Page 15 of 129 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 1290

Thread: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge[W:513,870]

  1. #141
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    That would be pretty cool. The STFU part. But let's not let the facts get in the way. When you say "You guys", I'll assume you are referring to me as one of those who oppose this move. And yes I do. I loathe organized religion. I loathe the idea that your delusional beliefs in a book of fairy tales is influencing my life or that of my children. And as to the other religions, keep them the **** out of my government.
    You mean OUR government. It's not yours; it's ours.

  2. #142
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,296

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by DB20 View Post
    and many of us loathe your belief in the government controlling our lives and influencing the lives of our children. We loathe that you and so many like you are collectivist borg that can't think or act for yourselves. We loathe that you jump at every opportunity to aid the federal government in subjugating us because you've already allowed youreself to be completely subjugated.
    Meh, just keep your religious nonsense out of my government and my schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  3. #143
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,296

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    You mean OUR government. It's not yours; it's ours.
    My government is mine. And you can't have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  4. #144
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I can use the same words and phrasing repeatedly if you like. From now on I'll just say 'strong conservative roots' to avoid the accusations of goal post changing.
    Whatever works for you, goal posts or not.

  5. #145
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,296

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Obviously, having the government as your religion does not bring one quite the joy and happiness as those blessed with a strong faith. Quite the opposite actually, as this post illustrates, the endless shrieking rage of the government dependent atheists is a pitiful life to live, barren of all but their boundless hatred.
    Spare me your righteous babble. Religion is fine, just keep it to yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  6. #146
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    And of course, conservative support for the mandate -- which existed -- dropped to zero when Obama adopted it. So I agree that Obama did the intelligent thing, but it ultimately backfired as a compromise (and it was a compromise).
    You seem to have a problem ignoring responses given to this same claim liberals make over and over again. There is a difference between a state and federal mandate but apparently that reality escapes you. The State of MA adopted a healthcare mandate and that is the right of every state to do that. The problem comes in when the Federal Govt. mandates a one size fits all program for 50 independent sovereign states. Work towards that Massive central govt. is a mistake on your part but unfortunately it will be too late to say I told you so if it is ever fully initiated.

  7. #147
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    And if there was no difference between the 20 versions, that would be a fine answer. But for lots of reasons some women can't take the cheapest generic version and require some of the newer options, which aren't $4/month.

    The bottom line is the ruling said providing no cost contraception, and for all 20 options, serves a compelling government interest, but that the government has a less restrictive way to accomplish that other than a mandate on all employers. So they carved out a very narrow restriction for closely held corporations. Essentially, because HHS has said to insurers of religious orgs exempt from the requirement, you (insurers) shall provide contraception for free, and the savings from not having as many pregnant mothers and new babies will offset the costs of providing contraception. And the availability of this option for religious orgs means HHS must extend this option to for-profit orgs in some cases.
    Frankly, the vast, vast, vast majority of women just take the generic. If you don't take the generic, and you disagree with the ruling, then why not just find another company to work for? The health insurance benefits package is already a consideration most people take into account when they decide to work at a company or not.

    I am not a fan of fundies, and frankly I would not work for a company owned by them for this very reason. However, I think its a stupid battle to pick in the culture wars as in the end, its impact is pretty minimal.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #148
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    My government is mine. And you can't have it.
    Whatever.

    Last time I heard, it was "we, the people," not "I, the person."

  9. #149
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You seem to have a problem ignoring responses given to this same claim liberals make over and over again. There is a difference between a state and federal mandate but apparently that reality escapes you. The State of MA adopted a healthcare mandate and that is the right of every state to do that. The problem comes in when the Federal Govt. mandates a one size fits all program for 50 independent sovereign states. Work towards that Massive central govt. is a mistake on your part but unfortunately it will be too late to say I told you so if it is ever fully initiated.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the original idea was a federal mandate, which the (former) Speaker of the House endorsed prior to Obama.

  10. #150
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Spare me your righteous babble. Religion is fine, just keep it to yourself.
    Don't flatter yourself. That post wasn't about, nor do I have any interest in, providing religious information to you. Not in the slightest. Try and read for understanding.
    Last edited by Ray410; 06-30-14 at 01:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •