Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 155

Thread: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

  1. #41
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin' HB. This is ridiculous with whats going on in Iraq and Syria. Is he just trying to deflect to say he sent something to Congress and that he is following the protocols?
    It is ridiculous. I honestly think it's Obama's attempt to make people believe he actually has a coherent foreign policy rather than just doing stuff on the fly. This is incoherent, though, so it's a big fail. If we truly wanted to make a difference in this mess, it should've been done years ago. Now we're just pouring gas on the flames.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin' Monte Well lets not forget the other participants. That would be the Saud and Qatar and the MB. An All Sunni Clerics in the ME. Then AQ and their Likes.

    So yes we have contributed and you know I agree with both our parties people in overseas affairs have been played, outwitted, and outthought. Repubs and Demos.
    Howdy MMC!!, I agree, there are more participants than I mentioned, I'm not certain that the ME destabilisation that has occurred at the behest of both parties is unintentional or complete incompetence. Gen. Wesley Clarke has been criticised by the right for pointing out that the Pentagon had plans ready for regime change in Iraq, Iran, Libya, Syria and two or three others. Several Bush and Blair administration officials have subsequently pointed out matter of fact, that it was for the purpose of stabilising oil supply/price, no accidents here.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  3. #43
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    WASHINGTON (AP) President Barack Obama asked Congress Thursday for $500 million to train and arm vetted members of the Syrian opposition, as the U.S. struggles for a way to stem a civil war that has also fueled the al-Qaida inspired insurgency in neighboring Iraq.

    The military training program would deepen the Obama administration's involvement in the more than four-year conflict between rebels and forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar Assad. If approved by Congress, the program would supplement a covert train-and-assistance program run by U.S. intelligence agencies.

    The Syria program is part of a broader $65.8 billion overseas operations request that the administration sent to Congress Thursday. The package includes $1 billion to help stabilize nations bordering Syria that are struggling with the effects of the civil war. It also formalizes a request for a previously announced $1 billion to strengthen the U.S. military presence in Central and Eastern Europe amid Russia's threatening moves in Ukraine.

    snip


    WTH? He really doesn't have a clue.


    Hah, good timing POTUS!
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSaindo View Post
    The more messed up the ME is, the easier to control. At least that is the White House modus operandi it seems.
    Order out of chaos, a very VERY old political strategy. A strong, united and allied ME is good for the ME and bad for Western big oil.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  5. #45
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin' HB. This is ridiculous with whats going on in Iraq and Syria. Is he just trying to deflect to say he sent something to Congress and that he is following the protocols?
    Oh absolutely yes! We all know he is a stickler for following protocol, down to the last dotted "i" and crossed "t". It's so important for a leader to set the tone for his administration for all to copy - which they do - don't you agree?

    Greetings, MMC.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    It is ridiculous. I honestly think it's Obama's attempt to make people believe he actually has a coherent foreign policy rather than just doing stuff on the fly. This is incoherent, though, so it's a big fail. If we truly wanted to make a difference in this mess, it should've been done years ago. Now we're just pouring gas on the flames.

    This is something Hillarys Book alludes to.....That BO just Wings it. Which is clearly being seen here. Moreover I have up a bit of material on all the players. Have you heard anything that is criticizing this decision from someone who lets say..... is someone that analyzes FP?

  7. #47
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSaindo View Post
    The more messed up the ME is, the easier to control. At least that is the White House modus operandi it seems.
    Lt. Gen William Odom, director of the NSA under Reagan had this to say,

    "Because the United States itself has a long record of supporting terrorists and using terrorist tactics, the slogans of today’s war on terrorism merely makes the United States look hypocritical to the rest of the world."

    And, in a desert base in Nevada,

    It was here that the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) conducted training, beginning in 2005, for members of the Mujahideen-e-Khalq, a dissident Iranian opposition group known in the West as the M.E.K. The M.E.K. had its beginnings as a Marxist-Islamist student-led group and, in the nineteen-seventies, it was linked to the assassination of six American citizens.

    http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...12/04/mek.html
    Last edited by Montecresto; 06-27-14 at 11:05 AM.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  8. #48
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    So, US foreign policy, arming, training and using terrorist groups far predates Obama. But the partisans on both sides only point a finger at the other side. Pathetic.
    Killing one person is murder, killing 100,000 is foreign policy

  9. #49
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    This is something Hillarys Book alludes to.....That BO just Wings it. Which is clearly being seen here. Moreover I have up a bit of material on all the players. Have you heard anything that is criticizing this decision from someone who lets say..... is someone that analyzes FP?
    No, I haven't, really. I read Krauthammer's comments, but I've sort of been waiting for it to be shot down in Congress. Understand, it's my view that if it doesn't affect domestic politics, Obama isn't interested. So I think it's largely a show to give Obama cover to do nothing. This might be a rare case in which he's correct in spite of himself. I don't know.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama seeks $500M to train, equip Syrian rebels

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Howdy MMC!!, I agree, there are more participants than I mentioned, I'm not certain that the ME destabilisation that has occurred at the behest of both parties is unintentional or complete incompetence. Gen. Wesley Clarke has been criticised by the right for pointing out that the Pentagon had plans ready for regime change in Iraq, Iran, Libya, Syria and two or three others. Several Bush and Blair administration officials have subsequently pointed out matter of fact, that it was for the purpose of stabilising oil supply/price, no accidents here.


    It seems to have been going down this road for the last 20 years with our people. To much into living off the camera and getting facetime. Revelin in all the pomp and ceremony with each and every visit. Taking in all the so called meaningful compliments and living off that type of BS. Ego and I am somebody.

    Have you seen any gains against these terrorists? al Nusra has reached the Golan Heights. What do you think their next phase will be? I don't think any can miss it.

    Now under BO.....terrorism has grown, expanded, and morphed. Look how the Ansar al Sharia groups started. From Yemen and moved west and back home to Africa. Now they are springing up all over the place. The kicker is.....some of them are just like charitable organizations. No fighters and not about the violence. New confusion to the mix of things.

    Its all moving westward.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •