Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 506

Thread: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

  1. #11
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,956

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Are there any rational people who oppose this anymore?
    I'm actually tempted to take the devil's advocate, just to see if it's even possible.

  2. #12
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I'm actually tempted to take the devil's advocate, just to see if it's even possible.
    Something something TRADITION something something INSTITUTION
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #13
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,956

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Something something TRADITION something something INSTITUTION
    ****. That was kind of my angle.

  4. #14
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Instead of explaining why same-sex marriage qua same-sex marriage is undesirable, each of the appellants’ justifications rests fundamentally on a sleight of hand in which same-sex marriage is used as a proxy for a different characteristic shared by both same-sex and some opposite-sex couples. Same-sex marriage must be banned, appellants argue, because same-sex couples are not naturally procreative. But the state permits many other types of non-procreative couples to wed. See Lawrence, 539 U.S. at 605 (Scalia, J., dissenting) (“[W]hat justification could there possibly be for denying the benefits of marriage to homosexual couples . . . ? Surely not the encouragement of procreation, since the sterile and the elderly are allowed to marry.”). Same-sex marriage cannot be allowed, appellants assert, because it is better for children to be raised by biological parents.
    Another middle finger to Scalia's ridiculous dissent.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #15
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    ****. That was kind of my angle.
    It's actually really easy to make an argument against same-sex marriage.

    All you have to do is give one specific example of how same-sex marriage impacts your life in a negative way. Bam, you've got a start right there.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #16
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    The judge in question was appointed by President Bush by recommendation from notably anti-LGBT Senator Inhoffe.

    INHOFE: I am also proud of the fact that I have known Jerome Holmes for some 5 years. Frankly, prior to this nomination, I made recommendations to the President that he consider this man because he is so incredibly qualified. We all agree he is a man of great character and undeniably fit for the bench. He has connections with both Oklahoma City and throughout Oklahoma, as well as the District of Columbia, a family history that goes back. … At a time when our Nation is faced with the onslaught of judicial activism, he is a breath of fresh air and I believe he is a man of character and principle; that he will rule justly within the parameters of the law.
    Victory for equality feels good. Victory for equality that also makes assholes look foolish is extra-good.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #17
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    The ruling was stayed, and is only applicable to Utah.
    Marriage equality is an inevitability at this point. It may take time, but it will happen. That's an awesome statement to be able to make with such certainty
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #18
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,171
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    Correct thats what the article says along with my post. Still a huge thing.
    County officials in both Boulder, Colorado and St. Louis, Missouri issued licences yesterday in order to challenge their respective state's bans.

    St. Louis Challenges Missouri Ban on Gay Marriage - ABC News
    Boulder County Clerk begins issuing same-sex marriage licenses after historic court ruling - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

  9. #19
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    I do not really see this as a victory. I think the 5th circuit appellate will likely uphold the same-sex marriage ban in Texas on state's rights grounds and SCOTUS will pick it up and side with the limited government arguments. While the arguments against same-sex marriage itself are very weak, the argument that the people of a state have a right to regulate marriage in their state as they see fit is very strong. The language "leave it to the states" has already become the new mantra of the GOP and will likely shape the debate for the next generation in a state by state battle.

  10. #20
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I do not really see this as a victory. I think the 5th circuit appellate will likely uphold the same-sex marriage ban in Texas on state's rights grounds and SCOTUS will pick it up and side with the limited government arguments. While the arguments against same-sex marriage itself are very weak, the argument that the people of a state have a right to regulate marriage in their state as they see fit is very strong. The language "leave it to the states" has already become the new mantra of the GOP and will likely shape the debate for the next generation in a state by state battle.
    You are wrong about the strength of the legal arguments. "States rights" didn't hold up interracial marriage bans, what makes you think they work for a distinction of gender?

    Here's the part that most people don't understand because SCOTUS was sneaky on it: they've already decided in favor of marriage equality in Windsor.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •