Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 135

Thread: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC[W:17]

  1. #71
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,876

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    As if you would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    He is the second coming of Jesus to many folks. Too bad he turned out to be a woman beater.
    I never saw anyone claim that George Zimmerman was the second coming of Jesus.

    There, that should make X happy.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  2. #72
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,876

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I agree.

    Again, I agree. Unfortenately there are those that believed it...at least at the begining of Obama's first term. I don't see it near as much now a days.

    Attachment 67169085
    I can find people who believe Obama is a lizard person. Cherry picking the dumbest of the dumb is using a statistically insignificant group in order to tar a whole.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #73
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Judge Nelson has proved she should not be on the bench over and over again.
    Isn't there an amendment to the constitution that says something about freedom of speech, the press and media have these rights too, should she have stripped that law down to bare bones and ruled against NBC?

  4. #74
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Isn't there an amendment to the constitution that says something about freedom of speech, the press and media have these rights too, should she have stripped that law down to bare bones and ruled against NBC?
    If you do not realize it, you can say what ever you want. That is freedom of speech. But there are still laws that cover libel, such as alleged in this case, and slander.
    The first Amendment doesn't cover you against libel.

    And the reason her ruling is being appealed.
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  5. #75
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    At what point does it stop? If certain commentators call Sandra Fluke a whore, are they responsible? Or is that different?
    Yes, it is different.

    If people in the media voice their opinion, that's freedom of speech and whether you agree with that opinion or not, it's protected. This isn't an issue of what NBC said or believed about Zimmerman, this was a case where they edited a recording of a phone call to police by Zimmerman (who had just shot a black teenage boy) which by doing so took him out of context and falsely gave millions of people the impression he was a racist.

    In other words, what NBC did was falsely give millions of people the impression that Zimmerman implicated himself as a racist after killing a black kid. Or put another way, thanks to NBC, millions of people saw Zimmerman as a self confessed racist who murdered a black kid, who had not been arrested and was living his life free as a bird. He received numerous death threats because of this, it put both him and his family in a lot of danger, and forced them to have to go into hiding.

    Don't you believe that NBC should be held responsible for their actions?

  6. #76
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Am I the only one who's noticed that many of the people wailing about this judges decision are the same people who point to a judge's decision to argue that Zimmerman was not guilty of committing any crime?
    I would agree with you because people who have a respect and understanding of our criminal justice system, are usually individuals with a solid moral center who believe that people (or a company) should take responsibility for their actions when they unnecessarily harm others.

  7. #77
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Yes, it is different.

    If people in the media voice their opinion, that's freedom of speech and whether you agree with that opinion or not, it's protected. This isn't an issue of what NBC said or believed about Zimmerman, this was a case where they edited a recording of a phone call to police by Zimmerman (who had just shot a black teenage boy) which by doing so took him out of context and falsely gave millions of people the impression he was a racist.

    In other words, what NBC did was falsely give millions of people the impression that Zimmerman implicated himself as a racist after killing a black kid. Or put another way, thanks to NBC, millions of people saw Zimmerman as a self confessed racist who murdered a black kid, who had not been arrested and was living his life free as a bird. He received numerous death threats because of this, it put both him and his family in a lot of danger, and forced them to have to go into hiding.

    Don't you believe that NBC should be held responsible for their actions?
    I'm not shocked that you see it like that. Put NBC out of business, but Rush Limbaugh and George Zimmerman are above reproach.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #78
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    I would agree with you because people who have a respect and understanding of our criminal justice system, are usually individuals with a solid moral center who believe that people (or a company) should take responsibility for their actions when they unnecessarily harm others.
    Funny, some people feel the same about Zimmerman....


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #79
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,125
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I'm not shocked that you see it like that. Put NBC out of business, but Rush Limbaugh and George Zimmerman are above reproach.
    Did you misread my post or are you purposely misrepresenting what I said?

    I may be wrong, but I think it's the latter because of how you avoided answering my question.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Judge throws out George Zimmerman's libel suit against NBC

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Yes, it is different.
    This isn't an issue of what NBC said or believed about Zimmerman, this was a case where they edited a recording of a phone call to police by Zimmerman (who had just shot a black teenage boy) which by doing so took him out of context and falsely gave millions of people the impression he was a racist.

    In other words, what NBC did was falsely give millions of people the impression that Zimmerman implicated himself as a racist after killing a black kid. Or put another way, thanks to NBC, millions of people saw Zimmerman as a self confessed racist who murdered a black kid, who had not been arrested and was living his life free as a bird. He received numerous death threats because of this, it put both him and his family in a lot of danger, and forced them to have to go into hiding.

    Don't you believe that NBC should be held responsible for their actions?
    Yeah, because we have NEVER seen Fox News or people Rush Limbaugh or Hannity, edit something say like a politician says and take it out of context

    Guess that is libel too right?

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •