Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 366

Thread: Obama to take executive action on immigration

  1. #271
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,461

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Have you stopped to consider that it's very possible that the House will be cheered by a majority of Americans! I hope it does become a campaign issue - we don't need an invasion of sick and/or diseased illegals to step in front of those who are obeying the law by entering legally! What "compromise" do you expect on that?

    Greetings, Buck Ewer.
    So...if you think that a majority of the House would vote against immigration reform, then why doesn't Boehner allow a vote?

    And if you'll recall, in the 2012 election, Democratic members of the House received about a million more votes than the Republican members did...but thanks to gerrymandering, the GOP kept its majority. The GOP is not interested in majority rule - it's interested only in GOP rule.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  2. #272
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    So...if you think that a majority of the House would vote against immigration reform, then why doesn't Boehner allow a vote?

    And if you'll recall, in the 2012 election, Democratic members of the House received about a million more votes than the Republican members did...but thanks to gerrymandering, the GOP kept its majority. The GOP is not interested in majority rule - it's interested only in GOP rule.
    Maybe because neither party is interested in COMPREHENSIVE immigration reform?!?!
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Have you stopped to consider that it's very possible that the House will be cheered by a majority of Americans! I hope it does become a campaign issue - we don't need an invasion of sick and/or diseased illegals to step in front of those who are obeying the law by entering legally! What "compromise" do you expect on that?

    Greetings, Buck Ewer.

    Looks like the Majority of Americans Blame BO Lady P.



    Majority: Yes, The Unaccompanied Child Crisis on The Border is Obama's Fault......

    As the unaccompanied child crisis on the border continues to get worse with no signs of stopping, a new poll from IBD/TIPP shows the majority of Americans blame President Obama for the ongoing disaster.

    The poll found that 59% of those closely following the immigration crisis agree that "current administration policies and lack of focus on securing the border" are behind the human tide of illegal crossings. Six in 10 say that the children should be ordered to leave the country.

    And this is perhaps the worst news for the Obama administration: the American people are also holding the White House responsible for the IRS cover-up and the crisis in Iraq.....snip~



    Majority: Yes, The Unaccompanied Child Crisis on The Border is Obama's Fault - Katie Pavlich

  4. #274
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    He can't even be impeached. Americans don't hold presidents accountable, otherwise nearly every president would have been impeached.
    I don't think there is the political will in Congress to impeach our first black president. You're wrong that he can't be impeached however. Impeachment is a political process which starts in the house and is tried in the senate. Americans don't have anything to do with it.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." Attributed to Alexander Tytler

  5. #275
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,335

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    So...if you think that a majority of the House would vote against immigration reform, then why doesn't Boehner allow a vote?

    And if you'll recall, in the 2012 election, Democratic members of the House received about a million more votes than the Republican members did...but thanks to gerrymandering, the GOP kept its majority. The GOP is not interested in majority rule - it's interested only in GOP rule.
    Don't ask me to explain DC! I think they're all idiots, and they continue to prove me right on a daily basis!

    Greetings, Glen Contrarian.

  6. #276
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    I don't think there is the political will in Congress to impeach our first black president. You're wrong that he can't be impeached however. Impeachment is a political process which starts in the house and is tried in the senate. Americans don't have anything to do with it.
    You too miss the point. Of course the house and senate prosecute the process, and of course impeachment has legal and constitutional basis. But Americans, and members of the House and Senate are Americans, too, don't hold there presidents accountable. Just look around DP. It's a daily orgasmic frenzy of right wingers piling on Obama, and mostly correctly pointing out wrong doing, even unconstitutional action. And the partisan lefties are wore plum out by them, justifying, defending and excusing their president. I'm talking about partisan democrats in the house and senate as well. The exact opposite was the case during the last administration. If a GOPer should happen to win the WH next go around, stay tuned, because you will see a complete roll reversal on this board. Very few here acknowledge the sins of presidents from both parties, and want to see an end to corruption in Washington. Same being true across the country and the reason that it persists, and likely never will end.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #277
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,335

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    So...if you think that a majority of the House would vote against immigration reform, then why doesn't Boehner allow a vote?

    And if you'll recall, in the 2012 election, Democratic members of the House received about a million more votes than the Republican members did...but thanks to gerrymandering, the GOP kept its majority. The GOP is not interested in majority rule - it's interested only in GOP rule.
    Maybe it's the universe's way of keeping things balanced - The Senate is Democrat ruled, and even some House Democrats are asking why the bills they have sent to the Senate are not being brought to a vote!

  8. #278
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,461

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Maybe because neither party is interested in COMPREHENSIVE immigration reform?!?!
    FYI, the Democratic party is VERY interested in comprehensive immigration reform - if for no other reason than to garner all those Hispanic votes.
    “To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what he’s doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  9. #279
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    FYI, the Democratic party is VERY interested in comprehensive immigration reform - if for no other reason than to garner all those Hispanic votes.

    Immigration policy will be a significant focus of the 113th Congress. For decades, some U.S. politicians have focused on closing the U.S.-Mexico border to try to stop the northward flow of migrant workers. But little focus has been given to the “supply side” of a surge in immigration into the United States by people from Latin America: U.S. trade policies that have caused massive displacement of small farmers in Mexico and other Latin American countries. Indeed, many policymakers most focused on “closing” the U.S. border were the very same ones who supported U.S. trade policies that have caused the economic crises that destroyed livelihoods and devastated communities throughout Latin America – creating powerful incentives for people desperate for new livelihoods to migrate in the first place. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was negotiated by the George H.W. Bush administration between the United States, Mexico, and Canada and passed by the Bill Clinton administration. Nineteen years of NAFTA have devastated Mexico’s rural economy, eroded economic opportunities for decent manufacturing jobs and destroyed many small and medium-sized businesses in Mexico. NAFTA, which benefited only the narrow corporate special interests who designed and pushed it, generated enormous pressures for working- age Mexicans to attempt the dangerous journey to the United States. In NAFTA’s first seven years, Mexican immigration to the United States more than doubled, surging 108 percent. The George W. Bush administration then negotiated expansions of the failed NAFTA model to six Central American nations and the Dominican Republic and to Peru, Panama and Colombia.

    https://www.citizen.org/documents/fa...mmigration.pdf
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #280
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama to take executive action on immigration

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Immigration policy will be a significant focus of the 113th Congress. For decades, some U.S. politicians have focused on closing the U.S.-Mexico border to try to stop the northward flow of migrant workers. But little focus has been given to the “supply side” of a surge in immigration into the United States by people from Latin America: U.S. trade policies that have caused massive displacement of small farmers in Mexico and other Latin American countries. Indeed, many policymakers most focused on “closing” the U.S. border were the very same ones who supported U.S. trade policies that have caused the economic crises that destroyed livelihoods and devastated communities throughout Latin America – creating powerful incentives for people desperate for new livelihoods to migrate in the first place. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was negotiated by the George H.W. Bush administration between the United States, Mexico, and Canada and passed by the Bill Clinton administration. Nineteen years of NAFTA have devastated Mexico’s rural economy, eroded economic opportunities for decent manufacturing jobs and destroyed many small and medium-sized businesses in Mexico. NAFTA, which benefited only the narrow corporate special interests who designed and pushed it, generated enormous pressures for working- age Mexicans to attempt the dangerous journey to the United States. In NAFTA’s first seven years, Mexican immigration to the United States more than doubled, surging 108 percent. The George W. Bush administration then negotiated expansions of the failed NAFTA model to six Central American nations and the Dominican Republic and to Peru, Panama and Colombia.

    https://www.citizen.org/documents/fa...mmigration.pdf
    Both parties have contributed to our border woes, but big business has reaped big benefits and both parties pander to big business.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •