Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 150

Thread: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

  1. #1
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    This is a victory for free speech, but likely will make the abortion debate more contentious.

    Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously struck down a Massachusetts law that barred protests near abortion clinics.
    The law, enacted in 2007, created 35-foot buffer zones around entrances to abortion clinics. State officials said the law was a response to a history of harassment and violence at abortion clinics in Massachusetts, including a shooting rampage at two facilities in 1994.
    The law was challenged on First Amendment grounds by opponents of abortion who said they sought to have quiet conversations with women entering clinics to tell them about alternatives to abortion.
    The court was unanimous about the bottom line but divided on the reasoning. Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote a relatively narrow majority opinion. He was joined by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen G. Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. He suggested that the state could pursue other alternatives.
    Justice Antonin Scalia, in a concurrence joined by Justices Anthony M. Kennedy and Clarence Thomas, said the majority’s approach was too tentative. The law, he said, is “unconstitutional root and branch.”
    Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. filed a separate concurrence.

    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    This is great news for anyone that truly believe sin free speech. Most liberals claim they do but don't so will view this as bad news.


    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

    -Voltaire

    If you can't appreciate that quote, regardless of your political views then I have no use for you.

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    This is a victory for free speech, but likely will make the abortion debate more contentious.

    Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously struck down a Massachusetts law that barred protests near abortion clinics.
    The law, enacted in 2007, created 35-foot buffer zones around entrances to abortion clinics. State officials said the law was a response to a history of harassment and violence at abortion clinics in Massachusetts, including a shooting rampage at two facilities in 1994.
    The law was challenged on First Amendment grounds by opponents of abortion who said they sought to have quiet conversations with women entering clinics to tell them about alternatives to abortion.
    The court was unanimous about the bottom line but divided on the reasoning. Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote a relatively narrow majority opinion. He was joined by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen G. Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. He suggested that the state could pursue other alternatives.
    Justice Antonin Scalia, in a concurrence joined by Justices Anthony M. Kennedy and Clarence Thomas, said the majority’s approach was too tentative. The law, he said, is “unconstitutional root and branch.”
    Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. filed a separate concurrence.

    I think that was the right thing to do.

    Maybe it'll entice some anti-abortion people to stand outside and offer to pay a woman's medical expenses and adopt her baby.

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,709

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think that was the right thing to do.

    Maybe it'll entice some anti-abortion people to stand outside and offer to pay a woman's medical expenses and adopt her baby.
    You mean instead of being better able to harass her as she enters and exits the building because they can get right up in her face?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You mean instead of being better able to harass her as she enters and exits the building because they can get right up in her face?
    Abortion clinics deserve no more protection than we give our war dead . . . a/k/a SCOTUS ruling of 2011 re Westboro Baptist Church.

  6. #6
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Abortion clinics deserve no more protection than we give our war dead . . . a/k/a SCOTUS ruling of 2011 re Westboro Baptist Church.
    I think citizens deserve better privacy protections.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    260

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You mean instead of being better able to harass her as she enters and exits the building because they can get right up in her face?
    SO I take it you're not in favor of any protesters being able to harass anyone? You have the same problem with the Occupy protestors harassing millionare and billionare businessmen? i doubt you would.

    The law must be applied equally in all cases, not just when it serves one's political agenda. Either all protestors must be allowed to stand on the sidewalk or they all must be in a free speech zone. I'd prefer the former.

  8. #8
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,343

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Abortion clinics deserve no more protection than we give our war dead . . . a/k/a SCOTUS ruling of 2011 re Westboro Baptist Church.
    I agree with you sentiment but I think this law was intended to protect the patient, not the clinic. The other issue is to "protect" the grieving and not the corpse.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  9. #9
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,935

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    Quote Originally Posted by DB20 View Post
    SO I take it you're not in favor of any protesters being able to harass anyone? You have the same problem with the Occupy protestors harassing millionare and billionare businessmen? i doubt you would.

    The law must be applied equally in all cases, not just when it serves one's political agenda. Either all protestors must be allowed to stand on the sidewalk or they all must be in a free speech zone. I'd prefer the former.
    "Free speech zones" were created, to my knowledge, in reaction to protests of government actions. I don't think protests should be restricted from government officials, but private citizens (yes, even the Monopoly Guy) deserve greater protections.

  10. #10
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Supreme Court Strikes Down Abortion Clinic Buffer Zones

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I think citizens deserve better privacy protections.
    So do the families and friends at military funerals. It's the price we pay for freedom.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •