Page 20 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1290

Thread: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge[W:513,870]

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I'm not saying he speaks for all conservatives. He spoke for the Heritage Foundation: Conservative Policy Research and Analysis

    Despite your essay response to my original point (which I appreciate, it was a good read), it really doesn't change the legitimacy of what I said. I don't think an idea of conservative origin should have been met with such vitriol -- such that it has been compared unfavourably to slavery and tyranny. It was a moderate conservative idea that was adopted with some success by Romney.

    As Gingrich said, there was plenty of room for discussion during the healthcare reform process. Seems to me that would have been a good time to sit at the table for Republicans (unless Gingrich was lying; I can't vouch for him).
    Right. It would have been a good idea to have another look at Obamacare when every Republican was against and bribes had to be used to get it passed. Any legislation this huge, passed strictly along ideological and party lines, has to be questioned on how successful it might eventually be. There was obviously not much wisdom or farsightedness when this legislation was passed and with few even having read it. Nancy Pelosi's message that 'you have to pass it before you can read it' should have shaken every American awake.

  2. #192
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I don't think an idea of conservative origin should have been met with such vitriol
    A conservative idea, largely abandoned and rejected 15 years earlier, being pushed and presented in a one sided fashion as something that is inherently conservative and that conservatives in 2009/10 should absolutely be on board with naturally DESERVES TO be met with vitriol.

    Just like if a Republican today suggested Democrats should get on board with the voter ID laws at polling places because a similar thing was a Democratic Idea before would, and should, be met with vitriol because it basically is selectively incapsulating a single segment of history years earlier in an effort to misrepresent reality as it relates to the time between then and now.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,570

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I know people who expect it to be free.
    One thing that is absolutely incredible in this case, and it is mostly ignored by both sides, is that they can just go buy their contraceptives anyway. As, what used to be, normal procedure.

    I see arguments here that people are being deprived of contraceptives. Huh? How? The court didn't ban them. No matter if they are covered or not, they still have to go to the store and get them. Cost is low, so that is not the issue. Government force and power over the people is the issue here.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  4. #194
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by DB20 View Post
    Speaking of children, something tells me that in about 20 years my children who will be gainfully employed productive members of society will be paying to support your lazy, unemployed, welfare collecting, drug addicted bastard kids.

    Dude, just stop. Could you possibly be more misinformed? I mean seriously only libertarians and other right wingers work or contribute to society. Get over angry right wing radio talking point self. I've worked all my life and paid my share of taxes.


    Quote Originally Posted by DB20 View Post
    How old are your kids?

    Not that it's any of your ****ing business, but my oldest will graduate from nursing school from a major university in June. She's not done, as she wants to become a nurse practitioner which requires a masters. The youngest is also headed to a similar university this fall. She too will enter medical school. So spare me your rhetorical right wing condescending nonsense.


    Have you already taught them how to use an EBT card?

    Really dude? For the record, I haven't ever had the misfortune of having to use an EBT card. I know lots of good people that had to do so. And, some of them were conservatives. Life happens. Companies close, people get sick, etc. I am damned glad that resource is there in the event one needs it. Just like unemployment. It's an important program. Whether you see the greater need for it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  5. #195
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    One thing that is absolutely incredible in this case, and it is mostly ignored by both sides, is that they can just go buy their contraceptives anyway. As, what used to be, normal procedure.

    I see arguments here that people are being deprived of contraceptives. Huh? How? The court didn't ban them. No matter if they are covered or not, they still have to go to the store and get them. Cost is low, so that is not the issue. Government force and power over the people is the issue here.
    Those arguments are being made by lecherous and dishonest liberals.

    In lala liberal land if you don't pay for something a liberal feels they have a right to despite the fact that they are still perfectly free to obtain it by paying for it themselves, you are violating their rights. In essence, any refusal to subsidize a liberal's lifestyle in any respect it constitutes a violation of their rights. How pathetic.

    This is what passes for logic on the left these days and the fact that so many buy into this logic is further proof that this nation is just circling the drain.
    Last edited by DB20; 06-30-14 at 03:08 PM.

  6. #196
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    What does Hobby Lobby has to do with birth control and Obamacare?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  7. #197
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    A conservative idea, largely abandoned and rejected 15 years earlier, being pushed and presented in a one sided fashion as something that is inherently conservative and that conservatives in 2009/10 should absolutely be on board with naturally DESERVES TO be met with vitriol.
    Okie-dokie. At least according to Gingrich, there was plenty of room for conversation during the healthcare reform process from all parties in 2009. If Obama's solution to reform sucked, what was the alternative? Many Americans were/are tired of paying more for less.

  8. #198
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    That doesn't change the fact that their lobbying will mean an increase in abortions as a result.
    Actually, it does. The four types of contraception were objected to by HL, because they cause an abortion. So, the abortions you say that will occur now because of this ruling, would have occurred anyway by use of these types of contraception... but... with one major difference - the owners of HL will not be forced by the federal government to participate in them by being forced to pay for them.

    Look, I have a major problem with this ruling from the standpoint that I find it difficult to define a "corporation" as having First Amendment Rights. I understand how the SCOTUS came to this decision by stating that a closely held privately owned corporation is difficult to separate from the owners... I get that. What I don't get, is how this may effect the corporate veil that exists in other issues, if at all. The only part of this ruling that allows me to understand the ruling's foundation, is the part where there cannot be a reasonable alternative; for instance, a tax does not have an alternative - everyone has to pay taxes, and since there exists a number of reasonable alternatives to these four forms of contraception, the government did not have the Constitutional power to force this singular means as a mandate without alternatives for the company.

  9. #199
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by DB20 View Post
    Since when are liberals ever concerned with "unintended consequences" of actions. I guess when others act and it could affect them they give a damn but when it's liberals acting in their oh so benevolent way to benefit all of us then it's full steam ahead and unintended consequences be damned.
    LOL....in my experience, Liberals are much more concerned about both the intended and unintended consequences than conservatives, who only seem to care how it affects them personally.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #200
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Doubtful. Abortion was at it's lowest rate since legalization before the mandate kicked in. Meaning less women were getting abortions even when they had to pay for contraception out of their own pocket.
    That just flies in the face of logic.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •