Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 243

Thread: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator[W:217:241]

  1. #31
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Gee, and I have the best technology money can buy.

    Stop making excuses, Pete. It doesn't reflect well and you're better than this. And I can assure you if push came to shove, Lois Lerner would sell your ass down the river to advance her own career. You're defending the indefensible, and it looks like nothing but partisanship.
    I really couldn't care less what technology YOU have. Do you think the U.S. government goes out and buys the latest and greatest? I got news for you..... They don't.


  2. #32
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I wasn't wrong the first time. You still haven't shown what evidence would support an audit. Lerner's whim and Grassley's party affiliation don't count as.evidence.
    Sure you were. You're wrong about just about everything you've claimed

    Lerner did not ask for an audit of Grassley

    Lerner did not ask for an audit

    Lerner did not desire an audit
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #33
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I really couldn't care less what technology YOU have. Do you think the U.S. government goes out and buys the latest and greatest? I got news for you..... They don't.
    Of course you don't care. It takes your attention away from bobbing your head in agreement to whatever Obama tells you.

    Go on defending everything, pete. Maybe I was wrong about you. You're not really a liberal. Liberals question government, they don't bow in subservience to government. I thought you were better than that.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I like pete a lot even though we are diametrically opposed politically, but he refuses to see any wrong when it comes to Lerner (and I suppose by extension, Obama).

    This whole IRS thing stinks to high Heaven, and the lack of any concern from some people is even worse.
    The fact that the Democrats are defending Learner to the max for targeting conservatives groups should surprise no one than having the Republicans calling foul and wanting justice done. That is what diehard partisans do. If Learner had targeted Liberal groups and the president was a Republican, it would be the opposite way around. The Democrats would be holding hearings and wanting justice while the Republicans would be defending her to the max. That is life in Washington D.C.

    Look at the debt ceiling votes during the Bush years, almost all Democrats voted no and almost all republican voted yes. One Democratic senator called raising the debt ceiling unpatriotic.

    Fast forward to the Obama administration, now is almost all Democrats voting yes to raise the debt ceiling and almost all Republicans voting no. It is now unpatriotic to vote against raising the debt ceiling.

    That my friend is the partisan politics of the times.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,640

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I didn't see any evidence that Lerner had a desire for an audit. Neither did her colleague
    "refer to exam" means "audit" in IRS lingo.

  6. #36
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I wonder how this is going to fly the next time I get audited (which happens to us a lot):

    "My computer crashed and I don't have any receipts or documentation for that time period."

    Interesting that she is policing US Senator's wives attendance at events. Who died and left her in charge of everything?

    Not a smidgeon of corruption. Nope. Not even a smidgeon.
    A few years back, I received notice from the IRS that they wanted to examine a previous years return. Big problem for me was my records were lost in a flood which made the news, and caused multi-million dollar damages to my home and others in the immediate area.

    Armed with newspaper articles, a TV interview I did, and other documentation, I explained my records were lost. So started a full scale anal probe by the IRS covering multiple years, and taking over 18 months to reach an agreement. I was required to reconstruct every penny of income and expense from every single source. An almost impossible task. In the end, after spending well over $10,000 to provide all the detail and accounting, I agreed to pay $5,000 to end it all. At that point it was a bargain.

    I have been audited every so often over the years because of charitable gifts and other things that make my return a bit larger than most. At no time have I ever been found to owe additional money. There was no question in my mind the auditor was on a crusade. I appreciate having no records was a problem. I'll never store my records on-site again. Foolish of me. However, to turn the review into an attack was outrageous.

    In light of my experience it just rips me a new one to watch what these people have done with the emails, and the smug attitude they display regarding them.

    Most individually dangerous agency in the United States.

  7. #37
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    The fact that the Democrats are defending Learner to the max for targeting conservatives groups should surprise no one than having the Republicans calling foul and wanting justice done. That is what diehard partisans do. If Learner had targeted Liberal groups and the president was a Republican, it would be the opposite way around. The Democrats would be holding hearings and wanting justice while the Republicans would be defending her to the max. That is life in Washington D.C.

    Look at the debt ceiling votes during the Bush years, almost all Democrats voted no and almost all republican voted yes. One Democratic senator called raising the debt ceiling unpatriotic.

    Fast forward to the Obama administration, now is almost all Democrats voting yes to raise the debt ceiling and almost all Republicans voting no. It is now unpatriotic to vote against raising the debt ceiling.

    That my friend is the partisan politics of the times.
    Exactly, which is why I hate - HATE - partisanship as much as I do.

    I am losing respect for people who are attempting to defend, make **** up, ignore what's there, etc. in this IRS story because of their hyper-partisanship. Some who are speaking out in concern for the very bad optics in these stories are getting tons of respect from me (Dezaad, for instance).

  8. #38
    Why so serious?

    Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,285

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Sure you were. You're wrong about just about everything you've claimed

    Lerner did not ask for an audit of Grassley

    Lerner did not ask for an audit

    Lerner did not desire an audit
    Ah, so the story that she was inquiring about auditing Grassley must have been made up. Thanks for the clarification.
    "I believe in a Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings."

    --Albert Einstein, 1929

  9. #39
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    "refer to exam" means "audit" in IRS lingo.
    Very good, Lutherf

    Now can you explain what the word "perhaps" in the sentence "Perhaps we should refer to exam?" means?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #40
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Emails: IRS official sought audit of GOP senator

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    A few years back, I received notice from the IRS that they wanted to examine a previous years return. Big problem for me was my records were lost in a flood which made the news, and caused multi-million dollar damages to my home and others in the immediate area.

    Armed with newspaper articles, a TV interview I did, and other documentation, I explained my records were lost. So started a full scale anal probe by the IRS covering multiple years, and taking over 18 months to reach an agreement. I was required to reconstruct every penny of income and expense from every single source. An almost impossible task. In the end, after spending well over $10,000 to provide all the detail and accounting, I agreed to pay $5,000 to end it all. At that point it was a bargain.

    I have been audited every so often over the years because of charitable gifts and other things that make my return a bit larger than most. At no time have I ever been found to owe additional money. There was no question in my mind the auditor was on a crusade. I appreciate having no records was a problem. I'll never store my records on-site again. Foolish of me. However, to turn the review into an attack was outrageous.

    In light of my experience it just rips me a new one to watch what these people have done with the emails, and the smug attitude they display regarding them.

    Most individually dangerous agency in the United States.
    Well said.

    We get audited because of the deductions for not one but two home offices. I have learned to keep every record of every cent that may trickle down to the return.

    I'm so sorry that happened to you (the flood). Awful!

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •