Page 50 of 122 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #491
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Go ahead, let's call the team the Towel Heads. See how far that gets you.
    Straw Man... next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #492
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I SPECIFICALLY responded to your comment:
    You absolutely did, you responded to my comment by ignoring every bit of context my comment was written about and taking a singular sentence and isolating it.

    Which was referring to "native americans" as an over arching group of people, not of individual instances of singular people or groups. But in terms of "Native Americans" as a whole, or as an actual factual representation of the whole.

  3. #493
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    correct. the government can't silence something simply because they or someone else might find it offensive. that does not pass constitutional muster.
    the patent office doesn't have the right to cancel a trademark as long as the team as paid and continued to pay for the trademarking.

    I guarantee if you look more into this the Obama administration or harry reid has pressured someone in the patent office to do it.

    redskins will fight this an win just like they have all the other times before.
    Hell yeah some scumbag politician is behind this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #494
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    [QUOTE=rocket88;1063421897][QUOTE=Zyphlin;1063421890]
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Racial slur to racial slur.

    Go ahead, let's call the team the Towel Heads. See how far that gets you.
    What? Somebody's going to, "do sump'n!"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #495
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Kind of like black people who played in the Negro Leagues. But yeah...
    The Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #496
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    How much do you want to bet that we're going to see a new bureaucracy created to review all patent and trademark requests to ensure that they aren't offensive to anyone?
    It appears we already have one...lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #497
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,018

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    The name honors the fighting spirit of native Americans, it doesn't disparage them.
    Fighting spirit.... by making a direct reference to skin color? Yeah, you keep believing that. Look, there is a reason nobody has made a fuss about The KC Chiefs, The ATL Braves, Chicago Blackhawks and Cleveland Indians. Hell, most of those names make reference to things which they've been called without much ado. However, RED - SKIN makes a direct reference to skin color, one which is disparaging, there isn't a context in which you'd be able to call Native American person "Hey yo! Red skin!" and there wouldn't be a racial aspect to the name. Trying to downplay it so you can feel good about your anti-PC shtick doesn't make it any less disparaging.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #498
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    You absolutely did, you responded to my comment by ignoring every bit of context my comment was written about and taking a singular sentence and isolating it.
    I notice he does this a lot...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #499
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    And finally, the really important part:
    Thanks for the appeal to authority. The guys writing is interesting and I'll read a bit more in it. However I question anything that requires a belief that the person somehow has the ability to read peoples intentions and meanings for things as some kind of fact. Indeed, the first thing you bold runs somewhat counter to the notion of Redskins...which was not created, nor is always used as a means of a dominant group to sustain inequality. The problem is that the source is SPECIFICALLY talking about slurs, but the issue is that it uses an ASSUMPTION that something that can be a slur is always being used a slur.

    Furthermore, the slut comparison is not an accurate comparison. No one calling a rape victim a "slut" can legitimately suggestion that they're calling her a "kitchen maid"...unless you can suggest to me in some fashion exactly how being forced to engage in sexual relations equates to being a kitchen made. However, one can make a legitimate suggestion that they Washington Redskins are referencing the name Native Americans used to describe themselves, as the team is making reference to native americans and native americans did refer to themselves in that name. In the case of the Redskins, it's use is a reasonable 1:1 comparison. In your example with "Slut"it absolutely is not.

  10. #500
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Fighting spirit.... by making a direct reference to skin color? Yeah, you keep believing that. Look, there is a reason nobody has made a fuss about The KC Chiefs, The ATL Braves, Chicago Blackhawks and Cleveland Indians. Hell, most of those names make reference to things which they've been called without much ado. However, RED - SKIN makes a direct reference to skin color, one which is disparaging, there isn't a context in which you'd be able to call Native American person "Hey yo! Red skin!" and there wouldn't be a racial aspect to the name. Trying to downplay it so you can feel good about your anti-PC shtick doesn't make it any less disparaging.
    And there is an instance were you could say to a Native American, "Hey yo! Indian!" or, "What up Chief?!"

    Sure you could... and get a tomahawk in the skull as a response!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 50 of 122 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •