Page 92 of 122 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #911
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    White men are not oppressed. Why must so many of them play the victim. Pooor white victims! Won't someone do something to help them?!

    I swear I see more white people cry victim than minorities. It's like the ratio of actual oppression to complaints is inverse. Who even has time for minority complaints these days; the wails of middle-aged white hetero men drown out actual suffering.
    Because all men are equal.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  2. #912
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Because all men are equal.
    Before the law but not before society. Hello, welcome to the awareness of racism.

  3. #913
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Is there anyone in your household that I can speak to? Someone slightly older. I really do. You obviously do not understand what is being said and basically pick sections of posts to go after so that your arguments don't seem so ridiculous. So yes, I need you to get off the computer and put someone on who has had enough adult level discussions that they don't feel a need to do that.
    The only one here older than I am is my husband, by 6 months. He said he's not interested in debating another poster's posts with you either and knows that netiquette says you don't get to demand that one poster discuss what another poster posted. So looks like you're SOL.

  4. #914
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The only one here older than I am is my husband, by 6 months. He said he's not interested in debating another poster's posts with you either and knows that netiquette says you don't get to demand that one poster discuss what another poster posted. So looks like you're SOL.
    You obviously do not understand what is actually being said at all. You keep moving the argument towards non-existing demands for you to discuss another poster's comments when in fact it was part of a much, much larger post showing why your initial argument was wrong. What part of that don't you understand?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #915
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    That's because people are throwing up false equivalencies. All things are not equal. Blondes did not get kicked off their land and were not killed in droves.(Easy Blonde) White people were not enslaved. (Cracker Barrel)

    I have stated that it is not okay to disparage anyone. But I'm not going to pretend that all things are equal when they aren't. Calling a white person a "cracker" is not the same thing as calling a black person the n-word. The world is not binary. There are shades of grey. I would appreciate if you would be honest about this. I didn't say it was okay or not bad. You are the one beating down a strawman.
    Wrong. They are not false equivalencies. Let me remind that you earlier today you were all for the name change because 10% complaining was good enough for you.

    If it offends me to see "Easy Blonde", it isn't relevant what happened to blondes anywhere in this country or anywhere else in history. It offends me, and if it offends 10% of blondes, that should be good enough for you. It also offends me to be called "Cracker" and if it offends 10% of white people, that should be good enough for you.

    Blondes never got kicked off their land and killed in droves? White people were never enslaved? You sure about that? You may want to check some history books there, Thor. Both statements are false. Those things happened many times in this world's history to many people, blondes and whites.

    By the way, I never called anyone the "N" word and nobody was suggesting changing the name of the Redskins to another name that may offend anyone, so no, there is no "grey".

    I never kicked anyone off their land, never enslaved anyone. I have just as much right to be offended by anything as black Americans or Native Americans do.

    Is this all about assuaging someone else's guilt? I have no guilt about what happened to either of those groups. My parents were both first generation Americans, and both were the product of parents who migrated to the USA because of oppressions, starvation, land grabbing, and other nasty acts perpetated against them and their people.

  6. #916
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You obviously do not understand what is actually being said at all. You keep moving the argument towards non-existing demands for you to discuss another poster's comments when in fact it was part of a much, much larger post showing why your initial argument was wrong. What part of that don't you understand?
    Oh, so now it's all about that my initial argument was wrong? Then FFS say that and man up and stop referring to comments made by another poster. I am not Grim. What part of that do you not understand? If your beef is with my initial argument, then Grim's comment is irrelevant.

    What a waste of my time doing this.

  7. #917
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Before the law but not before society. Hello, welcome to the awareness of racism.
    And sexism. And prejudice against people of religion, like Christians and Muslims. And ageism.

    Do you see the removal of the Redskin patent as some sort of victory, a blow to "racism"?

    How many white men on this board complained about the Native Americans and reverse discrimination against them to make way for Native Americans?

  8. #918
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,977

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Oh FFS. This **** is exhausting.

    Disparaging, my ass.
    Perhaps they should change the name to: "Political correctness is a mental disorder".

  9. #919
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    How many white men on this board complained about the Native Americans and reverse discrimination against them to make way for Native Americans?
    "They're destroying the team!!11!!"

  10. #920
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Oh, so now it's all about that my initial argument was wrong?
    If you stopped focusing on the little bits of posts you want to pick a personal fight with, you'd have realized that about 10 pages ago. I'm sure I've stated this in various forms:

    You obviously do not understand what is being said and basically pick sections of posts to go after so that your arguments don't seem so ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Alright, so now that your first argument (because members of the race use it, it's not derogatory) has been completely exposed as ridiculous. You've shifted gears into a snarky "Well you should go tell them!" - Why should I? People are educated every single day about the use of this word and its historical implications. Hell, it was exposed so easy all it took were other examples of a race using racist institutions, vocabulary and infrastructure without really understanding the social and cultural and implications that come along with their usage.

    So now you've shifted it into... well "I never exterminated anyone". Nobody claimed you had. I simply pointed out the incredible irony and self serving bs mentality that is required for praising the "fighting spirit" of a people that were exterminated while being called redskins. Specially when the praising comes in the form of naming a football team.... that makes money off a highly fictionalized account of Native American cultures..... the "Redskins".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Look C.B., your comparisons simply aren't even remotely the same. The Vikings? What ethnic group currently living in North America are they named after? None? Alright. Moving on. The point of your argument was a weak one. If some NAs like it, why is it slur and why is it bad to use it? Actually, it was a slur before they started using it. Arbo provided the context in which the word has been used for the past 200 years, though it has gone back and forth for about half that time, the last 100 years it has been covered with the same noble savage, violent savage tinge that idealizes NAs without seriously looking at the effects of that word. Now, you can keep complaining and complaining - but it's a slur. It's no different than nigger or mick or slut or even guinea. It's a slur. There is nothing positive about it and that it's still being used perpetuates false stereotypes of that ... what was it? "Fighting spirit" Grim talked about. You know, the fighting spirit that got 25 million of them exterminated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Yes, and her statement was something along the lines of "How can it be racist if Native Americans like it?" - well, that's just ridiculous. Black people flocked to the Negro League games. That didn't make their creation any less racist or the result of a racist process. The whole concept of naming a team after a race of people is alien to me though. I simply don't see how a person can claim that there is nothing "racial" or even "racialist" about trying to make money on the backs of romanticized noble savage memorabilia that nobody in the team has any relation to. The fact that they expect no criticism for it is kind of like those black people who set up Chinese restaurants and then expect no criticism when people point out some of the food isn't even Chinese.
    Seriously, I've pointed this fact out numerous times in the last 6 pages.

    Then FFS say that and man up and stop referring to comments made by another poster. I am not Grim. What part of that do you not understand? If your beef is with my initial argument, then Grim's comment is irrelevant.

    What a waste of my time doing this.
    I'm going to type really slowly so you don't get lost:

    1. Nobody claimed you made any reference to fighting spirit.
    2. I referred to a faux sense of honoring (first mentioned by Grim) which the name Redskin has NEVER been used for. I did this in order to discredit the sequence of arguments that are related to whether a slur stops being racist if the race is using it.
    3. You apparently took this to mean that I said that you said something about the NA fighting spirit.
    4. I showed you that you don't really comprehend larger arguments so you go chasing little side arguments (by being offended because the conversation is being debated within a much larger context) because your main arguments don't hold much weight.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 92 of 122 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •