Page 87 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 870 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #861
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,945
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Calling the Braves the "Bravos" is not about a PC thing. It's like calling the 49ers the Niners.
    No, if it was there would not have been half the fans in the Atlanta area up in arms about it. The Braves had never been called the Bravos before the PC types tried to get not only the Braves, but the Indians and the Redskins to change their names. This happened short after St. Johns College changed their name from Redmen to whatever it is today.

    I have been following the Braves since around 1954 when the Braves were in Boston and the Atlanta Crackers were their AA farm team. I had never heard the term Bravos until the Braves were being pushed to change their name. Since then every once in awhile I will hear the Braves refered to as the Bravos on ESPN or some sports station, but it is very seldom. Then it is just a carry over from around 10-15 years ago.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #862
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,474

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    "Gringo" was brought up because of a restaurant chain in Houston.
    And it is used universally by Mexicans to disparage whites. I hear it all the time.

    Are you saying I cannot be disparaged because I am white even though I am the minority?

  3. #863
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, but they are well known. John Adams and his wife talked about voting rights and women in a whole series of letters to each other. It was actually a pretty good debate, but his reasons had nothing to do with the fact they were women and she was a smart enough person to see and understand that.
    Anyway, the only way women would have not qualified under his argument is if social changes took place, but since those changes didn't take place yet his argument did in fact apply to women.

  4. #864
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,474

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Societal and historical factors. When were white men oppressed in this country?
    Explain to me the connection between actions from long ago and words today.

    If it were actions today I could see your point, but not words.

  5. #865
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, but they are well known. John Adams and his wife talked about voting rights and women in a whole series of letters to each other. It was actually a pretty good debate, but his reasons had nothing to do with the fact they were women and she was a smart enough person to see and understand that.
    Why don't you just tell me what the reason then?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #866
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    And it is used universally by Mexicans to disparage whites. I hear it all the time.

    Are you saying I cannot be disparaged because I am white even though I am the minority?
    We are talking about America. Of course you are a minority demographically in Mexico. I'll bet you do hear it all the time. And sure, you are being disparaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #867
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    The Washington ****s has a nice ring to it.

    Women hold a minority status sociologically because of the history of their treatment. We actually documented in our Constitution the evidence of our social misogyny. Even today, we see that they do not represent their demographics in elected office and on average they earn less money than men do for the same job.
    Yup. And if we want to continue that, all we need to do is be butt hurt and whiny and victims and all upset over trivial things and victims and hypersensitive about any slight to ensure that nobody sees us as ordinary citizens with the same capabilities and character and abilities and emotional stability and personal toughness as anybody else.

    If Native Americans/Indians want to be seen as different and more vulnerable et al than everybody else, one way to make sure they retain that image is to make something like changing the name of the Washington Redskins really REALLY important and necessary.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  8. #868
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,513

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    No, I didn't say it was okay. I said it is not the same.
    Same difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #869
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Explain to me the connection between actions from long ago and words today.

    If it were actions today I could see your point, but not words.
    It's sociological. Previous actions and attitudes still linger today. Words reflect those attitudes.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #870
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,074

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    If it's a slur, you may want to call them up and tell them they're slurring themselves. It doesn't bother me, but clearly the word bothers you. How about educating them?

    I never exterminated anyone. Who did you exterminate?

    Who's CB?
    Alright, so now that your first argument (because members of the race use it, it's not derogatory) has been completely exposed as ridiculous. You've shifted gears into a snarky "Well you should go tell them!" - Why should I? People are educated every single day about the use of this word and its historical implications. Hell, it was exposed so easy all it took were other examples of a race using racist institutions, vocabulary and infrastructure without really understanding the social and cultural and implications that come along with their usage.

    So now you've shifted it into... well "I never exterminated anyone". Nobody claimed you had. I simply pointed out the incredible irony and self serving bs mentality that is required for praising the "fighting spirit" of a people that were exterminated while being called redskins. Specially when the praising comes in the form of naming a football team.... that makes money off a highly fictionalized account of Native American cultures..... the "Redskins".
    Last edited by Hatuey; 06-19-14 at 01:52 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 87 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •