Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 202

Thread: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

  1. #91
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    About damn time I say. Republicans have been complaining about this for some time. Ultimately, put up or shut up. If you honestly believe that the Obama Administration has been taking significant steps that are exceed the powers of the Executive then it's the duty of those in congress to attempt to provide that check and balance. If members of Congress...and note that some Democrats have even voiced concern on this issue...believe that the Executive Branch is oversteping its bounds then it's incumbant on them to take action to combat that. Whether that's impeachment to remove the POTUS or bringing suit in an effort to invalidated the actions taken, SOME sort of check needs to be done if that's what they honestly believe is occuring.

    What will come of such a suit is an entirely different question, but based on what's been said for years this is the proper act on the part of congress. And I prefer them bringing suit over attempting impeachment at this time.

  2. #92
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    Great.

    "People" usually means more then one...or other than you.
    Well, usually, when you quote a post of another member, it's customary to actually be responding to something they said and not implying something they didn't say and leaving a totally false impression.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #93
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,165

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Since this tired over simplification always gets brought up it's nice to just be able to relink to things I've said before rather than waste my time retyping responses to standard dishonest talking points (edited down to remove the direct claims to the original poster it was responding to):
    and your argument would be a sound one if the republicans behind the threat of court action identified that XO, or particular array of XOs, which should be found exceeding the scope of presidential authority
    in the absence of that specificity, it is reasonable to conclude boehner's gesture is directed at the magnitude of instances when Obama's XOs have been executed
    i look forward to seeing from the GOP (or libertarian) side exactly what about Obama's XOs should be found by the court to be extra-Constitutional
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #94
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    About damn time I say. Republicans have been complaining about this for some time. Ultimately, put up or shut up. If you honestly believe that the Obama Administration has been taking significant steps that are exceed the powers of the Executive then it's the duty of those in congress to attempt to provide that check and balance. If members of Congress...and note that some Democrats have even voiced concern on this issue...believe that the Executive Branch is oversteping its bounds then it's incumbant on them to take action to combat that. Whether that's impeachment to remove the POTUS or bringing suit in an effort to invalidated the actions taken, SOME sort of check needs to be done if that's what they honestly believe is occuring.

    What will come of such a suit is an entirely different question, but based on what's been said for years this is the proper act on the part of congress. And I prefer them bringing suit over attempting impeachment at this time.
    There's absolutely no chance of this being an election year stunt. Nope, none whatsoever.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #95
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Well, usually, when you quote a post of another member, it's customary to actually be responding to something they said and not implying something they didn't say and leaving a totally false impression.
    Not around here it's not. People tell me what I really mean all the time. Ask Zyphlin.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #96
    Chews the Cud
    Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Benghazi
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power


  7. #97
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
    It is good to see Fox finally admitting that the Bush years weren't squeaky clean either. Cavuto's point is the same as mine - it's an election year stunt.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #98
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    It's back to ACA with the GOP, as Boehner darts back-and-forth from "select" to IRS to ACA trying to create a mindset of "scandal" for the election.
    Announcing the suit the day after the GOP Elite's win in Mississippi is just a coincidence.

    And with the SCOTUS just ruling against Obama this AM with Senate recess appointees with more rulings to come,
    Boehner finally realized this is his Court and it will do his bidding.

    It's all abouit Obama's XO's on ACA from what I hear GOPs say .
    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    and your argument would be a sound one if the republicans behind the threat of court action identified that XO, or particular array of XOs, which should be found exceeding the scope of presidential authority
    in the absence of that specificity, it is reasonable to conclude boehner's gesture is directed at the magnitude of instances when Obama's XOs have been executed
    i look forward to seeing from the GOP (or libertarian) side exactly what about Obama's XOs should be found by the court to be extra-Constitutional
    This is also a thin-veiled shot ascross the bow at any future XO's, preemptive if you will.
    With Boehner saying it isn't about impeachment, while his members acknowledge they have the 218 votes .
    Physics is Phun

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    First of all, this is all just a PR stunt by Bonehead to rally up the base for mid-term elections. He hasn't actually done ANYTHING really to stop Obama in the past when he could have.

    Basically this will continue until a new president is voted in and if it is a GOP president, watch all this anger over XOs just dissapear from the GOP because they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot with their old used power. However, if it is a Dem president, they will continue the lawsuit to try and prevent a Dem president from using XOs.

    Bottomline is this, whether the right likes it or not Obama is using a power they all enjoyed as well. This is why I have been against XOs, because eventually you will get a president that will abuse it. It gets worse with each presidency on the scope of XOs.

  10. #100
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Boehner plans to file suit against Obama over alleged abuse of executive power

    Boehner is suing, but he doesn't know what he's suing over yet.
    This is what the last three plus years can be summed up as .
    Physics is Phun

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •