Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 805

Thread: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487:681]

  1. #591
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Didn't forget it at all, never have and never will support rebate checks.
    So you were just pretending that the free money in the mail program of 2008 didn't happen. Selective memory is a common trait among ideologues.

    Bush was leaving office and Bush did the right thing in leaving half of the TARP money for Obama not knowing that Obama would recycle the money and get his zealots to blame Bush for the deficit. The recession ended in June 2009, what do you think caused that?
    I thought that it ended in March or April of 2009, but regardless of that, I think it had just pretty much burned itself out. The spendulous bill probably did contribute slightly, but mostly likely for psychological reasons more than anything else (I am under the impression that the recession ended about the same time that the first spendulous checks were being distributed).

    Regardless, no president was going to stand by and let our economy go down the toilet while doing nothing. I don't care who was elected, that person would have pushed for some sort of stimulous program.

    I would have preferred massive tax cuts for the worker/consumer class, and a significant reduction in corporate income tax rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  2. #592
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Let me give you an example of what good leadership and economic policies will do. Arguably the 81-82 recession with a 20 misery index was worse than than the 07-09 recession and yet Reagan was able to turn it around with a positive economic policy that put more money into the hands of the American people and that is what led to the economic activity increase generating almost 17 million jobs. Compare that to what we have today

    Highlighted are the employment numbers when the recession began, when it ended, and the end of the first term of Reagan along with the employment at the end of his Presidency. Very easy to understand what happened 5 5 years after the end of the 81-82 recession compared to what Reagan inherited, 100.7 million working Americans July 1981, 114 million working Americans 5 years later.

    Compare that to the 146.3 million working Americans in December 2007 when the recession began to the 145.8 million working Americans today.

    Leadership works, understanding of the private sector economy is better and we have neither today.
    So please, tell me what Reagan did and I'll let Obama know he should do it. Should Reagan raise taxes like he did in 1982? The national debt tripled during Reagan's presidency, so that's not something the Democrats need to learn how to do. Maybe it was the deregulation of industry that Carter started? I'm guessing that you're thinking about the magic wand our great leader waved which made everything all better.
    A working class hero is something to be

  3. #593
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,284

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    So please, tell me what Reagan did and I'll let Obama know he should do it. Should Reagan raise taxes like he did in 1982? The national debt tripled during Reagan's presidency, so that's not something the Democrats need to learn how to do. Maybe it was the deregulation of industry that Carter started? I'm guessing that you're thinking about the magic wand our great leader waved which made everything all better.

    Well, Obama could learn something from Clinton, and lower Capital Gains taxes.

    But Obama increased them along with taxes on dividends.

    He could have NOT passed a law that mandated unquantifiable cost increases on Business and consumers years before its implementation.

    What a fantastic way to kill a economy.

    He could STOP with the AGW scam and stop targeting Coal.

    He could obey the damn law and control our borders too.

  4. #594
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    So please, tell me what Reagan did and I'll let Obama know he should do it. Should Reagan raise taxes like he did in 1982? The national debt tripled during Reagan's presidency, so that's not something the Democrats need to learn how to do. Maybe it was the deregulation of industry that Carter started? I'm guessing that you're thinking about the magic wand our great leader waved which made everything all better.
    From what I understand, he spent our country into prosperity.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  5. #595
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,284

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487]

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    From what I understand, he spent our country into prosperity.

    As opposed to whats happening now ?

  6. #596
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    As opposed to whats happening now ?
    Very different from what is happening now.

    When the POTUS is a republican, republicans (not that I am equating republicans with extremist conservatives like yourself) tend not to make a big deal about deficit spending, and dems are of course happy to help republicans spend. When we have a dem as POTUS, suddenly republicans become against government spending, and they work against dems to constrain spending.

    It's a historic fact that when we have a republican POTUS, deficit spending increases faster than under democrat presidents.

    From my point of view as an independent moderate, that's about the only reason why I prefer a dem as president and republicans controlling congress. This combination seems to be most effective in limiting government.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  7. #597
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,284

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487]

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    Very different from what is happening now.

    When the POTUS is a republican, republicans (not that I am equating republicans with extremist conservatives like yourself) tend not to make a big deal about deficit spending, and dems are of course happy to help republicans spend. When we have a dem as POTUS, suddenly republicans become against government spending, and they work against dems to constrain spending.

    It's a historic fact that when we have a republican POTUS, deficit spending increases faster than under democrat presidents.

    From my point of view as an independent moderate, that's about the only reason why I prefer a dem as president and republicans controlling congress. This combination seems to be most effective in limiting government.
    Deficit spending under Obama is LOWER than it was under Bush ?


    Honestly, how you can say that with a straight face is beyond me ?

    Especially after the last 6 years.

  8. #598
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Deficit spending under Obama is LOWER than it was under Bush ?


    Honestly, how you can say that with a straight face is beyond me ?

    Especially after the last 6 years.
    It depends on how you look at it, and what metrics you chose to ignore and which ones you chose to use as examples and how you adjust those figures (inflation, population growth, percent of GDP, etc). One can make an argument either way.

    Growth of discretionary spending has been lower under Obama than any other recent president. If you want to lower non-discretionary spending, you need to look to congress to cut social security and medicare.

    Regardless, under Obama, our deficit has so far increased by a much smaller percent than under Reagan.







    Last edited by imagep; 07-02-14 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  9. #599
    Villiage Idiot
    imagep's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,584

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487]






    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    ...I'm not interested in debating someone who is trolling for an argument....
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I see a big problem with the idea that whatever the majority wants is OK.

  10. #600
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,284

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487]

    Quote Originally Posted by imagep View Post
    It depends on how you look at it, and what metrics you chose to ignore and which ones you chose to use as examples and how you adjust those figures (inflation, population growth, percent of GDP, etc). One can make an argument either way.

    Growth of discretionary spending has been lower under Obama than any other recent president. If you want to lower non-discretionary spending, you need to look to congress to cut social security and medicare.

    Regardless, under Obama, our deficit has so far increased by a much smaller percent than under Reagan.


    Lets look at it HONESTLY.

    Obama signed 9 out of the 12 Spending appropriations bills from Pelosi's FY2009 Budget.

    He then passed " Stimulus " ( a pay off to the Unions ) and then ran 3 Consecutive TRILLION dollar plus annual deficits.

    So he lowered deficit spending from 1.3 Trillion down to 600 Billion for the years following ?

    Big damn deal , it still equates to 6 trillion added to our debt in 5 years.

    What are you trying to prove ?

Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •