Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 506

Thread: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

  1. #171
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    A SSM ban is not unconstitutional because marriage is not a Constitutional right. It is left to the states to regulate.

    The only way for SCOTUS to have proper authority to rule on SSM is to make a marriage amendment.
    Gender discrimination is unConstitutional, so that's why it's unConstitutional. It restricts entering into (marriage) contracts based on gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Thanks for your honest answers. I think you are willing to be consistent. I do believe that by accepting alternative definitions of marriage it degrades the concept to an socially unacceptable level, whether that be ssm for some or polygamy for others. Any thing other than one man and one woman marriage opens up an anything goes mentality, otherwise any limits will be arbitrary. Given the push for a change in the social norms regarding marriage I would be for removing the sanction all together. Let partnership agreements be the rule for government and marriage reserved to the church.
    Socially acceptable for whom? Many in our society support it and the trend is more and more all the time. There is no evidence that SSM is performed any differently nor has any additional negative (or positive) consequences than traditional marriage.

    While I'd prefer that the govt was not involved in marriage at all, it is and as such, IMO and legally, it should do so without discrimination. I dont think there's any indication that the govt plans to 'get out of' marriage so I dont see it as a fight worth investing in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes. The people who banned it, and the people who took it to court instead of just removing the banners from office and replacing them with legislators who would do their job correctly.


    And amendment would acomplish that properly.

    Since I dont believe the govt should be involved in marriage at all, I dont really support an amendment. And really see no purpose in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #174
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Gender discrimination is unConstitutional, so that's why it's unConstitutional. It restricts entering into (marriage) contracts based on gender.
    A SSM ban is not gender/sex discrimination because each sex can do what the other can do. Neither sex has any special privilege the other sex lacks. The right is to marry someone of the opposit sex. It was never a right of a man to marry a woman with the right of a woman to marry a man. Its a right of everyone to marry someone of the opposit sex, of the age of magirity, who is of sound mind. Neither sex ever had any right to marry the same sex primeraly because homosexuality itself is a birth defect to begin with.

    If a SSM ban is discrimination then it's discrimination against an uncontrollable medical condition, and Public Accomidation should step in and let gays 'marry' just like a post-op transexual woman is now a 'man'. I'm a very big supporter of Pubic Accomidation and support gays marrying because it helps them cope with their condition and become more functional and productive members of society. God knows many gay couples can do better than I did at marriage.
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-02-14 at 01:39 AM.

  5. #175
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    A SSM ban is not gender/sex discrimination because each sex can do what the other can do. Neither sex has any special privilege the other sex lacks. The right is to marry someone of the opposit sex. It was never a right of a man to marry a woman with the right of a woman to marry a man. Its a right of everyone to marry someone of the opposit sex, of the age of magirity, who is of sound mind. Neither sex ever had any right to marry the same sex primeraly because homosexuality itself is a birth defect to begin with.

    If a SSM ban is discrimination then it's discrimination against an uncontrollable medical condition, and Public Accomidation should step in and let gays 'marry' just like a post-op transexual woman is now a 'man'. I'm a very big supporter of Pubic Accomidation and support gays marrying because it helps them cope with their condition and become more functional and productive members of society. God knows many gay couples can do better than I did at marriage.

    yes it is because the contract does not allow 2 people of the same gender to enter into the marriage contract. It is gender discrimination.

    I'll ignore the total ignorance part, since I'd love to see any way or *justification* for straight people to 'control their medical condition' of being attracted to the opposite gender, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #176
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    A SSM ban is not gender/sex discrimination because each sex can do what the other can do. Neither sex has any special privilege the other sex lacks. The right is to marry someone of the opposit sex. It was never a right of a man to marry a woman with the right of a woman to marry a man. Its a right of everyone to marry someone of the opposit sex, of the age of magirity, who is of sound mind. Neither sex ever had any right to marry the same sex primeraly because homosexuality itself is a birth defect to begin with.

    If a SSM ban is discrimination then it's discrimination against an uncontrollable medical condition, and Public Accomidation should step in and let gays 'marry' just like a post-op transexual woman is now a 'man'. I'm a very big supporter of Pubic Accomidation and support gays marrying because it helps them cope with their condition and become more functional and productive members of society. God knows many gay couples can do better than I did at marriage.
    banning interracial marriage is still racial discrimination even if black and white people can all marry the same race and are all bared form marriage to some one of a different race

    when a black person cant marry a white person and a different white person can that's racial discrimination

    when a man cant marry another man and a woman can that's gender based discrimination

    i

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    yes it is because the contract does not allow 2 people of the same gender to enter into the marriage contract.
    That's not gender discrimination. One gender has to enjoy some priviledge or suffer some burdon which the other gender does not, in order to be gender discrimination.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'll ignore the total ignorance part, since I'd love to see any way or *justification* for straight people to 'control their medical condition' of being attracted to the opposite gender, lol.
    Since you oppose any givernment involvement at all in the first place, I invite you to ignore the entire topic.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,838

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's not gender discrimination. One gender has to enjoy some priviledge or suffer some burdon which the other gender does not, in order to be gender discrimination.


    Since you oppose any givernment involvement at all in the first place, I invite you to ignore the entire topic.
    Thanks but I am much more strongly against discrimination in general so I do support this fight. ("First they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I was silent....")

    And sorry but you'll have to support your first claim...who says one gender has to enjoy the privilege, etc????

    One gender is naturally excluded from those contracts....discrimination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    banning interracial marriage is still racial discrimination even if black and white people can all marry the same race and are all bared form marriage to some one of a different race
    That case was discrimination because some races enjoyed a privilege which others did not; some races suffered a burdon which other races did not. The rule did not apply to all. A black couldn't marry a white, but an asian could marry a white. A white couldnt marry a black, but a white could marry a pacific islander. Thats unballanced.

    A SSM ban applies to all sexes wheras the interacial-marriage ban did not apply to races.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    One gender is naturally excluded from those contracts....discrimination.
    Neither gender is excluded form entering a marriage, thus its not gender discrimination.

Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •