Page 63 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #621
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You don't get to decide what is disparaging to another group.

    You know, the only reason this hasn't already been dealt with and the word isn't more disparaged to the general public is because the people it is used against where mostly killed off.
    Well, that and that the majority of the ones that weren't killed off hadn't been in favor of changing the name.

    Part of why the previous attempt by the PTO to remove trademark protection was overturned was because the courts found that they did not have sufficient evidence to suggest that the word met the criteria for disparaging. There was not evidence that a significant enough portion of the potentialy affected population found the word in such a usage to be disparaging.

    The question for the courts will essentially be whether or not there NOW is enough evidence to suggest this. To the opposition to the names credit, unlike last time they have the support of the National Congress of American Indians on their side stating that it is offensive and should be changed, and that group represents roughly 30% of native americans in the country. Now, it'd be incorrect to suggest that such a thing means 30% of native americans oppose the name but it is reasonble to say that the representatives for 30% of the population suggest it's offensive. Which may or may not ultimately be enough to rule that a large enough portion of the population feels that it's disparaging.

    But the reason it wasn't previously was, in part, because there was no evidence that a significant portion of the Native American population found the use of "Redskins" by the Washington Redskins to be offensive.

  2. #622
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You can't decide what is disparaging to another group of people; that isn't how it works.
    Cool...I hope you give this message with the same venom to those claiming in BROAD terms that "native americans" do find it offensive. Because those individuals are "deciding what is disparaging" to another group as well.

  3. #623
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You don't actually think that the Indians invented casino's, do you?
    Of course not. However, it's obvious they have developed the skills to run them today. Indian Tribes have managed to turned back long running opposition to gambling by banking on their special status, and the classifications of their lands as independent nations. Works for me, I don't do that type of gambling.

  4. #624
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,805

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Cool...I hope you give this message with the same venom to those claiming in BROAD terms that "native americans" do find it offensive. Because those individuals are "deciding what is disparaging" to another group as well.
    Uh, what?

    If an American Indian feels calling him a redskin is offensive, he's infringing on your right to call him a redskin. Really?

  5. #625
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Doesn't change my point that a big reason why people don't think this word is racist is because there aren't enough people in the group that it is disparaging to stand up against it.
    So, essentially, you are clairvoyant and can read people minds and feelings, and you know what's better for them than they know for themselves.

    Spare me.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #626
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    The point of my original post was to tell you that your opinion on this means jack ****. You can't decide what is disparaging to another group of people; that isn't how it works.. You may have an opinion on it and voice that opinion, but it means absolutely nothing when it comes to acknowledging whether or not that word is offensive to the group it is aimed at.
    I never claimed otherwise, did I? No.

  7. #627
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, that and that the majority of the ones that weren't killed off hadn't been in favor of changing the name.

    Part of why the previous attempt by the PTO to remove trademark protection was overturned was because the courts found that they did not have sufficient evidence to suggest that the word met the criteria for disparaging. There was not evidence that a significant enough portion of the potentialy affected population found the word in such a usage to be disparaging.

    The question for the courts will essentially be whether or not there NOW is enough evidence to suggest this. To the opposition to the names credit, unlike last time they have the support of the National Congress of American Indians on their side stating that it is offensive and should be changed, and that group represents roughly 30% of native americans in the country. Now, it'd be incorrect to suggest that such a thing means 30% of native americans oppose the name but it is reasonble to say that the representatives for 30% of the population suggest it's offensive. Which may or may not ultimately be enough to rule that a large enough portion of the population feels that it's disparaging.

    But the reason it wasn't previously was, in part, because there was no evidence that a significant portion of the Native American population found the use of "Redskins" by the Washington Redskins to be offensive.
    You're a Skins fan, yes?

    What do you think Snyder will ultimately do? Change the name, or leave it? Just curious what the buzz is among their fans (if you know of any).

  8. #628
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    I think it's time euro-Americans started standing up for themselves and slapping down all the racist scum calling them "white people".
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  9. #629
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,805

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I think it's time euro-Americans started standing up for themselves and slapping down all the racist scum calling them "white people".
    When there is a team called the Hartford WASPs or the Boston Palefaces wake me.

  10. #630
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    When there is a team called the Hartford WASPs or the Boston Palefaces wake me.
    There doesn't have to be a team named after the Euro-Americans in order for them to find the slur "white people" offensive. There's no "white" nation. No one came from the country of "white". And you don't get to tell other people what they should or shouldn't find offensive. If a small percentage of Euro-Americans find it offensive, then racist scum need to be forced to stop using it. That's the way it works. Take any word or phrase you want and insist it's pejorative and make people stop using it. Faggot is a good example. So is niggardly. Two perfectly good words that the thought police have purged from practical use.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •