Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 506

Thread: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes, there is. If your grammar is any indication of your reading skill, I would suggest a night class for basic English, and then trying again.
    that argument had nothing to do with divorce

  2. #122
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Ok, so I said a gay couple who divorces is throwing away all the arguments in support of SSM. And now you want an example of one such argument being thrown away by said gay couple in their divorce. You want to be shown just any pro-ssm argument at random. Here's a pro-SSM argument I gave 10 posts ago on this same thread:

    Same-sex couples are throwing away my argument when they divorce.
    Divorce is not objectively harmful. It does not hurt everyone to divorce. Some divorces can be better for society overall, as well as the couple, vice the couple simply staying married. Many divorces are simply net neutral on their effect on society. It would be impossible to prove that most individual divorces actually caused negative repercussions within our society in themselves, since we can't know what would have happened had the couple remained married.

    Nor does it actually hurt the fight for same sex marriage for same sex couples who have been married to divorce. That is ridiculous. Part of the right to marry is the increased protections and fairness in disposition of assets in divorce vice simply separating as an unmarried couple. While some judges may grant some consideration to couples for their established relationship when it comes to a separation of a couple who have been together, it is only when they are married that this consideration of their relationship is taken into account by law.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    that argument had nothing to do with divorce
    I know. I never said it did have to do with divorce. Again, check into those English classes.

    I said that argument was in support of SSM, and it was, and thus it's an argument which gays who divorce toss out.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Divorce is not objectively harmful. It does not hurt everyone to divorce. Some divorces can be better for society overall, as well as the couple, vice the couple simply staying married. Many divorces are simply net neutral on their effect on society. It would be impossible to prove that most individual divorces actually caused negative repercussions within our society in themselves, since we can't know what would have happened had the couple remained married.

    Nor does it actually hurt the fight for same sex marriage for same sex couples who have been married to divorce. That is ridiculous. Part of the right to marry is the increased protections and fairness in disposition of assets in divorce vice simply separating as an unmarried couple. While some judges may grant some consideration to couples for their established relationship when it comes to a separation of a couple who have been together, it is only when they are married that this consideration of their relationship is taken into account by law.
    so jerry thinks divorce is harmful and that harmful marriages should not be aloud an that divorce is a part of the rights associated with marriage

    therefore he opposes all marriage?

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I know. I never said it did have to do with divorce. Again, check into those English classes.

    I said that argument was in support of SSM, and it was, and thus it's an argument which gays who divorce toss out.
    er how is it tossed out by a divorce? that's what you cant show

    that argument s in no way undone or made less true by divorce

    there is no contradiction in agreeing to that argument and getting a divorce

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Divorce is not objectively harmful.
    Then SSM is not objectively beneficial, and so there's no reason to support SSM.

    Yet SSM is objectively beneficial, and that's why gays are pursuing SSM in the first place. SSM provides more stable homes for children (many gay couples already have children, believe it or not), and marriage itself, the simple act of being committed, supports stable relationships, which in turn is good for everyone.

    Therefore divorce is objectively harmful and should be avoided.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    er how is it tossed out by a divorce?
    It is disregarded, set aside.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    so jerry thinks divorce is harmful and that harmful marriages should not be aloud an that divorce is a part of the rights associated with marriage

    therefore he opposes all marriage?
    50-60% of them, yes.

  9. #129
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Then SSM is not objectively beneficial, and so there's no reason to support SSM.

    Yet SSM is objectively beneficial, and that's why gays are pursuing SSM in the first place. SSM provides more stable homes for children (many gay couples already have children, believe it or not), and marriage itself, the simple act of being committed, supports stable relationships, which in turn is good for everyone.

    Therefore divorce is objectively harmful and should be avoided.
    You're wrong. One of the benefits of marriage is divorce, which legally recognizes the individual roles spouses play within individual marriages. It allows for a more fair division of assets when one or both parties in a relationship no longer want to be together. This increased protection helps to keep some people off of public support that would likely be there if not for their ability to legally divorce.

    The problem is that you are viewing divorce from only a certain view. If everyone only got married, never lived together in intimate relationships outside of marriage, then there would be only divorce as an option for legally dissolving a relationship, since only marriage would be considered a lawful relationship. All other intimate relationships between people would be done outside the law, so not legally recognized in any manner. However, here in the real world, there are many other relationships out there that do lawfully exist. These relationships however are not recognized as legally the same as marriages, so they do not come with the same legal protections for dissolution of these relationships.

    One of the recognized benefits of marriage is in fact divorce, or at least the results of divorce.

    "Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
    Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce."

    Marriage Rights and Benefits | Nolo.com
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #130
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It is disregarded, set aside.
    um how?

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •