Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 259

Thread: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

  1. #231
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Do I have a right to walk into a grocery store, prevent others from buying the last remaining honey ham, and then use an app to tell people I am holding the ham for them and will give it to them for $X? No.

    Do I have a right to park in a parking space, prevent others from parking there, and then use an app to tell people I am holding the space for them and will give it to them for $X? No.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #232
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    It's clearly not just a finder's fee.
    The example was used to illustrate the point that the "Monkey" is not "selling" the parking spot; the Monkey is selling information concerning the availability of the spot just as the person seeking the finder's fee is not selling the lamp. As to your other point, the analogy does not hold because, while I'm not within my rights to prevent another person from purchasing the lamp, I am within my rights to vacate the parking space when I choose to vacate it as no one's claim on it has any more priority than mine.
    Нава́льный 2018

  3. #233
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The fact that Amazon isn't collecting a sales tax on your orders and you haven't paid sales taxes.
    In other words, you got punked on that point. Just admit that 20 + 1 = 21.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Amazon has no presence in North Carolina and YET it is still subject to its tax and regulation laws. Again, the state/city must argue that the company is dealing and operating within its borders.
    Actually, that's not true. The final purchaser of the item owes the tax. Normally, the state forces compliance by getting the sellers to collect and remit the taxes. But since Amazon doesn't have a physical presence in the state, it can thumb its nose at North Carolina. Thus the state is not trying to force Amazon to pay the tax. It's trying to get purchasers' information so it can collect it from them:

    Because Amazon has no offices or warehouses in North Carolina, the company isn't required to collect the customary sales tax () on shipments. North Carolina requests voluntary compliance from taxpayers, asking them to include a "consumer use tax" on their individual income tax returns for anything purchased or received through the mail.

    Read more at Amazon sues N.C. over customer data :: WRAL.com
    You are your own worst enemy. You keep citing sources that make my point. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
    Нава́льный 2018

  4. #234
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If you're buying goods in Florida and California, Amazon is collecting a sales tax. Unless you're going back in time to anywhere before May 1st somewhere in Florida to buy stuff from their website, they've been collecting a tax for over 2 months. So your claim that they haven't is false. Now, I'm not even sure why you'd state they haven't been collecting it but they clearly have. We're in July, son.
    Where did I claim that they weren't collecting the tax? I said California didn't collect taxes until Amazon decided they wanted to pay them because they decided to build fulfillment centers in the state. I also said I don't pay sales taxes on merchandise I buy from Amazon at which point you called me a liar. Newsflash: I don't live in California, and never have I claimed that I do!
    Нава́льный 2018

  5. #235
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    Where did I claim that they weren't collecting the tax? I said California didn't collect taxes until Amazon decided they wanted to pay them because they decided to build fulfillment centers in the state.
    That's just as false as the previous statement. California was about to pass a law that would have made them pay anyways, Amazon decided to pay because there was literally no other option for them. Not because they chose to.

    I also said I don't pay sales taxes on merchandise I buy from Amazon at which point you called me a liar. Newsflash: I don't live in California, and never have I claimed that I do!
    So you live in Florida? Which is it? In either you pay a sales tax.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #236
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    The example was used to illustrate the point that the "Monkey" is not "selling" the parking spot; the Monkey is selling information concerning the availability of the spot just as the person seeking the finder's fee is not selling the lamp. As to your other point, the analogy does not hold because, while I'm not within my rights to prevent another person from purchasing the lamp, I am within my rights to vacate the parking space when I choose to vacate it as no one's claim on it has any more priority than mine.
    Monkey is selling an agreement to vacate the spot for a specific person. This is not merely selling information. The city has the right to make such an agreement illegal.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  7. #237
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So you live in Florida? Which is it? In either you pay a sales tax.
    You're getting warmer, but, no, I don't live in Florida, either.
    Нава́льный 2018

  8. #238
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,057

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahlevah View Post
    In other words, you got punked on that point. Just admit that 20 + 1 = 21.
    You said "You forgot Florida", ummm no I didn't. I told you that Floridians pay sales taxes too just like California if that's where you live. Now you're saying you live elsewhere, if you live elsewhere, why mention Florida?

    since Amazon doesn't have a physical presence in the state, it can thumb its nose at North Carolina. Thus the state is not trying to force Amazon to pay the tax. It's trying to get purchasers' information so it can collect it from them:
    Lmao you better tell Amazon that considering it's been collecting sales in North Carolina.

    You are your own worst enemy. You keep citing sources that make my point. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
    You're selectively quoting what you want. North Carolina law today ensures that Amazon is forced to pay taxes even without having a physical presence in the state:

    Amazon.com Help: About Sales Tax on Items Sold by Amazon.com

    Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

    Arizona
    California
    Connecticut
    Florida
    Georgia
    Indiana
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Massachusetts
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New York
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Pennsylvania
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Virginia
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    No physical presence? Still has to pay sales tax. Hm...
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #239
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's just as false as the previous statement. California was about to pass a law that would have made them pay anyways, Amazon decided to pay because there was literally no other option for them. Not because they chose to.
    Internet retailers still have a couple of SCOTUS opinons that back their position, but it's clear that Amazon.com decided to stop bleeding money fighting states where it planned to locate facilities. Where is does not, it's still refusing to remit the taxes. At last count, Amazon still did not collect taxes for 21 states, notwithstanding their strong desire to get their grippers on the money. And for the record, Overstock.com is still thumbing its nose at New York even though it "lost" by having SCOTUS not take up its appeal against the state. It effectively trumped New York's law by severing its relationships with affiliates located within the state. So your claim that New York left Amazon with no options is nonsense. It could have done what Overstock did and severed its relationships with its New York affiliates, thereby circumventing the state's law.

    Amazon Rejected by U.S. High Court on New York Sales Tax - Bloomberg
    Нава́льный 2018

  10. #240
    Sage

    Ahlevah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Flyoverland
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,925

    Re: S.F. threatens parking app 'MonkeyParking' with lawsuit

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You said "You forgot Florida", ummm no I didn't. I told you that Floridians pay sales taxes too just like California if that's where you live. Now you're saying you live elsewhere, if you live elsewhere, why mention Florida?
    Because you underlined a sentence from a source that claimed Amazon collected taxes in 20 states. That was true back in March when the Forbes article was written, but it's not now. Florida was the missing 21st state from your article. In any case, relax. No reason to get your panties in a wad over it. I just thought it good sport to point out that you're not as smart as you think you are.
    Нава́льный 2018

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •