Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 506

Thread: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

  1. #111
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,971

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes, Loving is part of that erosion process. That's a good point.
    I say that the people have decided that you are wrong. If they, the people of the US as a whole, have a problem with the way that the SCOTUS is ruling on an issue, particularly one that deals with individual rights vs states' rights, then the people are free to either a) change the Constitution or b) start another revolution, if they have the actual support for either.

    In reality, state's rights were eroded with the Civil War. And most American's don't really mind this.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #112
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,844

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The 9th realy has nothing to do with the topic since no one is trying to use one right to trample on another. The 14th doesn't apply because the 14th was made to give recently freed slaves equal standing. Nothing more. Even to those who think the 14th applies, each sex has the same allowances and restrictions as the other, so there's no violation. The Loving decision even supported that standaed. Add to that SCOTUS has no authority to rule on marriage at all since marriage is a right wich falls to the states to regulate.
    The 14th amendment was not solely limited to recently freed slaves, no. That's just your interpretation. Equal protection of the laws. All of the laws. And all people.
    Loving did not support that standard. Loving explicitly rejected the logic: "everyone has equal right to marry someone of the same race!" Same logic, now gender is swapped for race. Equal protection applies to gender too.

    No, I think they're usefull idiots.


    When don in this way, yes.
    Well, your authoritarianism is losing.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I say that the people have decided that you are wrong. If they, the people of the US as a whole, have a problem with the way that the SCOTUS is ruling on an issue, particularly one that deals with individual rights vs states' rights, then the people are free to either a) change the Constitution or b) start another revolution, if they have the actual support for either.

    In reality, state's rights were eroded with the Civil War. And most American's don't really mind this.
    I don't think the people are free to do that, because their hand-outs will be threatened if they do.

    America is more and more returning to slavery.

  4. #114
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,971

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I don't think the people are free to do that, because their hand-outs will be threatened if they do.

    America is more and more returning to slavery.
    Why would their "handouts" be threatened by working to Amend the Constitution? That doesn't involve any connection to "handouts".

    Plus, if something is important enough to the people, then there is nothing that they wouldn't be willing to do.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why would their "handouts" be threatened by working to Amend the Constitution?
    For the same reason the President closes parks and tourist attractions when there's a government shutdown, eventhough said parks and attractions are not the main expense causing the shutdown, but bloated pork projects (those projects are kept running during a shut-down, too). That reason being: to change the people's minds.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That doesn't involve any connection to "handouts".
    Right. No one said they were connected. I said the handouts would be stopped, not that the handouts were connected. You need to read what is written, not what you imagine is written.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Plus, if something is important enough to the people, then there is nothing that they wouldn't be willing to do.
    I agree. Handouts are the most important thing to the American people, and there is nothing the people won't sacrifice to protect those handouts. We have and will again tolerate highly illegal actions by Congress, such as the Patriot Act. We have and will again tolerate acts of treason by the President of the United States, such as Benghazi. We have and will again tolerate the overreaching of power and violation of the separation of powers by SCOTUS, such as Loving, Roe, Heller, and the future SSM ruling. We pay more taxes today than we originally revolted against the Crown over, we send our children to unjust foreign wars, because we will do whatever it takes to protect our entitlements.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-30-14 at 11:48 AM.

  6. #116
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,971

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    For the same reason the President closes parks and tourist attractions when there's a government shutdown, eventhough said parks and attractions are not the main expense causing the shutdown, but bloated pork projects (those projects are kept running during a shut-down, too). That reason being: to change the people's minds.

    Right. No one said they were connected. I said the handouts would be stopped, not that the handouts were connected. You need to read what is written, not what you imagine is written.

    I agree. Handouts are the most important thing to the American people, and there is nothing the people won't sacrifice to protect those handouts.
    Honestly I think you are just complaining here. There is no logical reason to make all these assumptions that you are.

    Plus, you haven't shown that this is actually true, that the politicians would stop "handouts" to people who pushed for Amendments to the Constitution for things that they want when there is enough people showing they want those Amendments. We certainly didn't see this threat back just in 2004 or 2006 when there were proposed Amendments involving defining marriage within the Constitution then. There simply wasn't enough support either time.

    Not to mention the fact, that those who are in general the ones complaining about handouts, are also the ones complaining about the erosion of states' rights. So why would they care if the handouts were taken away?
    Last edited by roguenuke; 06-30-14 at 11:59 AM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Honestly I think you are just complaining here. There is no logical reason to make all these assumptions that you are.

    Plus, you haven't shown that this is actually true, that the politicians would stop "handouts" to people who pushed for Amendments to the Constitution for things that they want when there is enough people showing they want those Amendments. We certainly didn't see this threat back just in 2004 or 2006 when there were proposed Amendments involving defining marriage within the Constitution then. There simply wasn't enough support either time.

    Not to mention the fact, that those who are in general the ones complaining about handouts, are also the ones complaining about the erosion of states' rights. So why would the care if the handouts were taken away?
    Still editing....

    And while I'm editing my post, why don't you edit this sentence: "So why would the care if the handouts were taken away?"

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    bull **** show me one from this site I dare you
    Ok, so I said a gay couple who divorces is throwing away all the arguments in support of SSM. And now you want an example of one such argument being thrown away by said gay couple in their divorce. You want to be shown just any pro-ssm argument at random. Here's a pro-SSM argument I gave 10 posts ago on this same thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    On what basis should a marriage not be sanctioned?
    When the relationship is otherwise harmful, such as incest. Same-sex relationships are not otherwise harmful and thus should be afforded access to marriage.
    Same-sex couples are throwing away my argument when they divorce.

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,108

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Ok, so I said a gay couple who divorces is throwing away all the arguments in support of SSM. And now you want an example of one such argument being thrown away by said gay couple in their divorce. You want to be shown just any pro-ssm argument at random. Here's a pro-SSM argument I gave 10 posts ago on this same thread:

    Same-sex couples are throwing away my argument when they divorce.
    theirs no argument posted their for same sex marriage that that's thrown away by divorce try again

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Gay marriage wins in Indiana and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    theirs no argument posted their for same sex marriage that that's thrown away by divorce
    Yes, there is. If your grammar is any indication of your reading skill, I would suggest a night class for basic English, and then trying again.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •