September the 11th, 2001 and still goes on.”
    ■“America and our coalition will finish what we have begun.”


    So how did the belief that he declared “mission accomplished” become so deeply embedded in the public consciousness? The reason is that the ship’s crew, in collusion with White House staff, had strung a large banner bearing the words “mission accomplished” behind the spot where Bush was due to speak. The banner was seen on TV throughout the president’s speech. But Bush himself knew nothing about the decision to display the banner, and certainly did not approve it.

    “Irregardless,” as Bush himself used to say, the speech became known as the “mission accomplished” speech, and will probably always be known that way. A striking visual image trumps the spoken word any day. And it’s almost certainly too much to hope that the media will go back and read the speech and see what he actually said. You can forget about renaming it the “mission continues” speech, even if that would be much more accurate. "<

    Bush Never Said

    Maybe it's a Navy thing ?
    http://www.msc.navy.mil/sealift/2007...ft-2007-11.pdf


    >" The "Mission Accomplished" boast has been mocked many times since Mr. Bush's carrier speech as criticism has mounted over the failed search for weapons of mass destruction and the continuing violence in Iraq.

    When it was brought up again Tuesday at a news conference, Mr. Bush said, "The 'Mission Accomplished' sign, of course, was put up by the members of the USS Abraham Lincoln, saying that their mission was accomplished."

    "I know it was attributed somehow to some ingenious advance man from my staff — they weren't that ingenious, by the way."

    That explanation hadn't surfaced during months of questions to White House officials about proclaiming the mission in Iraq successful while violence continued.

    After the news conference, a White House spokeswoman said the Lincoln's crew asked the White House to have the sign made. The White House asked a private vendor to produce the sign, and the crew put it up, said the spokeswoman. She said she did not know who paid for the sign.

    Later, a Pentagon spokesman called The Associated Press to reiterate that the banner was the crew's idea.

    "It truly did signify a mission accomplished for the crew," Navy Cmdr. Conrad Chun said, adding the president's visit marked the end of the ship's 10-month international deployment..."<

    'Mission Accomplished' Whodunit - CBS News

    In addition to declaring an end to major combat in Iraq in front of a "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln on May 1, 2003, Bush said to U.S. troops in Qatar on June 5, 2003: "America sent you on a mission to remove a grave threat and to liberate an oppressed people, and that mission has been accomplished."
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    In addition to declaring an end to major combat in Iraq in front of a "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" banner aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln on May 1, 2003, Bush said to U.S. troops in Qatar on June 5, 2003: "America sent you on a mission to remove a grave threat and to liberate an oppressed people, and that mission has been accomplished."
    It wasn't Bush who put up the "Mission Accomplish" banner he may have not even knew about the banner until he saw it. It was the ships crew who came up with the idea because it has become a tradition after a cruise and if all went well, it's announced "mission accomplished." But some lady with in the Bush White House did sign off on the banner idea and had it made for the crew.

    The other day I came across one of the U.S. Army War College papers where the subject was the Iraq war, basically what went right and what went wrong. That there are four or six phases in a war and phase two is accomplishing the mission. Phase three and all other phases after have to do with occupation, etc. Phase One and two of the Iraq war were accomplished, after that is when we ran into trouble.

    Again it goes back to the over down sizing of our military during the Clinton administration. Some of the top brass warned the Bush administration that the goal of regime change could be accomplished but not occupation and the military should never be used for nation building.

    I still believe that we should go back and revisit the National Security Act of 1947. It gives the civilians to much control over the military once it has been decided to use our military and go to war. You can't have civilians like McNamara, LBJ or Rumsfeld playing six star general and micromanaging wars. President's shouldn't surround themselves with four star yes men. But officers shouldn't fear being fired because they say something that the civilian leadership don't want to hear.

    If that Army War College paper/study is on the internet and I find it I'll post it as a separate thread. It would make a good thread starter.
    One mistake we made was that some members of Congress and with in the American society wanted evidence of WMD's and the military started searching for WMD's during phase three when it should have been paying 100% attention of accomplishing phase three. The military had more important things to do than to look for WMD's. I still think we still couldn't accomplished phase three with the army we went to war with.

  3. #603
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Don't be sorry. I'm not sorry you chose to be uninformed and compliant to your training. They depend on people allowing themselves to be that way. They are a dwindling minority approaching insignificance.
    I'll ask once again and see if you can come up with ANYTHING to support what your claim. What would be the motive for Obama to encourage children from El Salvador to rush our borders?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #604
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,565

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    I'm just wondering what other country on the planet would have such a heated debate if a group of THEIR citizens protested for tighter border security in an area most negatively effected by illegal immigration(which is basically what the demonstration was meant to highlight).
    Half would say good for them, the other half would say "we don't care". Only in America would these people be labeled the lunatic fringe of our NEW politically correct society. Just shows what a maddening situation we are dealing with in this country.

  5. #605
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    It wasn't Bush who put up the "Mission Accomplish" banner he may have not even knew about the banner until he saw it. It was the ships crew who came up with the idea because it has become a tradition after a cruise and if all went well, it's announced "mission accomplished." But some lady with in the Bush White House did sign off on the banner idea and had it made for the crew.

    The other day I came across one of the U.S. Army War College papers where the subject was the Iraq war, basically what went right and what went wrong. That there are four or six phases in a war and phase two is accomplishing the mission. Phase three and all other phases after have to do with occupation, etc. Phase One and two of the Iraq war were accomplished, after that is when we ran into trouble.

    Again it goes back to the over down sizing of our military during the Clinton administration. Some of the top brass warned the Bush administration that the goal of regime change could be accomplished but not occupation and the military should never be used for nation building.

    I still believe that we should go back and revisit the National Security Act of 1947. It gives the civilians to much control over the military once it has been decided to use our military and go to war. You can't have civilians like McNamara, LBJ or Rumsfeld playing six star general and micromanaging wars. President's shouldn't surround themselves with four star yes men. But officers shouldn't fear being fired because they say something that the civilian leadership don't want to hear.

    If that Army War College paper/study is on the internet and I find it I'll post it as a separate thread. It would make a good thread starter.
    One mistake we made was that some members of Congress and with in the American society wanted evidence of WMD's and the military started searching for WMD's during phase three when it should have been paying 100% attention of accomplishing phase three. The military had more important things to do than to look for WMD's. I still think we still couldn't accomplished phase three with the army we went to war with.
    So, you didn't read my post which quoted Bush saying EXACTLY what you deny that he said. Another partisan who doesn't care about America, but just about the GOP.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  6. #606
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    So, you didn't read my post which quoted Bush saying EXACTLY what you deny that he said. Another partisan who doesn't care about America, but just about the GOP.
    I give up.

    Lets legalize same sex Desert Tortios and see what happens.

  7. #607
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I'll ask once again and see if you can come up with ANYTHING to support what your claim. What would be the motive for Obama to encourage children from El Salvador to rush our borders?
    Cloward/Piven strategy.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #608
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I'll ask once again and see if you can come up with ANYTHING to support what your claim. What would be the motive for Obama to encourage children from El Salvador to rush our borders?
    I'm not really motivated to engage obtuse posters. As such, you provide zero motivation.

  9. #609
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    It wasn't Bush who put up the "Mission Accomplish" banner he may have not even knew about the banner until he saw it. It was the ships crew who came up with the idea because it has become a tradition after a cruise and if all went well, it's announced "mission accomplished." But some lady with in the Bush White House did sign off on the banner idea and had it made for the crew.

    The other day I came across one of the U.S. Army War College papers where the subject was the Iraq war, basically what went right and what went wrong. That there are four or six phases in a war and phase two is accomplishing the mission. Phase three and all other phases after have to do with occupation, etc. Phase One and two of the Iraq war were accomplished, after that is when we ran into trouble.

    Again it goes back to the over down sizing of our military during the Clinton administration. Some of the top brass warned the Bush administration that the goal of regime change could be accomplished but not occupation and the military should never be used for nation building.

    I still believe that we should go back and revisit the National Security Act of 1947. It gives the civilians to much control over the military once it has been decided to use our military and go to war. You can't have civilians like McNamara, LBJ or Rumsfeld playing six star general and micromanaging wars. President's shouldn't surround themselves with four star yes men. But officers shouldn't fear being fired because they say something that the civilian leadership don't want to hear.

    If that Army War College paper/study is on the internet and I find it I'll post it as a separate thread. It would make a good thread starter.
    One mistake we made was that some members of Congress and with in the American society wanted evidence of WMD's and the military started searching for WMD's during phase three when it should have been paying 100% attention of accomplishing phase three. The military had more important things to do than to look for WMD's. I still think we still couldn't accomplished phase three with the army we went to war with.
    Um, you said that Bush never said mission accomplished, and I showed you where he did on June 5, 2003.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #610
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Protesters block buses carrying undocumented immigrants in California

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    I give up.

    Lets legalize same sex Desert Tortios and see what happens.
    Works for me.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 61 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •