Page 89 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #881
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    It seems now that a nameless bureaucrat can remove your property rights on a whim, and this action finds some support from those who defend big government and an all powerful bureaucracy.

    What's happened to America??

  2. #882
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    All I am saying is that if we want to do away with racism meaning that skin color will be seen as of no more importance than eye color or hair color, the various races are going to have to stop demanding that they be seen as of a particular race and deferred to because of that. It won't happen if they continue to make issues out of things like the name of the Washington Redskins that has never harmed a single Native American person ever. We cannot be non racist so long as we are required to be sensitive to the slightest nuance or 'objectionable' comment that could possibly offend somebody.
    While you complain about people being sensitive, it just adds to the insensitive attitude that perpetuates these racial issues. "Get over it" is no solace to minorities. It translates to, "I'm tired of hearing about how insensitive people are to the minority."

    What tribe are you from? The hubris you display electing yourself as the person to speak to whether the name causes offense is part of the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    How about we start focusing on treating everybody exactly the same and making certain words socially unacceptable as they used to be, but otherwise no big deal? Then and then only, can people of minority groups take their rightful place as ordinary citizens and be seen as just people instead of members of some minority group.
    It would be wonderful if all things could be equal. All things are not equal. Pretending they are is no solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #883
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It seems now that a nameless bureaucrat can remove your property rights on a whim, and this action finds some support from those who defend big government and an all powerful bureaucracy.

    What's happened to America??
    The Patent Office now owns the Washington Redskins???
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #884
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,516
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    While you complain about people being sensitive, it just adds to the insensitive attitude that perpetuates these racial issues. "Get over it" is no solace to minorities. It translates to, "I'm tired of hearing about how insensitive people are to the minority."

    What tribe are you from? The hubris you display electing yourself as the person to speak to whether the name causes offense is part of the problem.



    It would be wonderful if all things could be equal. All things are not equal. Pretending they are is no solution.
    I think you missed the point. But oh well.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  5. #885
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I think you missed the point. But oh well.
    Your point was to blame the victim (the offended).

    The jist of your post was if they stop getting offended, people will stop offending them. It's a flawed outlook. The people that offend them don't care either way. That's the whole problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #886
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,516
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Your point was to blame the victim (the offended).

    The jist of your post was if they stop getting offended, people will stop offending them. It's a flawed outlook. The people that offend them don't care either way. That's the whole problem.
    My post blamed nobody for anything. But it did offer a rationale for how racism is kept alive and well--much of it for fun and profit--in this country. Now you can discuss it on that basis if you like, or continue to accuse me of something I didn't say. Your choice.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  7. #887
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,971

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    There is no "wiggling". Take a sociology class at your local junior college. You can't deny that women held a "second class citizen" status for a long time. To deny that is absurd. Maybe you slept through the women's liberation movement. That movement was because there were treated as a minority.
    Excellent strawman, but it doesn't address what I stated. I never suggested that women have never been a minority. My suggestion was simply that screaming "MINORITY" as you've basically been doing is a poor argument point, because the reality is that one can twist things around in any fashion to attempt to classify various groups as "Minorities" or not. You even note that today, currently, men are minorities and women are not...and you claimed that there should not be outrage if a non-minority is slurred...but when I point that out, you shuffle around and go "Well, they ARE a minority if you just look at it in a different fashion". Which if you want to go that route...fine. But the same type of logic and attempt to twist the word to suit your particular agenda at any given point can be done to suggest whites are a minority, to suggest certain segments of christians are a minority, to suggest men are minorities, etc. Simply screaming "Minorities! That's why it's not bad" or "Not minoirites! That's why it's okay!" is a ridiculous tactic, and as you're called out on it you just move the goal posts and change your definitions to try and justify it for your particular agenda at that given moment.

  8. #888
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Excellent strawman, but it doesn't address what I stated. I never suggested that women have never been a minority. My suggestion was simply that screaming "MINORITY" as you've basically been doing is a poor argument point, because the reality is that one can twist things around in any fashion to attempt to classify various groups as "Minorities" or not. You even note that today, currently, men are minorities and women are not...and you claimed that there should not be outrage if a non-minority is slurred...but when I point that out, you shuffle around and go "Well, they ARE a minority if you just look at it in a different fashion". Which if you want to go that route...fine. But the same type of logic and attempt to twist the word to suit your particular agenda at any given point can be done to suggest whites are a minority, to suggest certain segments of christians are a minority, to suggest men are minorities, etc. Simply screaming "Minorities! That's why it's not bad" or "Not minoirites! That's why it's okay!" is a ridiculous tactic, and as you're called out on it you just move the goal posts and change your definitions to try and justify it for your particular agenda at that given moment.
    The issue is social power, not numbers. You really shouldn't be confused.

  9. #889
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It seems now that a nameless bureaucrat can remove your property rights on a whim, and this action finds some support from those who defend big government and an all powerful bureaucracy.

    What's happened to America??
    When this government successfully destroys big business, who will pay the taxes in this country?

  10. #890
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Excellent strawman, but it doesn't address what I stated. I never suggested that women have never been a minority. My suggestion was simply that screaming "MINORITY" as you've basically been doing is a poor argument point, because the reality is that one can twist things around in any fashion to attempt to classify various groups as "Minorities" or not. You even note that today, currently, men are minorities and women are not...and you claimed that there should not be outrage if a non-minority is slurred...but when I point that out, you shuffle around and go "Well, they ARE a minority if you just look at it in a different fashion". Which if you want to go that route...fine. But the same type of logic and attempt to twist the word to suit your particular agenda at any given point can be done to suggest whites are a minority, to suggest certain segments of christians are a minority, to suggest men are minorities, etc. Simply screaming "Minorities! That's why it's not bad" or "Not minoirites! That's why it's okay!" is a ridiculous tactic, and as you're called out on it you just move the goal posts and change your definitions to try and justify it for your particular agenda at that given moment.

    Yes, technically, males are a minority. White males have never held a minority status sociologically though. Even minority males have held a higher status than minority females.
    Some whites males have.

    Irish White males in New York were a minority and treated that way as well as Jewish White males were.

    Why did they loose their minority status now?
    Last edited by Mason66; 06-19-14 at 04:05 PM.

Page 89 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •