Page 30 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 1290

Thread: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge[W:513,870]

  1. #291
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I'm sorry - would you like to provide a link for me that indicates that Hobby Lobby both has ownership of companies in China and that those companies are required to provide the certain forms of contraceptives listed in Hobby Lobby's statement as a requirement of doing business in China?

    Hong Kong Connections Ltd.


    Start on page 7 in the PDF link below

    http://www.who.int/healthsystems/top...naB_YFINAL.pdf

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  2. #292
    Weekend Political Pundit
    Bob N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,821

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Seems about right. Now waiting for the justification from both sides on their views of it. On the base, I think there is great concern on how far that religious freedom of a company can go. If there is a Jehova Witness run company, can they outlaw paying for certain procedures, etc. And does a company now have the right to not serve people based on religious holdings?
    Exactly. If a company is a person, I say next time there is a draft for war include them too.

    I find it weird that a company can be a person but a person can't be a company. Does not a person go out and go to work and try to provide itself a profit? My goodness. I too would just love to hit the subtraction button on my calculator until it breaks every year before April 15th. Man that would rule!

  3. #293
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I think you are very correct that the true motives are hidden. It is so odd that you mention it, because I just had that conversation in "real life" with someone a few hours ago. Nevertheless, the plausible explanation is all we have to go on, and despite what I judge to be their dishonesty, I have to go on the known facts. They are claiming to want this freedom according to their religious beliefs, and the claim must be protected. If their purported personal theology prevents them from paying for abortions, we have no way of proving that it doesn't. Therefore, we must protect their religious right not to be forced by the government to pay.

    That I (and apparently you) believe that this is a theology of convenience is not really relevant. While I sympathize with your assessment, I don't think there is anything to be done. As a consolation: Really, they could be telling the truth to themselves and us. We don't really know.

    Dezaad, you are absolutely correct. However, The SCOTUS has just went down a very dangerous road that will come back and bite them on the butt. This will fuel many organizations to hide behind their fake desires to uphold their religious beliefs.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    Dezaad, you are absolutely correct. However, The SCOTUS has just went down a very dangerous road that will come back and bite them on the butt. This will fuel many organizations to hide behind their fake desires to uphold their religious beliefs.
    Unless you're a fascists then the SCOTUS made the right call......

    Obamacare is fascism -- it's a simple form of dictation.

  5. #295
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    Dezaad, you are absolutely correct. However, The SCOTUS has just went down a very dangerous road that will come back and bite them on the butt. This will fuel many organizations to hide behind their fake desires to uphold their religious beliefs.
    I doubt it. The Court ruling was evidently very narrow. The relief is only for contraceptives and only when the company is closely held by a family or individual.

    Though there maybe some wiggle room in what is defined as "closely held" (can a stock company be "closely held"? If so, what percentage is needed to owned by the objecting individual?), I dont think there is going to be any reprecussions.

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Exactly. If a company is a person, I say next time there is a draft for war include them too.

    I find it weird that a company can be a person but a person can't be a company. Does not a person go out and go to work and try to provide itself a profit? My goodness. I too would just love to hit the subtraction button on my calculator until it breaks every year before April 15th. Man that would rule!
    A company is a "person" for taxation........ You have a better solution besides socialism?

  7. #297
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Obama should apologise to those American citizens who will be adversely effected by this ruling, the SCOTUS has thrown it back to him, and he can find another way to provide this service that Hobby Lobby will deny, and now too probably Little Debbie and other businesses owned by religious extremists.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #298
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,277

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Obama should apologise to those American citizens who will be adversely effected by this ruling, the SCOTUS has thrown it back to him, and he can find another way to provide this service that Hobby Lobby will deny, and now too probably Little Debbie and other businesses owned by religious extremists.

    Pot meet kettle.

    What SCOTUS did was to tamp down the efforts of the true extremist who would via executive action and or law restrict the Constitutional rights of American Citizens.

  9. #299
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Pot meet kettle.

    What SCOTUS did was to tamp down the efforts of the true extremist who would via executive action and or law restrict the Constitutional rights of American Citizens.
    Wrong again. I accept the SCOTUS ruling though I disagree with it. There's other means of providing this needed service that the owners of HL will be denying their employees.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  10. #300
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Blood on their hands? You are making zero sense.

    This is all coming from emotion and not reality. This won't increase abortions. There isn't less access to contraceptives. You can get them from any doctor. Hobby Lobby didn't want to pay for 4 specific contraceptives, and that was the entire case.

    By the way, you can only have blood on your hands when discussing abortion if you believe abortion is murder. Do you?
    To say that this ruling will not result in an increase in abortions defies logic.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 30 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •