Page 50 of 81 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 805

Thread: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487:681]

  1. #491
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    No, according to another Forbes article, you are wrong.

    '3) Over 50% of the working population (120 million individuals) works in a small business

    4) Small businesses have generated over 65% of the net new jobs since 199
    5'

    16 Surprising Statistics About Small Businesses - Forbes
    I think you completely missed the entire point of the article I posted, considering that this is in no way a valid response to the point made...

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Your opinion noted but obviously you have never started a business. Further your definition of big business? That isn't the engine that drives the economy, the small town businesses do that and those are the ones liberals are killing. You think big business pays minimum wage? If so you really are very naive.
    We own eight companies. I go to all company board meetings on a quarterly basis and work closely with management on business matters. Our businesses are considered small businesses. Guess who our biggest customers are?
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  2. #492
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Space Exploration
    Post Office (yes it does get subsidies)
    Amtrak
    Education Dept
    Corporate Welfare in many different forms
    Income Support payments to anyone above poverty levels
    Corporation for Public Broadcasting

    Want more?
    I'd say that we need an education department, but one that is better at it's job. If nothing else, to ensure state education departments meet some minimum standards. Sorry, pet peeve.
    And personally, I consider space exploration an absolute need. Survival of the species and all that.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #493
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Space Exploration
    Post Office (yes it does get subsidies)
    Amtrak
    Education Dept
    Corporate Welfare in many different forms
    Income Support payments to anyone above poverty levels
    Corporation for Public Broadcasting

    Want more?
    1) Disagree. Space is our future.
    2) Depends on what the alternative is to getting mail.
    3) Eh, I foresee more disasters.
    4) Education always gets targeted. I think instead of cutting it, it needs to be restructured.
    5) I agree, but there would be consequences for consumers in the same vein as carbon taxes: companies would shift the financial burden to hiking up costs for their services & products which the consumer takes on the chin.
    6) The government set poverty level is like Swiss cheese, man.
    7) Like PBS?
    8) Sure, if you want to.

  4. #494
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,254

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    And what is included in that "we don't absolutely need" category?
    We don't need a massive central govt. trying to implement a one size fits all minimum wage and welfare programs in 50 independent sovereign states with different costs of living. Wonder why this is so hard for you to understand?

  5. #495
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,254

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    I think you completely missed the entire point of the article I posted, considering that this is in no way a valid response to the point made...



    We own eight companies. I go to all company board meetings on a quarterly basis and work closely with management on business matters. Our businesses are considered small businesses. Guess who our biggest customers are?
    Then you ought to understand that it is the small businesses in this country that drive the economy and Obamanomics hurts those people the most

  6. #496
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    We don't need a massive central govt. trying to implement a one size fits all minimum wage and welfare programs in 50 independent sovereign states with different costs of living. Wonder why this is so hard for you to understand?
    Perhaps because I disagree? It's not the 1770's if you haven't noticed, and the burden some wish to exclusively retain to states is not feasible, practical or conducive to proper governing.

  7. #497
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,881

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Then you ought to understand that it is the small businesses in this country that drive the economy and Obamanomics hurts those people the most

    So then I'm guessing you can't guess who our biggest customers are. I thought I was making it obvious for you...
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #498
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,254

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Perhaps because I disagree? It's not the 1770's if you haven't noticed, and the burden some wish to exclusively retain to states is not feasible, practical or conducive to proper governing.
    You seem to be the one living in the 1770's when we had 13 colonies, not 50 states with different taxes, different cost of living, and different problems. You want a bureaucrat in D.C. to solve your local problems for you when all that bureaucrat has done is create a 17.5 trillion dollar debt and more dependence on the govt. Doesn't make a lot of sense to thinking people.

  9. #499
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You seem to be the one living in the 1770's when we had 13 colonies, not 50 states with different taxes, different cost of living, and different problems. You want a bureaucrat in D.C. to solve your local problems for you when all that bureaucrat has done is create a 17.5 trillion dollar debt and more dependence on the govt. Doesn't make a lot of sense to thinking people.
    Yeah, let's see how much sense it makes when that assistance gets cut cold turkey (like some want) and there is ****ing anarchy in the streets because TENS OF MILLIONS of people are now starving, homeless & very, very upset about the government turning its back on them. Didn't think of that, did you? And it's not even an unforeseen consequence, it is the direct result of cutting it off cold turkey.

    See, that's the problem with conservatives like you. You're incapable of thinking beyond the Fox News talking points to realize that you can't cut off assistance to 10,000,000+ people BEFORE the infrastructure for fillable jobs is put into place. If there were enough jobs to go around for everyone, there wouldn't be so many people on the government's dole. And that's the problem. All conservatives want to do is cut out government assistance and do nothing about the piss poor job field in this country.

    Now, I realize I probably offended you with the above, but please, don't hand-wave it away with complaining about what I said - instead, actually address it.

  10. #500
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,013

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    1) Disagree. Space is our future.
    2) Depends on what the alternative is to getting mail.
    3) Eh, I foresee more disasters.
    4) Education always gets targeted. I think instead of cutting it, it needs to be restructured.
    5) I agree, but there would be consequences for consumers in the same vein as carbon taxes: companies would shift the financial burden to hiking up costs for their services & products which the consumer takes on the chin.
    6) The government set poverty level is like Swiss cheese, man.
    7) Like PBS?
    8) Sure, if you want to.
    Well there you go. THATS why we cant balance the budget. Which means I guess YOU need to pay more taxes to pay for anything and everything you want the govt to do.
    Last edited by jonny5; 06-30-14 at 08:49 AM.

Page 50 of 81 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •