Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 155

Thread: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

  1. #81
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Well, I hate to break it to you, but commerce is the name of the game. And let me remind you that Saddam used WMDs to kill hundreds of thousands of his own people. Have you ever been to the middle east? I would be curious to know. It seems that people who have been there have a somewhat different perspective than those who just read it in the news.
    The US used WMD's to kill hundreds of thousands of Japanese citizens, but then I didn't mention WMD in the post you quoted, did I? The false connection of Iraq and OBL, al Qaeda and 9/11. Ron Paul has been to the ME, he too has a different perspective than you. Are you insinuating that everybody who visits the ME walks away thinking that the US needs to engage in "regime change" in all the countries Gen. Wesley Clark revealed was in fact the Bush administrations plans? Btw, nice to see your candid about the cost of commerce.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What's $500 million between friends?
    Friends?

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I appreciate your position, but respectfully reassert, US foreign policy is influenced by big business and what benifits big business, while the Bush's, Reagan's, Clintons and Obama's come and go. When you speak in terms of what's in the best interests of the citizens of the Middle East, indeed, US foreign policy in the region under obama is a disaster, however, when you consider the interests of the citizens of the ME, US foreign policy under Bush was a disaster. There is no respect for partisan politics and patting Bush on the back while slapping Obama in the face solves nothing. They both have projected disastrous policies in the ME. How will we ever see improvement like this??
    Which 'Big Business are you referring to? The only Big Business which appears to have influence with this president is GE, or some small ones he gave public money to during the 'Stimulus Plan' and the 'Green Energy' debacles.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Which 'Big Business are you referring to? The only Big Business which appears to have influence with this president is GE, or some small ones he gave public money to during the 'Stimulus Plan' and the 'Green Energy' debacles.
    Here's a good place to start.

    Military/Industrial Complex

    And more here.

    The business of war is profitable. In 2011, the 100 largest contractors sold $410 billion in arms and military services. Just 10 of those companies sold over $208 billion. Based on a list of the top 100 arms-producing and military services companies in 2011 compiled by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the 10 companies with the most military sales worldwide.

    These companies have benefited tremendously from the growth in military spending in the U.S., which by far has the largest military budget in the world. In 2000, the U.S. defense budget was approximately $312 billion. By 2011, the figure had grown to $712 billion. Arm sales grew alongside general defense spending growth. SIPRI noted that between 2002 and 2011, arms sales among the top 100 companies grew by 51%.


    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...m-war/1970997/
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Here's a good place to start.

    Military/Industrial Complex

    And more here.

    The business of war is profitable. In 2011, the 100 largest contractors sold $410 billion in arms and military services. Just 10 of those companies sold over $208 billion. Based on a list of the top 100 arms-producing and military services companies in 2011 compiled by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the 10 companies with the most military sales worldwide.

    These companies have benefited tremendously from the growth in military spending in the U.S., which by far has the largest military budget in the world. In 2000, the U.S. defense budget was approximately $312 billion. By 2011, the figure had grown to $712 billion. Arm sales grew alongside general defense spending growth. SIPRI noted that between 2002 and 2011, arms sales among the top 100 companies grew by 51%.


    10 companies profiting the most from war
    Okay, so Lockheed Martin and Boeing are the worst offenders it seems. What do you propose we do about these two?

  6. #86
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Okay, so Lockheed Martin and Boeing are the worst offenders it seems. What do you propose we do about these two?
    How does ten equal two? And those ten are just the BIGGEST profiteers of war. I realize its difficult for you to accept that big business influences US foreign policy, but USATODAY laid it out clearly. Read the article and be a part of the solution not the problem.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    How does ten equal two? And those ten are just the BIGGEST profiteers of war. I realize its difficult for you to accept that big business influences US foreign policy, but USATODAY laid it out clearly. Read the article and be a part of the solution not the problem.
    I named the top two offenders out of the ten. What do you say we do about them? If you want to list the top ten and offer a solution to them then do it but it seemed two would be easier for you to handle.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I named the top two offenders out of the ten. What do you say we do about them? If you want to list the top ten and offer a solution to them then do it but it seemed two would be easier for you to handle.
    I can handle all ten. Actually there's hundreds of companies that are profiteers of US offensive actions abroad. USAToday was only highlighting the top ten beneficiaries. The solution though is quite simple, in fact I thought a man such as yourself would have figured it out by now. There are a couple of your fellow republicans, politicians, that have. Ron and Rand can tell you all about it.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    I can handle all ten. Actually there's hundreds of companies that are profiteers of US offensive actions abroad. USAToday was only highlighting the top ten beneficiaries. The solution though is quite simple, in fact I thought a man such as yourself would have figured it out by now. There are a couple of your fellow republicans, politicians, that have. Ron and Rand can tell you all about it.
    I'm not having the discussion with them. You brought up this list and I asked you what you would do about just two of the companies. Well, what would YOU do??

  10. #90
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I'm not having the discussion with them. You brought up this list and I asked you what you would do about just two of the companies. Well, what would YOU do??
    I suppose you mean, if I were president. If so, my foreign policy in the ME would be aimed at stability for the region that would be a benefit to the citizens of that region as opposed to the policy of destabilisation that we have seen for better than three decades which has led to multiple US military actions in the region resulting in big profits for the companies that comprise the US military industrial complex, and not just the two you mention or the ten that my article mentioned.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •