Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 506

Thread: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

  1. #451
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Now you're picking and choosing which things you morally approve should be illegal and which ones should be legal.
    It's funny that he mentions fornication as an example of unnatural and against natural law...I forget where in nature they handed out marriage licenses a thousand yrs ago? Or legitimized it in anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #452
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    We already discussed this. There is no such thing as natural law, it is just an obvious workaround for the religious to make an argument that 'nature' is guided by a higher being or force.

    It's not so your entire argument is null and void.
    There is natural law.

  3. #453
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It's funny that he mentions fornication as an example of unnatural and against natural law...I forget where in nature they handed out marriage licenses a thousand yrs ago? Or legitimized it in anyway?
    I didn't say that the act of fornication is unnatural. It is irrational because humans naturally have permanent mates.

    Marriage occurred 1000 years ago.

  4. #454
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    I didn't say that the act of fornication is unnatural. It is irrational because humans naturally have permanent mates.

    Marriage occurred 1000 years ago.
    And the first marriages were group marriages and could be dissolved at will, which contradicts your whole "humans naturally have permanent mates". For the most part, humans have not been mate for life animals, where the first person they mate with is their permanent mate from then on. In fact, most are more into serial monogamy or polygamy than absolute monogamy. Other humans who gained power attempted at various times in history to force others to live by a standard or convinced others that they should live by a standard where humans should have permanent mates, but it is not truly in our nature to do this. You cannot prove that it is. The vast majority of human history contradicts this belief that it is in our nature.

    Oh, and marriages occurred in at least some form over 10000 years ago. They have existed for quite a long time, much longer than "1000 years".
    Last edited by roguenuke; 07-04-14 at 02:01 PM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #455
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,719

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    I have never advocated a theocracy.
    Actually, you have. You want to impose your view of 'natural' law at a minimum. It's theocracy, whether your religion is libertarianism or Catholicism or whatever you call yours. I don't much care, but when you make moral judgments, then want law to reflect YOURS and ONLY YOURS, that's theocracy, if not in name then in practice.

  6. #456
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Actually, you have. You want to impose your view of 'natural' law at a minimum. It's theocracy, whether your religion is libertarianism or Catholicism or whatever you call yours. I don't much care, but when you make moral judgments, then want law to reflect YOURS and ONLY YOURS, that's theocracy, if not in name then in practice.
    The dictionary is your friend.

    I advocate a Catholic confessional state, not a theocracy.

  7. #457
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    The dictionary is your friend.

    I advocate a Catholic confessional state, not a theocracy.
    A Catholic confessional state sounds a lot like a type of theocracy to me.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  8. #458
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    There is natural law.
    Prove it.

    You are not discussing biology, you are discussing subjective issues related to natural acts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #459
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    The dictionary is your friend.

    I advocate a Catholic confessional state, not a theocracy.
    Semantics. A Catholic confessional state would still be a theocracy.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #460
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    I didn't say that the act of fornication is unnatural. It is irrational because humans naturally have permanent mates.

    Marriage occurred 1000 years ago.
    It is not irrational because humans naturally shop around before picking a permanent mate.

    And I was not being particularly accurate with 1000 yrs, I meant since humans evolved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •