Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 251

Thread: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

  1. #141
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,373

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Because that would have made BHO largely unknown to you and not a subject worthy of conversation. His name therefore would seldom be mentioned and you would never have heard of these claims.
    In 2005, I told many people (while I was in Kenya) that Obama would be the next president. I made this prediction based on his convention speech.

    In 2010-2012, I didn't meet anyone who thought Obama was born in Kenya. They all knew his father was, and thus they consider him a 'Kenyan son'.

    Sure, I met thousands of Kenyans, all over Kenya... but you can believe a google search if you want.

  2. #142
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,295
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So you believe it was for violating his parole which caused a SWAT team to arrive at his home in the middle of the night?

    He can be pro or anti anything. Being on parole doesn't disallow freedom of speech.
    Ah so he can flaunt his probation as long as he was doing something YOU LIKE which is misrepresenting the Islamic Faith.

    And since you advocate discrimination and violence against Muslim immigrants that largely makes sense.

    The question was persecution and you should familiarize yourself with the subject and the question before responding.
    I believe you should because you weren't able to actually respond to what I said, you did not demonstrate how he was actually discriminated against and it'd be a pretty tall order considering he wasn't.

  3. #143
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Again, some of these "Christians" give Christianity a bad name and they are forgetting the teaching of Jesus Christ. These types would be referring to the Old Testament which, as far as I'm concerned, contains mostly nonsense.
    Doesn't matter what kinds of Christians they are, they are still Christians. You can't discount them as Christians just because they do not believe the same as you do.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #144
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes, we have learned something from trial and error.
    Because we are a free people who can use what intelligence we have to compare and reflect. We know that that people are not trying to escape to Cuba so we should be able to draw some rational conclusions from that.
    The Swiss have the most direct democracy and it seems to work quite well. Better than many others systems operating in other countries, certainly. Maybe there were cavemen who devised a Constitution but this is like the 1000 monkeys with typewriters theory. We can speculated about fairies on a pin but we have to go with what we know. Believing in something in which there is no real evidence is bumping into the religious area again.
    Take a look around the contemporary world and look to see who is trying to stifle free speech. It is not the Christians. It tends to be Muslims, universities, the US Government, and the politically correct.
    No, it is a philosophy. Jesus Christ established no religion.
    The same is true of philosophies, which is why philosophies change and philosophers come to debate. The 'Truth', has yet to be established and likely never will be.
    I agree but it also depends a great deal on the religion. Some philosophers certainly embraced the philosophies and teachings of Jesus Christ and authors and speakers like CS Lewis (among many others) philosophized often about the existence of God. One does not necessarily negate the other. Some religions disallow any philosophizing apart from within the established religion, while Christianity does not do this. Many Christians would like to see the Christian philosophy, as in the NT taught in schools and I would be in favor of that. These teachings have effected the world in a very dramatic way and is part of our shared history, just as is the Magna Carta and the US Constitution.
    Yes, Christians do try to stifle free speech. Look at Uganda, where people are not allowed to talk about homosexuality in a positive way or they face penalty. Who is it that is trying to levy fines against people for nudity or foul language on TV or in media in general? In general, that would be Christians and people of other religions, mostly. In reality, very little free speech is stifled here in the US. There are claims of this all the time, but private parties taking action of some kind against those who say or do things that they do not approve of is not stifling free speech.

    Again, the Bible is not philosophy. It is religion. While it may include some philosophy, none of what Christians want taught in school is actually philosophy, especially not solely Christian philosophy. You may wish to believe that the Bible alone inspired those documents, but you are wrong, especially considering those parts of the Christian religion that could be considered philosophical were not invented by Christians or even Jesus. They had existed for quite some time before him.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #145
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,791

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Obama would like other leaders to work together to solve their country's problems but forgets that back in DC.
    When hard line Islamic fundamentalists are more cooperative than the republicans in congress, you should consider the possibility that the problem isn't the president.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    In 2005, I told many people (while I was in Kenya) that Obama would be the next president. I made this prediction based on his convention speech.

    In 2010-2012, I didn't meet anyone who thought Obama was born in Kenya. They all knew his father was, and thus they consider him a 'Kenyan son'.

    Sure, I met thousands of Kenyans, all over Kenya... but you can believe a google search if you want.
    Well if you met thousands of Kenyans all over the country and discussed Barrack Obama with them then I take you at your word.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    When hard line Islamic fundamentalists are more cooperative than the republicans in congress, you should consider the possibility that the problem isn't the president.
    Do you consider that to be true?

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes, Christians do try to stifle free speech. Look at Uganda, where people are not allowed to talk about homosexuality in a positive way or they face penalty. Who is it that is trying to levy fines against people for nudity or foul language on TV or in media in general? In general, that would be Christians and people of other religions, mostly. In reality, very little free speech is stifled here in the US. There are claims of this all the time, but private parties taking action of some kind against those who say or do things that they do not approve of is not stifling free speech.

    Again, the Bible is not philosophy. It is religion. While it may include some philosophy, none of what Christians want taught in school is actually philosophy, especially not solely Christian philosophy. You may wish to believe that the Bible alone inspired those documents, but you are wrong, especially considering those parts of the Christian religion that could be considered philosophical were not invented by Christians or even Jesus. They had existed for quite some time before him.
    It might not be wise to use Uganda, or any African country, as the best Christianity has to offer. Again they are reading the OT, with which I have little use, and are not following the teachings of Jesus Christ, which is exclusive to the NT. In fact there is a great deal of stifling of free speech though you might not be aware of it because mush of it may not arrive at your inbox. Perhaps you can start a thread on the subject.

    When you talk of "the Bible" you should separate the OT from the NT. If Christians are against foul language or public nudity then they are clearly losing the battle. Who is winning?

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Doesn't matter what kinds of Christians they are, they are still Christians. You can't discount them as Christians just because they do not believe the same as you do.
    Just calling yourself a Christian doesn't make you one. I feel that too many people who call themselves Christians are overly influenced by the OT, causing many of them to behave irrationally.

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Republicans: Obama must defend Christian values

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Ah so he can flaunt his probation as long as he was doing something YOU LIKE which is misrepresenting the Islamic Faith. And since you advocate discrimination and violence against Muslim immigrants that largely makes sense. I believe you should because you weren't able to actually respond to what I said, you did not demonstrate how he was actually discriminated against and it'd be a pretty tall order considering he wasn't.
    Yes, of course.

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •