Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 805

Thread: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q[W:487:681]

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Just some friendly advice, you probably mean you could not care less.
    Actually, I meant the way I typed it...but I understand your point.

    I think the trend is a positive one and I think when nearly 3 quarter of a million jobs are created in three months, it's a good thing.
    Fair enough.

    I don't agree, but you are entitled to your opinion.


    Btw, I appreciate you answering my questions, using statistics and not getting snarky. Better then many around here.

    Later.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,521

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Oh? Who 16 quarters of growth, and 2 negative quarters, since the end of the recession?

    Or are you really just seizing on any economic bad news, and using that to claim the entire economy went down the tubes 3 months ago?
    Gee, only 2 negative quarters. Fantastic! Are you really trying to claim that Obama's economy (among other things) hasn't been a disaster? Oh, please.
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  3. #43
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Amazing, isn't it, the first rough winter in history? You people are absolutely amazing. Isn't it interesting that all those discouraged workers over the years apparently faced those miserable winters prior to 2014? Obviously wealth redistribution, threats of higher taxes, attacks on the coal industry, increased regulations, Obamacare had nothing to do with it. You people do live in a dream world.
    Where do you live? I'm from Minnesota, where we had the worst winter ever. Most snow and most freezing days in my lifetime, and there was only one other winter in the last 4 decades that compared - it was in the early '80s. So do I believe that the winter had an effect on the economy? Of course I do - I saw it for myself. Everybody in this state just stayed at home, that will obviously have a detrimental effect on the economy. And I know that what happened here happened in other states as well.

    You are basing your conclusions despite the facts, not on the facts. "Wealth redistribution?" Seriously? What are you even talking about?
    A working class hero is something to be

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Last Seen
    08-05-15 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    460

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q | Fox Business

    Congratulations, Liberals, you are getting what you want, A European Socialist economy dependent on a Federal Govt. run by liberals and with more people dependent on that govt. for existence. This is exactly what you get when you elect and re-elect a totally unqualified individual to the highest office in the land, High unemployment, high debt, low economic growth are the new normal in this country
    Gee i guess you forgot that the house is dominated by Republicons, who shut down the Government last year creating 17 billion of new debt, not to mention trying to repeal the Aca for 50+ times, real productive huh???, guess that's why their approval ratings are 13%, and Obama is in the 40's%
    Dependent on GOVERNMENT, LOL, guess that's what you would call the Republicons who are "dependent on Gov, to start all of their failed wars, that drag on forever, wanna talk about corporate welfare????, naaahhh keep on smoking on that Republicon pole..

  5. #45
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    I don't think so. As far as I can see, we are still in the great recession. We've had a lousy economy since late 2007.
    Mild recessions have always been a fact of a free market economy--something like a spike in oil prices due to a major storm or even a minor skirmish in the Middle East can create a brief economic downturn, and we were having a very minor economic downturn at the end of 2007. However the economy was growing strongly the first half of 2008. The first round of defaults were beginning to show up though and this created the beginning of another economic downturn in late July and August that behaved as just another cyclical mild recession until the bubble burst. There are few sinking feelings as grim as watching your retirement nest egg dissolve in hours as the stock market plunged 1000 points. It largely recovered with the announcement of TARP and, had the Obama administration had a fraction of the Bush administration savvy on how to manage an economy, we would have slowly and surely climbed out of the recession and would have been back to normal by the end of Obama's first term.

    But Obama's cluelessness, the business unfriendly environment he created, the attempt to spend us back into prosperity, and the unconscionable uncertainties he forced into the economy via Obamacare, tax and threaten the rich, regulate normal energy processes out of business, etc. etc. etc. has prolonged and continued to deepen what should have been a deep but normal recession. And Harry Reid, Obama's chief lapdog, hasn't helped by refusing to work with the House in provisions that could have helped. The House has passed some 20 or so jobs bills now that were never allowed out of committee for debate and a vote in the Senate.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  6. #46
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,486
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    As many of us not left of center have been saying, Obamacare is killing jobs and job growth. If it is not repealed, our country's better days will be behind us and not in our future. We are now in an out-of-control downward spiral economically. It will be entertaining at least to see the administration, the pundits and the apologists try to spin their way out of this one.

    Obama is an abysmal failure and his policies are now coming to fruition. Can't blame this on Bush can they.
    Alas, not only can they blame this on Bush still, but they DO blame this on Bush. Obama has never ever accepted any responsibility for the crappy economy and to this day alludes to it as something he inherited. We have been hearing pretty much this same speech now for six years:

    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...DB020CB5B541F5
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Last Seen
    08-05-15 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    460

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by RedAkston View Post
    As many of us not left of center have been saying, Obamacare is killing jobs and job growth. If it is not repealed, our country's better days will be behind us and not in our future. We are now in an out-of-control downward spiral economically. It will be entertaining at least to see the administration, the pundits and the apologists try to spin their way out of this one.

    Obama is an abysmal failure and his policies are now coming to fruition. Can't blame this on Bush can they.
    Why are you garbage RebubliKKKons so obsessed with Obama, he's only 1 man, LOL, newsflash genius, Obama's approval ratings are around 44%-46%, the toxic GOP congress is at 13%!!

    Obama's been a success, due to fact he's kept your redneck POS party out of power for the last 8 years, and he's PAYBACK FOR that ugly looking drunk inbred Bush....

    There's a reason the Dems, own 2/3 of Government because most Americans, at least the yanks up north hate your toxic , redneck cesspool party...

    Can't wait until 2016, when Hillary beats your sorry ass party down, LOL....

  8. #48
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Mild recessions have always been a fact of a free market economy--something like a spike in oil prices due to a major storm or even a minor skirmish in the Middle East can create a brief economic downturn, and we were having a very minor economic downturn at the end of 2007. However the economy was growing strongly the first half of 2008. The first round of defaults were beginning to show up though and this created the beginning of another economic downturn in late July and August that behaved as just another cyclical mild recession until the bubble burst. There are few sinking feelings as grim as watching your retirement nest egg dissolve in hours as the stock market plunged 1000 points. It largely recovered with the announcement of TARP and, had the Obama administration had a fraction of the Bush administration savvy on how to manage an economy, we would have slowly and surely climbed out of the recession and would have been back to normal by the end of Obama's first term.

    But Obama's cluelessness, the business unfriendly environment he created, the attempt to spend us back into prosperity, and the unconscionable uncertainties he forced into the economy via Obamacare, tax and threaten the rich, regulate normal energy processes out of business, etc. etc. etc. has prolonged and continued to deepen what should have been a deep but normal recession. And Harry Reid, Obama's chief lapdog, hasn't helped by refusing to work with the House in provisions that could have helped. The House has passed some 20 or so jobs bills now that were never allowed out of committee for debate and a vote in the Senate.
    You've got to be kidding, Bush's ability manage an economy? It's been a long time since I have something so outrageous. Do you know what the economy looked like when Obama became president, the economy lost 800,000 jobs that month of January, 2009. The economy was headed straight for the toilet. As for TARP, the credit market was frozen, it was nearly impossible to get a loan.


  9. #49
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,973

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Gee, only 2 negative quarters. Fantastic! Are you really trying to claim that Obama's economy (among other things) hasn't been a disaster?
    Perfect? Certainly not. But is it a disaster? No. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

    A true disaster would have resulted if Bush 43 hadn't followed Paulson's and Bernanke's recommendations, and just let the economy implode in late 2007. A true disaster would have resulted if Obama hadn't used TARP funds to keep the auto makers afloat. A true disaster would look like the Great Depression, with 30% U3 unemployment and deflationary spirals.

    Meanwhile, many of the things right-wing partisans complain about have been going on for decades. For example, wages have been flat since the 1970s, even as productivity has gone through the roof. Is that any single President's fault? Nope.

    How about people exiting the labor force? Well, it turns out that's actually a long-term trend, dating back decades. Men have been gradually exiting the workforce since the 1960s; and labor force participation has mainly been growing because women were entering the workforce. On the whole, participation started dropping in 2001 -- long before Obama took office. No single President could possibly be responsible for these trends.




    How about health insurance premiums? That's another long-term trend. Or perhaps you can explain how Obama was responsible for health insurance premiums outpace inflation in the decade before he took office?


  10. #50
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: U.S. Economy Shrinks By Most Since Great Recession in 1Q

    Visbek;1063448038]Before I answer that: Are you saying that in your opinion, the $842 billion stimulus -- 1/3 of which was tax breaks -- did, in fact, boost GDP for 4 years?
    The claims of tax cuts is bogus because they were conditional unless the 500 dollar rebate is considered a tax cut. The stimulus money was dumped into the economy to create shovel ready jobs and the shovels never arrived in most cases. You don't seem to understand the components of GDP or you would understand that the money definitely would create a short term increase in GDP which is what it did. After a worse recession than this one, Reagan had over 7% GDP growth and created millions of jobs. we are still below the employment at the start of the recession now and Obama's attempt to redistribute wealth is causing employers not to hire nor will they until Obama is fired.



    I believe the ACA in the short term hasn't had a big effect on the private sector, and in the long term will be beneficial.
    Public sector jobs ha

    That is your opinion but mine is quite different. Obama has made a mess of the healthcare industry

    I know, for a fact, that most of the job losses over the past several years have been in the public sector. The private sector has added jobs.
    Public sector employment has been reduced at the state and local levels because states cannot print money, Federal employment has risen. It is the liberal goal to create a massive central govt and Obama is doing that as shown my his policies and proposal for a 3.9 trillion dollar budget

    I believe that "threats of higher taxes" aren't going to have a big impact, especially when the reality of those tax increases are quite small.
    Ever run a business? Any idea what it costs to employ an individual? I have and you are absolutely wrong.

    I think you're blowing one quarter's data utterly out of proportion.

    Job growth is slowly recovering. Not where we'd want it to be, of course, but it's on the right track. One bad quarter is not going to result in massive layoffs, especially since other indicators are positive.
    It isn't one quarter, the U-6 rate is a disaster as more and more people have stopped looking for work and are discouraged. In addition the number of part time employees has increased with now over 7.3 million long term part time workers who want full time jobs. That isn't an improving economy. the part time employment is what is making the job creation look better than it is.

    Obviously, no one likes a negative quarter. But it certainly isn't proof that Obama has locked the US into a permanent downward spiral.
    Obama is incompetent and lacked the experience in the private sector to understand how it works. You don't seem to understand either. Learn the components of GDP and get back to me

Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •