Page 32 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 1290

Thread: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge[W:513,870]

  1. #311
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,211

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Where do you get that? Follow along with the conversation. The point is, this ruling will now allow businesses owned by religious groups to refuse to cover contraceptives. The rest that flows is logic 101.
    Does the ruling state that all employees of Hobby Lobby may not purchase a Box of Condoms on their way home for work ?

  2. #312
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Totally agree. The lack of the 4 forms of BC in the total offering won't even affect the cost of their insurance.
    1) Hobby Lobby just objected to those four, but I see no reason why another employer can't object and refuse to pay for any and all forms of birth control.

    2) The fact that the cost is small is just another argument that covering birth control didn't impose a substantial burden on the employers. In fact, the SC says, basically, "Employers who refuse to cover BC won't burden women who work for them because we assume some other mechanism will be provided to give the same employees free contraception." In other words, according to the ruling, Hobby Lobby et al get to make an empty gesture that will have no effect on the use of contraception by their employees.

    The whole ruling just seems odd to me. They say over and over that it was a very narrow ruling, only on contraception, that doesn't apply to other parts of ACA, etc. That seems to indicate the ruling was just an exercise to get to the answer the majority wanted, but that they might find differently if they want to get to a different answer, hence the emphasis from the early going that the ruling is VERY limited, to only these facts, etc.

  3. #313
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Does the ruling state that all employees of Hobby Lobby may not purchase a Box of Condoms on their way home for work ?
    I'm sure they can, and along with that buy the predictably high failure rate of condoms in preventing pregnancy.

  4. #314
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    C'mon. If they REALLY believed that god does not want them to pay for contraception and abortion, they simply wouldn't own a business in China, period. Is it suddenly not sin for them to pay for abortion and contraception because they want to own a business in China and the law there requires businesses to pay for it? You REALLY think that their theology would be consistent and permit this?
    You seem to be fully aware of business practice/law in China so it shouldn't be any bother for you to provide links to help the rest of us out. Specifically, I'd like some proof that Hobby Lobby actually owns business enterprises in China and specific proof that the Chinese government requires them to provide the forms of birth control that Hobby Lobby actually sued the US government over.

    If you can't, I'll just assume that you're making stuff up.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #315
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    "Needed service " ?

    Haven't people been taking care of this " service on their own prior to ObamaCare ?

    Yea I'm pretty sure they have
    There were no unintended pregnancies prior to ACA? Gosh, that's good news, cause I thought one reason for abortions is women got pregnant when they didn't want to have a baby. I guess I was wrong and abortions were at zero prior to ACA. Interesting.

  6. #316
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,629

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Just mind boggling how heads on the left have exploded over this -

    Maybe women should organize a safe-sex ****-in at every Hobby Lobby across the country. In the glitter aisle. JUST A THOUGHT.
    ‘So mature’! Feminist loon Jessica Valenti proposes ‘safe-sex f*ck-in at every Hobby Lobby’ | Twitchy

  7. #317
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Sure will keep the lawyers and courts busy. Hell, I'd push for not only indecency laws to be applied if they go through with something like that, but EPA charges --- spreading their bio-hazard fluids in a public space.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #318
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I made the mistake of opening her Twitter page. Now I feel like vomiting. She's one sick person. God help her children.

  9. #319
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    I thank you for the links, but they don't however prove your point.

    1. An affiliated enterprise is not necessarily an enterprise owned by Hobby Lobby. I'm not saying they aren't the owners, just that it's a strange way to identify an owned company. I believe the proper term would be "a wholly owned subsidiary of Hobby Lobby located in Hong Kong" were the ownership issue as clear as you contend.

    2. The health care provision you noted actually, from my reading, indicates that the employee was/is to pay for the costs associated with the government run plan, not the employer. It also indicated that the plan was not fully implemented as of 1997 - I don't know if it is or isn't now. As an employee funded plan, basically a payroll tax dedicated to health care, the system would be somewhat similar in funding to Canada's in that our income taxes go to cover universal healthcare.

    Personally, my only objection to Obamacare is that it's a bastardized combination of the worst of private and public healthcare systems. I can only assume it was created to be a monster that would have to be replaced by universal healthcare somewhere down the line.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #320
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    To say that this ruling will not result in an increase in abortions defies logic.
    Because American women are too stupid to purchase their own contraceptives?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 32 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •