Page 22 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 1290

Thread: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge[W:513,870]

  1. #211
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    That would be pretty cool. The STFU part. But let's not let the facts get in the way. When you say "You guys", I'll assume you are referring to me as one of those who oppose this move. And yes I do. I loathe organized religion. I loathe the idea that your delusional beliefs in a book of fairy tales is influencing my life or that of my children. And as to the other religions, keep them the **** out of my government.
    I also loathe organized religions.

    But the owners of this company have religious beliefs that are protected by the Constitution, and since SCOTUS is tasked with upholding the Constitution, they made the right decision here. The owners of HL shouldn't be forced to give up their religious beliefs because of government any more than government should be forced to hold and/or agree with their religious beliefs.

    How does this influence your children?

  2. #212
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    From the AP:

    The justices' 5-4 decision Monday is the first time that the high court has ruled that profit-seeking businesses can hold religious views under federal law. And it means the Obama administration must search for a different way of providing free contraception to women who are covered under objecting companies' health insurance plans. News from The Associated Press
    That is what will happen too. Just because Republicans think discriminating against women is OK does not mean it will be tolerated. We will simply find other ways of paying for the affected woman's contraception. So Hobby Lobby will save a few bucks but that is IT.

  3. #213
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    I agree with the ruling, but it still troubles me to see split 5/4 court votes on issues. It's not so much "justice" when it can be easily swayed by political court makeup. The SCOTUS needs more checks and balances and as it is has way too much power.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #214
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Why do we have to draw a line somewhere?
    Because only individuals are granted religious freedom in the Constitution - not corporations. As long as the corporation is privately owned (as is the case of HL) you can apply the individuality to the matter. In a corporation that is publicly traded, I just don't see that individuality can be judged as easily and objectively. That's just my opinion.

  5. #215
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I also loathe organized religions.

    But the owners of this company have religious beliefs that are protected by the Constitution, and since SCOTUS is tasked with upholding the Constitution, they made the right decision here. The owners of HL shouldn't be forced to give up their religious beliefs because of government any more than government should be forced to hold and/or agree with their religious beliefs.

    How does this influence your children?
    What if a company claims that their religious beliefs preclude equal treatment of blacks or gays? Would you be just as OK with that?
    Some Muslims beliefs include Sharia Law. Is following that also "protected by the Constitution"?

  6. #216
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,649

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    In my opinion they just don't want to accrue cost.

    This is a portion of a statement that Hobby Lobby Said:



    Don't get me wrong. I applaud this courageous statement for Christianity.....If the company was actually living by it.

    Here is another part of their statement:



    Hmm. This is interesting considering that they Import billions of dollars of products from China. I will take it a step further by adding that they own a company (Hong Kong Connections, Ltd.) in China. Since Hobby Lobby owns a business in China, that means they pay taxes to the Chinese government. In fact, they pay the income tax for each employee by withholding the required percentage from the employee's gross pay. More importantly however, in this context, Hobby Lobby is also required by Chinese law to contribute to each employee's state-mandated health insurance plan, in this case the Urban Employee Basic Medical Insurance, to the tune of about 6% of the employee's pay.

    That insurance not only likely covers abortion , it also covers contraception, including the four types of contraception Hobby Lobby objects to in their lawsuit against the HHS. IUDs are the most popular form of birth control among married women in China. Among single women ages 20-29, the age group that accounts for the majority of abortions in China, the use of emergency contraception like Plan B has increased steadily over the last decade.

    What all of this means is that Hobby Lobby does in China exactly what it refuses to do in the US, namely pay into a state-mandated health insurance plan that covers types of contraceptive methods to which they object on moral grounds.

    This is all fine and good, but the SCOTUS is ruling on the constitutionality of the mandate, not doing a morality fitness test on the plaintiff.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  7. #217
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    That is what will happen too. Just because Republicans think discriminating against women is OK does not mean it will be tolerated. We will simply find other ways of paying for the affected woman's contraception. So Hobby Lobby will save a few bucks but that is IT.
    Not wanting to pay for abortions is discrimination against women now?

  8. #218
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    What if a company claims that their religious beliefs preclude equal treatment of blacks or gays? Would you be just as OK with that?
    We aren't talking about blacks and gays. And there are laws to protect those people.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    What if a company claims that their religious beliefs preclude equal treatment of blacks or gays? Would you be just as OK with that?
    Some Muslims beliefs include Sharia Law. Is following that also "protected by the Constitution"?
    Where does personal responsibility reside in your world. Why would anyone take a job with a company whose policies violate their own personal beliefs. It isn't their money invested in the company and if they want to start their own business then they should do it.

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    We aren't talking about blacks and gays. And there are laws to protect those people.
    No, we are talking about Women which apparently are devoid of rights.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •