Page 47 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #461
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,532
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    My point is that this is human nature and it happens a lot. I think you agree with me but aren't quite willing to admit it. That's fine.
    I won't admit it EVER because for most of my life it simply wasn't part of the American culture and I have a deep enough grounding in history to know that it has NEVER been part of the American culture until recently. In narrowly defined communities and isolated incidents yes. But that was never widespread and it never lasted for long. It was never government policy or a social norm until the last few decades.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #462
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Why would the United Negro College Fund use that term then?
    Because apparently they don't realize it's a slur. According to posters on here, "Negro" is a slur. We had to read it hourly after Bundy said it.

  3. #463
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That I agree with, though undoubtably for a different reason than you. The Redskins PR staff's incompetence rivals that of John Huntsman campaign managers in the last primary season. They've been RIDICULOUSLY stupid in this whole thing. The worst thing you can do with a ridiculous persons ridiculous bull**** is to actually respond to it as if it's legitimate and worthy of discussion. The Redskins had largely not addressed the issue for years and as such it would flare up once in a while but quickly die out because no one really gave a ****, the majority of native americans included. But for whatever idiotic reason the Redskins thought it'd be intelligent to try and make a comment against it at one those flare up points and then have CONTINUED to make comments over and over again....often in ridiculously stupid fashion...that has kept this going. At this point the various PR backlash (which is bad) and boycotts (Which are in reality largely irrelevant in terms of their impact thus far) are absolutely in large part their own doing.
    100% Agree. It's sort of like Sterling's amazing attempt to convince people he wasn't a racist.

    PR shapes public perception. They've inflamed opinion rather than calmed it. The N word wasn't quite as verboten before the OJ Simpson trial. When Redskins was just a name, there wasn't much of an issue. Now that everyone has to think about it, it's a much bigger problem.

    I mean, this is really an equation. Is the cost of changing the name less than the cost of keeping it? They made keeping it as expensive as possible.

  4. #464
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Does anybody but Harry care about Harry? He probably should concern himself more with the image he is projecting about himself to the world, IMO. A grown man acting overwrought and overly emotional about things like he does is not considered normal for a male.
    Why worry about unemployment, tension in Iraq, skyrocketing deficits, stifling debt, healthcare costs and other mundane topics when you can carry on about an NFL team's name? Please, pol. He has a busy schedule to keep. He has bigger things to worry about - The Koch brothers still walk among us, the Redskins name makes him cry, and Dick Cheney wrote an Op-Ed.

  5. #465
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,685

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    Would you say the Patent Office is being an Indian giver?
    that is a perfectly good example.

  6. #466
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Which would be wonderful if I was suggesting that NO native americans or native americans organizations were opposed to the name. There are absolutely some.
    I SPECIFICALLY responded to your comment:

    "I say your factual evidence as to the names offense or the belief of native americans that it should be changed to be nonexistent."

    You claimed the evidence for its change among NA to be "nonexistant", I showed it does in fact EXIST.


    I've asked for evidence that "native americans" as a conglomerate group find it offensive, or evidence showing the amount/percentage of the native american population that have issue with it.
    I just did, the list of tribes, Indian groups and individuals opposed and demanding a name change IS by definition "made up of parts from various sources or of various kinds" of tribes/Indians

    Many of those groups were outwardly opposed to the name back in 2004 too. So that doesn't really change things.
    It does not change....the belief of native americans that the name should be changed?

    Really?

    What sort of pedantic gymnastics await?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #467
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I SPECIFICALLY responded to your comment:

    "I say your factual evidence as to the names offense or the belief of native americans that it should be changed to be nonexistent."

    You claimed the evidence for its change among NA to be "nonexistant", I showed it does in fact EXIST.


    I just did, the list of tribes, Indian groups and individuals opposed and demanding a name change IS by definition "made up of parts from various sources or of various kinds" of tribes/Indians

    It does not change....the belief of native americans that the name should be changed?

    Really?

    What sort of pedantic gymnastics await?
    It doesn't matter how offensive "redskin" is, nor how many people are pissed off about it, the patent office doesn't have the authority to regulate free speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #468
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Correct. Somethings is derogatory if it's being disrespectful or critical in attitude towards something.
    That's not how it works for slurs though, at all. "Intended use" doesn't make the word any less of a racial slur. Racial slurs make a difference between one race and another. So regardless of what context you're using it in, you're drawing a clear difference between yourself and the other. That difference is never a positive one. Look, before you go posting a wall of text:

    https://web.duke.edu/diversitynewsli...acialSlurs.pdf

    First, one of the primary reasons why racial slurs are used—so that dominant racial groups can sustain social inequality—has not been fully explored in the study of racial slurs. Existing research has uncovered important insights, ranging from how slurs can be used to threaten another group’s identity (Boeckmann and Liew 2002, Leets 2001) to how the linguistic complexity of slurs determines their impact on victims (Leader et al. 2009, Mullen and Rice 2003). However, less is known about how group members’ desire for social inequality can drive the prevalence of racial slurs. Given that most organizational settings are predicated on meritocracy, it is important to understand how the use of racial slurs can contribute to the exclusion and subjugation of certain social groups by other social groups.
    Racial slurs comprise a subset of interpersonal aggression that is targeted at racial groups (or individuals who are members of racial groups) to inflict personal or psychological harm, such as damaging their character or injuring their reputation. Accordingly, in our conceptual framework, we consider racial slurs to have three defining characteristics—they are serious, overt, and discriminatory.
    And finally, the really important part:

    The content and the linguistic terms that characterize racial slurs are in themselves discriminatory (Graumann 1998). There is a straightforward comprehension that the remark is meant to send a denigrating message to a target because of the target’s racial heritage and to distinguish the targets from other racial groups. Racial slurs place targets into inferior out groups and aggressors into superior in-groups (Allport 1954). The discriminatory nature of racial slurs can be distinguished from most other acts of serious interpersonal aggression that are not inherently discriminatory, including stealing from coworkers, endangering coworkers with reckless behaviors, and behaving in a physically aggressive manner (Robinson and Bennett 1995).
    So yes, in short, this is like calling a rape victim a slut, and then trying to hide behind the fact that at one point it meant "kitchen maid".
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #469
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    The appeals process will keep this sucker tied up for decades.

  10. #470
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,217

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It doesn't matter how offensive "redskin" is, nor how many people are pissed off about it, the patent office doesn't have the authority to regulate free speech.
    How much do you want to bet that we're going to see a new bureaucracy created to review all patent and trademark requests to ensure that they aren't offensive to anyone?

Page 47 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •