Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 232

Thread: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power[W:74:88]

  1. #61
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    70,220

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, he's not.

    You say it's nothing new. Fine. Present to me another instance where a President made recess appointments while the congress considered itself still in session.

    Since it's "nothing new" as you claim then you should be able to provide examples.

    The issue here is NOT about the Presidents authority to make recess appointments. This case did not challenge that authority.

    It challenged the Presidents authority to make recess appointments when congress is NOT IN RECESS.

    So, Bush only made those appointments because congress couldn't be in session due to the use of the horse and buggy to get to DC?

  2. #62
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    24,367

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by zyphlin View Post
    no, he's not.

    You say it's nothing new. Fine. Present to me another instance where a president made recess appointments while the congress considered itself still in session.

    Since it's "nothing new" as you claim then you should be able to provide examples.

    The issue here is not about the presidents authority to make recess appointments. This case did not challenge that authority.

    It challenged the presidents authority to make recess appointments when congress is not in recess.

    sos dd
    Quote Originally Posted by Logicman View Post
    Trump doesn't hold a candle to Obama when it comes to lying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,531

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That's not true. Bush appointing 7/9, circumventing procedure in the process, is similar.
    But did not circumvent RECESS APPOINTMENT PROCESSES...he circumvented the normal appointment process BY recess appointing people during times when the congress was in recess. Something that has been done for decades.

    That is ENTIRELY UNLIKE Obama who circumvented not only the normal appointment process, but the recess appointment process as well, by declaring congress in recess when it was not in recess.

    No, they are not alike. One was a long standing constitutional action that has been perpetrated by multiple presidents (including Obama) and is routinely not challenged any longer in court.

    One was an unprecedented instance circumventing all previous standing by the EXECUTIVE BRANCH declaring that Congress was in recess and taking action based on that declaration, despite congresses assertion of ITS OWN STATUS as being "in session".
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,531

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    So, Bush only made those appointments because congress couldn't be in session due to the use of the horse and buggy to get to DC?
    He made those appointments because the congress was not in session. Simple as that. Recess appointments do not require that congress CAN'T be in session...it requires that they are NOT in sessoin.

    In one instance a president made recess appointments WHILE CONGRESS WAS IN RECESS...which has long been established as constitutional and has been done repeatedly by multiple presents.

    In one instance a president made recess appointments WHILE CONGRESS WAS IN SESSION...which has now been found unconstitutional and has never been done before.

    This is evident by the fact that this case was NOT challenging the notion of recess appointments themselves...but specifically challenging the use of recess appointments when congress claims to be in session and the executive branch claims otherwise.

    Yet you and your supporters continue to attempt to deflect and point blame desperately and pathetically because you can't actually deal honestly with the actual reality of the situation now so you must attempt to divert attention and blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,286
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    In the OP, you clearly painted this as an Obama problem.
    It is and was, that's why the decision was on Obama's actions. Not Bush's.
    Better Living Through Regulation - DNC



  6. #66
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,286
    Blog Entries
    16

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That's not true. Bush appointing 7/9, circumventing procedure in the process, is similar.
    Not in the least.

    Did Bush declare that the House and Senate were in recess thus he could do this?

    No he did not. Thus your point isn't just wrong, it's completely absurd.

    I'll make it easier for you:

    Bush made a right on red, Obama blew through a stop sign through cross traffic.
    Better Living Through Regulation - DNC



  7. #67
    global liberation


    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    70,220

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Not in the least.

    Did Bush declare that the House and Senate were in recess thus he could do this?

    No he did not. Thus your point isn't just wrong, it's completely absurd.

    I'll make it easier for you:

    Bush made a right on red, Obama blew through a stop sign through cross traffic.

    And he just HAD to make recess appointments because those horse and buggies couldn't get to DC in time.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,143
    Blog Entries
    31

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    He made those appointments because the congress was not in session. Simple as that. Recess appointments do not require that congress CAN'T be in session...it requires that they are NOT in sessoin.

    In one instance a president made recess appointments WHILE CONGRESS WAS IN RECESS...which has long been established as constitutional and has been done repeatedly by multiple presents.

    In one instance a president made recess appointments WHILE CONGRESS WAS IN SESSION...which has now been found unconstitutional and has never been done before.

    This is evident by the fact that this case was NOT challenging the notion of recess appointments themselves...but specifically challenging the use of recess appointments when congress claims to be in session and the executive branch claims otherwise.

    Yet you and your supporters continue to attempt to deflect and point blame desperately and pathetically because you can't actually deal honestly with the actual reality of the situation now so you must attempt to divert attention and blame.
    Yes, it was a very narrow ruling. Recess appointments are still very much alive and well. What is not is recess appointment when congress says they are in session. Who decides when congress is in session, congress does. No one else.

    what I am more interested in finding out, is all the decision made by the NLRB while these illegal appointed members were on it, will they become null and void or will they stand? You seen anything on this?
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,531

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    And he just HAD to make recess appointments because those horse and buggies couldn't get to DC in time.
    This is a deflection.

    Whether or not Bush HAD to do it, he did it in a constitutional way that has been done in the past by other presidents and during a time when CONGRESS CONSIDERED ITSELF IN RECESS.

    Obama did it in an unconstitutional way, that had not been done before, during a time when CONGRESS CONSIDERED ITSELF IN SESSION.

    These are not the same no matter how many times you ignorantly and ridiculously stomp your feet and declare that they are.

    No one in this case is arguing that recess appointments are not allowed to be done, or can't be done if "congress can make it there in horse nad buggies" or any other such non-sense and bull**** that you keep spewing. They were arguing that recess appointments can't be done while congress is in sessoin.

    Either show us an example of Bush appointing people while the congress considered itself in session or stop trying to deflect with non-related bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,531

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Know what, I'm going to go forward focusing on THIS ACTUAL CASE and situations related to THIS ACTUAL case. I'd hope others will join me

    Perosita, I agree that it'll be interesting to see what happens with rulings during that time. I would expect thety would remain in place as the board was acting in good faith that they were appropriately placed...but I'm honestly not sure. Would be a great thing to end up finding out about.

    While I think this will give some backing to the legitimacy of the notion of challenging some of the actions of this adminstration that the congress is currently talking about (this, along with a number of other 9-0 decisions against the Executive), I hope that no one on the right foolishly over plays their hand and think they can somehow use this as a means of pushing for impeachment. I would LIKE to think that congress is smarter than that, but I don't know about some of the rank and file around the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •