Page 14 of 129 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 1290

Thread: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge[W:513,870]

  1. #131
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Please provide a link to the Republican Plan that was presented to Congress back then. Also, if you could, provide the record of the votes that were taken.

    Thanks
    I don't need to do this to prove that the individual mandate has conservative roots and was embraced by some conservatives prior to Obama adopting it.

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    Obama didn't even try to sell it. That's the problem with centrists. They get burned on both sides.
    Because if there's one thing I'd say about Obama, he's not unintelligent. There was no way he was going to convince all the member FROM HIS OWN PARTY to get on board with socialized medicine. There were a large number of democrats in the house and senate that made it perfectly clear that such a thing was a non-starter. There's no reason to try to sell something that you have no hope of actually selling. All you would do then is waste time, effort, and resources that could be better spent focusing on something that's actually achievable.

  3. #133
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,936

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    This is what Obama gets for trying to compromise. He should have gone with true Socialized Medicine, which would have avoided this situation.
    Obama.....compromise........like how, like he did with the POS 1,700 page healthcare novel that no one read?!

  4. #134
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Because if there's one thing I'd say about Obama, he's not unintelligent. There was no way he was going to convince all the member FROM HIS OWN PARTY to get on board with socialized medicine. There were a large number of democrats in the house and senate that made it perfectly clear that such a thing was a non-starter. There's no reason to try to sell something that you have no hope of actually selling. All you would do then is waste time, effort, and resources that could be better spent focusing on something that's actually achievable.
    And of course, conservative support for the mandate -- which existed -- dropped to zero when Obama adopted it. So I agree that Obama did the intelligent thing, but it ultimately backfired as a compromise (and it was a compromise).

  5. #135
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    That would be pretty cool. The STFU part. But let's not let the facts get in the way. When you say "You guys", I'll assume you are referring to me as one of those who oppose this move. And yes I do. I loathe organized religion. I loathe the idea that your delusional beliefs in a book of fairy tales is influencing my life or that of my children. And as to the other religions, keep them the **** out of my government.
    And see, that's where you're opinions and existence on this earth become obsolete. To cast aside the beliefs held by millions of Christians, including me, as "delusional beliefs in a book of fairy tales" just shows your complete lack of any meaningful depth or contribution anywhere your lowly presence finds itself. And sadly, I know it masks a deep sense of self hatred and purposelessness.

  6. #136
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    I don't need to do this to prove that the individual mandate has conservative roots and was embraced by some conservatives prior to Obama adopting it.
    I thought you wrote it has "strong" conservative roots. Then I think you wrote it was based on conservative ideas. Then it was based on Romenycare.

    Look, I understand the reason this meme about Obamacare being a Republican plan is spread around.

    If you want to join the rest of the liberal chorus blaming the right for the unilateral decisions of the left, so be it.

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,767

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Ok, what SCOTUS has ruled is that a company does not have to pay for birth control as part of their healthcare plan if it violates the religious beliefs of the company. It seems to me that only a very small number of companies would choose to not offer birth control coverage as its much cheaper to pay for contraception than to pay for child birth.

    Just the same, being you can get a prescription for the pill as a generic at Target for 4 dollars, what is the big deal? It is cheaper to pay for the pill out of pocket than to pay for the prescription copay on most plans anyway.
    And if there was no difference between the 20 versions, that would be a fine answer. But for lots of reasons some women can't take the cheapest generic version and require some of the newer options, which aren't $4/month.

    The bottom line is the ruling said providing no cost contraception, and for all 20 options, serves a compelling government interest, but that the government has a less restrictive way to accomplish that other than a mandate on all employers. So they carved out a very narrow restriction for closely held corporations. Essentially, because HHS has said to insurers of religious orgs exempt from the requirement, you (insurers) shall provide contraception for free, and the savings from not having as many pregnant mothers and new babies will offset the costs of providing contraception. And the availability of this option for religious orgs means HHS must extend this option to for-profit orgs in some cases.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    That would be pretty cool. The STFU part. But let's not let the facts get in the way. When you say "You guys", I'll assume you are referring to me as one of those who oppose this move. And yes I do. I loathe organized religion. I loathe the idea that your delusional beliefs in a book of fairy tales is influencing my life or that of my children. And as to the other religions, keep them the **** out of my government.
    and many of us loathe your belief in the government controlling our lives and influencing the lives of our children. We loathe that you and so many like you are collectivist borg that can't think or act for yourselves. We loathe that you jump at every opportunity to aid the federal government in subjugating us because you've already allowed youreself to be completely subjugated.

  9. #139
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I thought you wrote it has "strong" conservative roots. Then I think you wrote it was based on conservative ideas. Then it was based on Romenycare.
    I can use the same words and phrasing repeatedly if you like. From now on I'll just say 'strong conservative roots' to avoid the accusations of goal post changing.

  10. #140
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,296

    Re: Supreme Court backs Hobby Lobby in contraceptive mandate challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    And see, that's where you're opinions and existence on this earth become obsolete. To cast aside the beliefs held by millions of Christians, including me, as "delusional beliefs in a book of fairy tales" just shows your complete lack of any meaningful depth or contribution anywhere your lowly presence finds itself. And sadly, I know it masks a deep sense of self hatred and purposelessness.
    Why thanks Dr. Erod. Now meanwhile back to the ****ed up world of Christian Sharia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •