Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 251

Thread: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

  1. #71
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Paxaeon View Post
    `
    I read someplace in the New Tea Party coloring book version of the US Constitution that presidents must defend Christian values as opposed to the Constitution itself.
    Well if you can handle the Tea Party coloring book, you should be able to handling the Democratic Communist Manifesto coloring book. It's written in one color to make it easier.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #72
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you have some examples of these cultures?
    Small communities of most religions or even nonreligious people do it better. In general, the problem with most religious people and their application of the Golden Rule is that they only want to apply it to those who believe as they do. If you fail to accept that your beliefs are not universally accepted or think they should be, then that automatically puts your beliefs counter to the Golden Rule because it is not likely that you would want another religion or group of people telling you what you should believe or what you should feel is morally right or wrong. Yet, many Christians live their lives by doing this, and claim it as part of their religion. They don't even recognize that this mindset directly violates the Golden Rule.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #73
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Small communities of most religions or even nonreligious people do it better. In general, the problem with most religious people and their application of the Golden Rule is that they only want to apply it to those who believe as they do. If you fail to accept that your beliefs are not universally accepted or think they should be, then that automatically puts your beliefs counter to the Golden Rule because it is not likely that you would want another religion or group of people telling you what you should believe or what you should feel is morally right or wrong. Yet, many Christians live their lives by doing this, and claim it as part of their religion. They don't even recognize that this mindset directly violates the Golden Rule.
    I see your problem. You are focusing on the worst parts of christianity to make your argument. That doesn't work. I could point to the atheist leaders of the 20th Century and the carnage that resulted from their beliefs, but then I would be doing the same thing you are doing. Taking the extremists, trying to make them the norm, then making it fit your argument that religion is bad, bad, bad.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You do not rebuff my suggestion that Obama is a Muslim?
    Because it's not an issue to me and I don't care whether he is or not or where he was born. That's the least of the country's problems.

  5. #75
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTrumps View Post
    I see your problem. You are focusing on the worst parts of christianity to make your argument. That doesn't work. I could point to the atheist leaders of the 20th Century and the carnage that resulted from their beliefs, but then I would be doing the same thing you are doing. Taking the extremists, trying to make them the norm, then making it fit your argument that religion is bad, bad, bad.
    No. I am focusing on the attempted arguments to make Christianity better than any other religion or beliefs. It is ridiculous. Christianity is not better just because so many people in the US believe in it.

    And many Christians (although I think this is changing for the better) violate the Golden Rule in relation to many other humans. One of the most obvious examples is homosexuals. Many Christians treat homosexuals like crap, even some who are "nice" to them because of those Christian's beliefs. Most Christians would not want to be told that their beliefs will get them to a negative place, yet those same people do not see it as wrong for them to tell others this. Another example is the insistence that those who aren't Christian will go to hell or go somewhere negative in death. Sure, other religions do this too, but that doesn't mean it is consistent with the Golden Rule for any of them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    But many aren't, just like in other cultures. Some live by the golden rule and some don't, but it has little to do with whether a person is Christian or not as to whether they do or don't live by it.

    You seem to assume that being Christian puts someone automatically at a better place or with a higher willingness to live by the Golden Rule. There is absolutely no proof of this.
    There might be if we looked at the difference between Christian influenced nations and those without it. The difference seems to be that those with a Christian background seem to be more influenced by human rights and freedoms than those without. As Christianity seems to be waning in the West we'll see if this brings any significant changes.

  7. #77
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    There might be if we looked at the difference between Christian influenced nations and those without it. The difference seems to be that those with a Christian background seem to be more influenced by human rights and freedoms than those without. As Christianity seems to be waning in the West we'll see if this brings any significant changes.
    No. The beliefs about freedom and human rights simply evolved within societies that had many Christians within them. Christianity did not cause those ideals to develop, it simply was there in the same place that that they did.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #78
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    There might be if we looked at the difference between Christian influenced nations and those without it. The difference seems to be that those with a Christian background seem to be more influenced by human rights and freedoms than those without. As Christianity seems to be waning in the West we'll see if this brings any significant changes.
    Right, because when you're talking about human rights, Christian nations like Spain under Franco, Chile under Pinochet, and Russia under Stalin had stellar records.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Small communities of most religions or even nonreligious people do it better. In general, the problem with most religious people and their application of the Golden Rule is that they only want to apply it to those who believe as they do.
    Then they are obviously not following The Golden Rule.

    If you fail to accept that your beliefs are not universally accepted or think they should be, then that automatically puts your beliefs counter to the Golden Rule because it is not likely that you would want another religion or group of people telling you what you should believe or what you should feel is morally right or wrong. Yet, many Christians live their lives by doing this, and claim it as part of their religion. They don't even recognize that this mindset directly violates the Golden Rule.
    The Golden Rule, to me, should be personal and although I think it should be taught in schools I don't proselytize myself because I am riddled with imperfections. All of what I am saying is from observation only and it should not be construed that I am a good Christian or even a Christian. And the truth is that i find those who argue against Christianity (as I once did) to be as much of a pain in the ass as those who are in your face for it.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Right, because when you're talking about human rights, Christian nations like Spain under Franco, Chile under Pinochet, and Russia under Stalin had stellar records.
    Franco was a Fascist and that overrides any feelings he made have had towards the teachings of Christ. Pinochet took over, luckily, from an atheist and of course Stalin was no Christian either.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •