Page 17 of 129 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 1290

Thread: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge[W:513,870]

  1. #161
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by DB20 View Post
    The worker?

    I'm a worker and I've done just fine without a union representing me.

    There's a reason that the private workforce s less than 7% unionized.
    Self hatred is common. There were slaves fine with slavery and women who though they should keep their place. But this does effect the worker, limiting their compensation. That's just a fact.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #162
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,896

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Settle down. You knew what I meant the first time.
    No, I didn't. There is a difference between singular and plural pronouns, and "my" is very different from "our." Further, "we, the people" is a commonplace; if that were your intended meaning, you would've used "our."

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Self hatred is common. There were slaves fine with slavery and women who though they should keep their place. But this does effect the worker, limiting their compensation. That's just a fact.
    Self hatred?

    Ah yes you wouldn't be a good liberal unless you served up a heaping helping of condescension toward those who disagree with you in a smug, smarmy manner would you.

    I've done fine all my life without being in a union. I have a nice home, two children a decent job and can manage my finances and I don't need a union for any of this.

    If you're unable to function and succeed as an individual and need thuggish unions to act on your behalf please don't assume everyone else shares your inferior life skills.

  4. #164
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I reject Christianity, and despise anti-abortionists. However, with regard to "closely held" companies like Hobby Lobby, which this ruling seems to be limited to, I agree with this decision. If it had been a corporation, (traded on a stock exchange), I would not support the decision.
    I am for Christianity. But I can't stand when so called Christians hide behind the word of God to Shield their true motives.

    In this case Hobby Lobby is doing just that.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  5. #165
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Self hatred is common. There were slaves fine with slavery and women who though they should keep their place. But this does effect the worker, limiting their compensation. That's just a fact.
    The phrase "the worker" has never been an American descriptor of individuals. It's an Eastern bloc, dehumanizing reference that Americans have always rejected in favor of our traditional emphasis on self-actualization. Probably useful to the more extreme Obama supporters and socialist Europeans, however.
    Last edited by Ray410; 06-30-14 at 02:06 PM.

  6. #166
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So then you support Newt Gingrich now?
    I never said I even supported the mandate. Just pointing out that he endorsed it. What good is a conservative think tank if it doesn't produce conservative ideas?

    I suggest you pay attention to what Newt actually said and not what you want to believe.
    This clip really should dispel once and for all any questions over Gingrich's support for a national health-insurance mandate. Somewhat strangely he's never really denied supporting the mandate, and in fact as late as May of last year reiterated essentially the same position on Meet the Press. Yet throughout the campaign he has said repeatedly that it is "clearly unconstitutional", and more recently claimed absurdly that he has only ever supported state level mandates. Well, here you have it: not only has Gingrich been a long-standing proponent of a federal health insurance mandate, he clearly and unequivocally called for it as part of the White House health reform initiative in May 2009. Mission accomplished then.


    Edit: I would just like to point out that the video and the clip do not necessarily go together. The original 'clip' was an audio of Gingrich supporting the federal mandate (but was too clunky to post). The clip I used was a substite I found on Youtube which said the same thing.
    Last edited by Amadeus; 06-30-14 at 02:13 PM.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    That would be pretty cool. The STFU part. But let's not let the facts get in the way. When you say "You guys", I'll assume you are referring to me as one of those who oppose this move. And yes I do. I loathe organized religion. I loathe the idea that your delusional beliefs in a book of fairy tales is influencing my life or that of my children. And as to the other religions, keep them the **** out of my government.

    Speaking of children, something tells me that in about 20 years my children who will be gainfully employed productive members of society will be paying to support your lazy, unemployed, welfare collecting, drug addicted bastard kids.

    How old are your kids? Have you already taught them how to use an EBT card?

  8. #168
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    I am for Christianity. But I can't stand when so called Christians hide behind the word of God to Shield their true motives.

    In this case Hobby Lobby is doing just that.
    In your opinion what is Hobby Lobby "true motive?

  9. #169
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    A decision by the Supreme Court against a gender.


  10. #170
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,729

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    I am taking a middle of the road approach.

    1) The Supreme Court decision only affects companies in which 5 members of the same family own more than 50% of the stock. In an instance like this, I can agree with the decision, in that the owner's religious views must be respected. So, good decision.

    2) This will not affect women obtaining contraceptives, since there is going to be an administrative fix in which contraceptives will be subsidized by Obamacare. I also agree with this. Women will not have religious views forced down their throats, and at the same time, the owners of Hobby Lobby will not be forced to pay for something that is against their religion.

    All in all, I call this a win-win situation.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •