Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 103

Thread: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmembers to

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Some reports are saying this applies to way more than home health care workers. The suggestion is union's can't force people to pay dues? If that's true it'd be a truly GREAT day for our nation.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    Some reports are saying this applies to way more than home health care workers. The suggestion is union's can't force people to pay dues? If that's true it'd be a truly GREAT day for our nation.
    It specifically doesn't do that.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Fair share fees are still very much legal what was decided was a narrow reversal of the unique example in Illinois.

    "The court held on a 5-4 vote that the free speech and free association rights of the workers were violated but the scope of the ruling was limited because the justices decided not to upend a decades-old practice that lets public-sector unions collect money from workers who do not want union representation."

    Supreme Court deals setback to unions - chicagotribune.com
    I think it's safe to say this paves the way for any and all opposition to the practice. It's a good day.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  4. #24
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,377

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yayy! Now they get all the benefits and representation that union offers for their employment but they dont have to pay the dues!
    Maybe the unions can market themselves with different dues rates so that someone who doesn't want their funds to go to political campaigns can pay a lower amount in dues and support the union activities they do support.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I think it's safe to say this paves the way for any and all opposition to the practice. It's a good day.
    That seems doubtful. If the court wasn't willing to rule so broadly in this case what makes you think they are laying the brickwork to do so five years from now?

  6. #26
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Neither of you have a clue what the case was about. Do you?
    On the contrary, I sure do.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    That seems doubtful. If the court wasn't willing to rule so broadly in this case what makes you think they are laying the brickwork to do so five years from now?
    The reasoning is in place and the precedent has been set. The freedom of association is abridged by this practice, essentially forcing people into unwanted associations. The constitutional error in this practice has been pointed out and anyone that wants to oppose it now has the silver bullet.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #28
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    What does forced Union dues have to do with " Public Services "?
    They are both being starved of funds by the Republicans so they can become nonfunctional.

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    On the contrary, I sure do.
    If you think this directly effects actual government employees, you don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Supreme Court says public sector union of home care workers can't force nonmember

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Yayy! Now they get all the benefits and representation that union offers for their employment but they dont have to pay the dues!
    I agree with the idea that an employee shouldn't be required to join a union and/or pay fees, but... I also feel that if a person chooses to not join then they shouldn't get any of the benefits, either. They should negotiate their own individual contract and cover their own rear end if something happens.

    My opinion, may or may not be in line with the ruling.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •