Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 506

Thread: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

  1. #81
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,894

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Until this current attempt to skirt constitutional process, marriage was written into every STATE constitution. A right the people granted themselves that is not enumerated by the US Constitution.
    Women werent allowed to vote either and all the states supported that too.

    Wasnt Constitutional...and so it was overturned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Women werent allowed to vote either and all the states supported that too.

    Wasnt Constitutional...and so it was overturned.
    It was actualy held: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_v._Happersett because it was Constitutional, and that's why the 15th amendment was written.

    The Constitution is silent on marriage and so we should make an amendment defining and supporting marriage.

    Only then will SSM be a 14th Amendment issue.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-27-14 at 02:37 AM.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,894

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It was actualy held: Minor v. Happersett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because it was Constitutional, and that's why the 15th amendment was written.

    The Constitution is silent on marriage and so we should make an amendment defining and supporting marriage.

    Only then will SSM be a 14th Amendment issue.
    I dont believe marriage is/should be a right personally and I dont like that the govt is involved in it at all.

    However since it accords benefits, priveleges, and legal protections to marriage, and the states issue a marriage license (contract) then it is gender discrimination to deny gays (it prohibits 2 people of the same gender from entering into that contract).

    But there have been several decisions where SCOTUS does claim marriage is a right. I dont pay much attention to the details of that but it is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #84
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It was actualy held: Minor v. Happersett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because it was Constitutional, and that's why the 15th amendment was written.

    The Constitution is silent on marriage and so we should make an amendment defining and supporting marriage.

    Only then will SSM be a 14th Amendment issue.
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. In other words, just because the constitution doesn't mention it, doesn't mean we don't have a right to it.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. In other words, just because the constitution doesn't mention it, doesn't mean we don't have a right to it.
    Sure, but I don't see your point. Did you think I was denying that marriage is a right?

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I dont believe marriage is/should be a right personally and I dont like that the govt is involved in it at all.

    However since it accords benefits, priveleges, and legal protections to marriage, and the states issue a marriage license (contract) then it is gender discrimination to deny gays (it prohibits 2 people of the same gender from entering into that contract).

    But there have been several decisions where SCOTUS does claim marriage is a right. I dont pay much attention to the details of that but it is true.
    I know marriage is a right. I said it wasnt in the Constitution, not that it wasn't a right. I support marriage being put into the Constitution with an Amendment just like women's right to vote had to be.

  7. #87
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Equal rights only for select groups are not equal rights.

    Anyway, pic related:

    Attachment 67168830
    agreed 100% this is why the FED is fixing what the states had no right to do
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #88
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    I LOVE when people gaining rights and freedoms upsets others that already have them. It makes me smile.
    There is no sound argument against equal rights/SSM they have all been debunked countless times. And only bigots and those that support discrimination want it not to be legal and to grant others equal rights. The game is up and NOBODY honest and educated falls for it lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #89
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No, and I dont agree with that anyway.
    Oh, so you do think it's a blanket right to overturn any perceived inequality... interesting. Well, I disagree, and SCOTUS has specific mechanics for deciding these things that also disagrees.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #90
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,824

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It was actualy held: Minor v. Happersett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia because it was Constitutional, and that's why the 15th amendment was written.

    The Constitution is silent on marriage and so we should make an amendment defining and supporting marriage.

    Only then will SSM be a 14th Amendment issue.
    Incorrect. 14th amendment requires equal protection of the laws, not just things specifically outlined in the constitution.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •