Page 91 of 122 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #901
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,475

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    White men are not oppressed. Why must so many of them play the victim. Pooor white victims! Won't someone do something to help them?!

    I swear I see more white people cry victim than minorities. It's like the ratio of actual oppression to complaints is inverse. Who even has time for minority complaints these days; the wails of middle-aged white hetero men drown out actual suffering.
    It is a shame you missed the point.

    You and the other poster are saying that if at any time in history a group has been discriminated against, then they have a right now to complain about anything they want.

    So my question stands.

  2. #902
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    So my question stands.
    The answer is...




    White people are victims.

    *snicker*

  3. #903
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The issue is social power, not numbers. You really shouldn't be confused.
    If it was this then Thors argument would also be failing.

    His argument started complaining about the tyranny of the majority as it relates to the fact that a minority of Native Americans seemingly find the name offensive to the point of believing it should be changed. HOWEVER, said NUMERICAL minority by and large actually control a great deal of the societal power within the native american population as leaders of things like the National Congress of American Indians.

    So apparently when it suits Thor's purpose "Minority" means numbers...when it doesn't suit his purposes then it's "social power" instead of numbers. Highlighting my point that his argument is a giant wash of BS and emotional twattle that is boiled down largely to "I'll find a way to declare groups that I feel deserve to be protected/heard a 'minority' and groups that I don't feel deserve such won't be afforded the same notion"

  4. #904
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,063

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If I don't find the word slut derogatory, is it no longer derogatory? Of course not because words have a history behind their usage, context, inference, origins, etc..
    Nigger is a derogatory term unless used by black guys to black guys... it is NO LONGER derogatory. Same thing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #905
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If it was this then Thors argument would also be failing.

    His argument started complaining about the tyranny of the majority as it relates to the fact that a minority of Native Americans seemingly find the name offensive to the point of believing it should be changed. HOWEVER, said NUMERICAL minority by and large actually control a great deal of the societal power within the native american population as leaders of things like the National Congress of American Indians.

    So apparently when it suits Thor's purpose "Minority" means numbers...when it doesn't suit his purposes then it's "social power" instead of numbers. Highlighting my point that his argument is a giant wash of BS and emotional twattle that is boiled down largely to "I'll find a way to declare groups that I feel deserve to be protected/heard a 'minority' and groups that I don't feel deserve such won't be afforded the same notion"
    Another error.

    You must consider the social aspects from the tertiary level, national or global. Smaller scales are not relevant. The inability to escape injustice is key in defining social dynamics.

  6. #906
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If it was this then Thors argument would also be failing.

    His argument started complaining about the tyranny of the majority as it relates to the fact that a minority of Native Americans seemingly find the name offensive to the point of believing it should be changed. HOWEVER, said NUMERICAL minority by and large actually control a great deal of the societal power within the native american population as leaders of things like the National Congress of American Indians.

    So apparently when it suits Thor's purpose "Minority" means numbers...when it doesn't suit his purposes then it's "social power" instead of numbers. Highlighting my point that his argument is a giant wash of BS and emotional twattle that is boiled down largely to "I'll find a way to declare groups that I feel deserve to be protected/heard a 'minority' and groups that I don't feel deserve such won't be afforded the same notion"
    There is often power in numbers. I'm not sure what your point is about the National Congress of American Indians. Who are they alienating?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #907
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    That's because people are throwing up false equivalencies.
    Amazing you're suddenly getting upset about this...despite the continual attempt by many to throw up a false equivilency to "nigger" and "redskin". Or the false equivilency of saying that calling a raped woman a "slut" and claiming you meant "kitchen maid" is the same as what the Washington Redskins are doing with "Redskin".

    You're arguing against false equivilancies? Well that's all fine and good, but if your argument against it is flawed then it's flawed regardless if the intent behind the argument is right.

    You're correct, all things AREN'T equal. But that doesn't change the fact you're arbitrarily changing the bar for how you're measuring things to fit your agenda and yet attempting to act like you're somehow being consistent. I'm not saying you have to view all things as equal, I'm suggesting it's dishonest of you to act like people are suggesting things must be equal if they simply point out the flaws in your logic of how you're deeming them unequal.

    I have stated that it is not okay to disparage anyone.
    But you've stated that there should not be outrage over a non-minority being disparaged. You've also indicated that someone speaking disparaging to a non-minority does not "affect" them the same as doing it to a minority.

    You also defined "minority" based on NUMBERS at one point, suggesting that "10%" of a minority population (a NUMBER) is enough that it must be respected due to the rights of the minority. So I pointed out a case based on NUMBERS of females NOT being a minority and suggested that...by your logic...there should not be outrage over using a slur towards them and that it shouldn't "affect" them the same way that it affects a minority.

    This was not a "false equivilency", this was using the standards, words, and logic YOU put forward. And then you decided to change things up because suddenly your previous measure of "minority" didn't work for the new example so you had to shift it. Going directly to the point I made prior to you doing that....which was that the notion of "Owwww, the poor minorities! No tyranny of the majority" was a cobbled together emotional plea that was not based on any actual principle but was simply an ever moving idea that shifted based on agenda, not any kind of actual logic.

    Calling a white person a "cracker" is not the same thing as calling a black person the n-word.
    And a 80 year old team named The Redskins is not the same as naming a team today the Niggers, but your seeming annoyance with false equivilancies sure doesn't get you complaining about that.

    You're not getting an argument from me on the notion that cracker isn't equal to nigger. It's not. I've said that many times on this forum. Context matters.

    The world is not binary. There are shades of grey.
    Absolutley. Difference being I actually generally acknowledge that consistently, not just when it suits me.

  8. #908
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    I think the Redskins should get rid of the name.

    I don't think the government should force them to get of the name or take away their trademark protection for content/ideological reasons.

    I was aware that the government censors the name of alcoholic beverages, but I never heard of them restricting trademarks for content/ideological reasons.

  9. #909
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    No, they should keep the name and one things for sure, this will go through appeal and they will get their licenses a s trademarks back.

    How is Redskin anymore disparaging than " Indian " ?

  10. #910
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    The funny thing about this is that really the Redskins have one big person to point a finger at (other than their horrible PR staff) for all this crap to be flowing so significantly the past little bit...

    Robert Griffin III

    Had the team not mortgaged the future (rightfully in my opinion btw) to grab their first Franchise Quarterback since LT shattered the leg of the last one, and in doing so been thrust into a division championship for the first time this century, I don't think this issue would've garnered any more attention then it has for the past two decades. Griffin rocketed the Skins back into national relevance as a team and into the national spotlight, and that meant page views and ratings for Redskin related things. And nothing is better for getting page clicks and ratings than controversy.

Page 91 of 122 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •