Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 232

Thread: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power[W:74:88]

  1. #51
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Clearly that was too much, but let's not pretend that previous presidents (including republicans) have not made extensive use of recess appointments to the NLRB (circumventing procedure), even after congress stopped using the horse and carriage.
    No one is saying otherwise, as far as I have read in this thread, although when those recess appointments were made, the Senate was actually in recess.

  2. #52
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    again the facts make the right wing go crazy.
    What 'facts'? Link, please.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  3. #53
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,289

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    Is it even possible for there to be a discussion on this forum without throwing Bush into the mix? Bush is NOT president. Hasn't been for 6 long years.
    Eco's point was rather simple and relevant. Had you actually read his post you might have learned something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  4. #54
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Eco's point was rather simple and relevant. Had you actually read his post you might have learned something.
    There is NEVER a link or any data to show that what people on the right post are incorrect. Just a trolling statement that we are all nuts. If you are going to call someone ****ing crazy the least you could do is post a link to show that person is wrong. But you don't, because we are NOT wrong and the leftists on her are hostile, accusatory, and out of touch with reality. Put that in your pipe and smoke it and see if it smells as good as cannabis in the morning.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Clearly that was too much
    Which is what this ruling is about, and this thread is about


    but let's not pretend that previous presidents (including republicans) have not made extensive use of recess appointments to the NLRB (circumventing procedure)
    I'm not pretending that. But I'm also not strawmanning the issue by interjecting it into conversations regarding THIS SPECIFIC CASE when it's an entirely different circumstance. Presidents have absolutely utilized recess appointments in extensive ways and even in questionable ways before. That's not the issue here nor relevant. No one is saying that Obama is wrong for extensively using recess appointments in the ways past presidents did. They're saying the issue was him declaring the Congress in recess as a means of making recess appointments, despit congress itself claiming it wasn't in recess. To my understand that's unique to Obama. If you have evidence of other presidents doing THAT...THEN you'd have an argument. Otherwise you're just attempting to distract and deflect from what's actually being discussed by going "HEY! Look at that funny looking guy made of straw over there. I think his name is Bush. GET'EM!"

  6. #56
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,289

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
    There is NEVER a link or any data to show that what people on the right post are incorrect. Just a trolling statement that we are all nuts..
    Calm down. Eco did not call you crazy nor did I. This is not the appropriate venue for such things. You're clearly confused about this. He simply pointed out that this is nothing new. And he is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    You have no empirical evidence backing up your false assertion. You are simply conjecturing based on a whim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Or maybe "We now understand why women provoke men into hitting them".
    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    . Losing insurance does not mean losing healthcare. .

  7. #57
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm not pretending that. But I'm also not strawmanning the issue by interjecting it into conversations regarding THIS SPECIFIC CASE when it's an entirely different circumstance.
    I don't think its "entirely different".

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Eco's point was rather simple and relevant. Had you actually read his post you might have learned something.
    Actually, Eco's point was ENTIRELY irrelevant because it pointed to an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCE.

    Bush used recess appointments, that's true. If the problem in this case was about the use of recess appointments in general then his point would have been simple and relevant.

    That's not what this case is about, or that it's arguing. This case makes no assertion that recess appointments are wrong. This case is asserting that the President declaring that the congress is in recess and using that as the basis to then put forward recess appointments, despite the congress considering itself in session, is unconstitutional. If eco was showing a situation where Bush did that then his point would be "simple and relevant". As it is, it's just distractionary.

  9. #59
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Actually, Eco's point was ENTIRELY irrelevant because it pointed to an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCE.
    That's not true. Bush appointing 7/9, circumventing procedure in the process, is similar.

  10. #60
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Supreme Court rules against Obama over appointment power

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    And he is right.
    No, he's not.

    You say it's nothing new. Fine. Present to me another instance where a President made recess appointments while the congress considered itself still in session.

    Since it's "nothing new" as you claim then you should be able to provide examples.

    The issue here is NOT about the Presidents authority to make recess appointments. This case did not challenge that authority.

    It challenged the Presidents authority to make recess appointments when congress is NOT IN RECESS.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •