Page 60 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #591
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I don't think this is right. While I understand the sentiments of some groups, the government should not have the right to do this just because some might be offended. That is not the point at all of the patent office. This opens up the possibility that copywrites for books or movies or other patented or copywrited material that might be deemed "racist" or offensive in nature could lose their copywrite due to this belief of offense.

    While I don't believe in being offensive and think that ownership of certain copywrites/patents should be limited, this is not such a case. This is a very specific association that they have a right, no matter how offensive some may find it, to hold that name and even the image. Freedom of speech says that this is not something for the government to decide, but rather for the people to decide and take care of via the people putting pressure on the owners (if the people feel it is wrong).
    Agreed. To me this big issue HERE is not so much the name and logo, but rather the government's obvious overstepping of its legitimate bounds and attempting to coerce private behavior. Even those people who think this is a good move should be wary and sacred as it sets a very dangerous precedent.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #592
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Oh FFS. This **** is exhausting.

    Disparaging, my ass.
    You don't get to decide what is disparaging to another group.

    You know, the only reason this hasn't already been dealt with and the word isn't more disparaged to the general public is because the people it is used against where mostly killed off.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #593
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Agreed. To me this big issue HERE is not so much the name and logo, but rather the government's obvious overstepping of its legitimate bounds and attempting to coerce private behavior. Even those people who think this is a good move should be wary and sacred as it sets a very dangerous precedent.
    It's not an overstep, it's been a part of the patent office's rules for a long time now.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #594
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It's not an overstep, it's been a part of the patent office's rules for a long time now.
    Sounds like a good time to get rid of the rule then.

  5. #595
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Sounds like a good time to get rid of the rule then.
    I would disagree.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #596
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I would disagree.
    Then you would have to also disagree with the first amendment. Seems like a strange argument to me.

  7. #597
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It's not an overstep, it's been a part of the patent office's rules for a long time now.
    No. It's not an overstep when a new application is denied. It most certainly is an overstep when a decades-old trademark is rescinded, and just magically coincidentally when it is politically convenient to do so.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #598
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Then you would have to also disagree with the first amendment. Seems like a strange argument to me.
    I do not. No one is forcing them to stop using the word, they just can't trademark the word.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #599
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I do not. No one is forcing them to stop using the word, they just can't trademark the word.
    Which more or less forces them to stop using it. In a world where trademarks don't exist perhaps they wouldn't change their name, but in a world that they do, yeah, they will.

  10. #600
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I do not. No one is forcing them to stop using the word, they just can't trademark the word.
    Do you also approve of the federal government essentially blackmailing the states to do their bidding by threatening to withhold highway funding, etc.? Pretty much the same coercion, just a different issue.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •