Page 45 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #441
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    What does that have to do with my post?

    Why do they continue to use this racial slur for their own sports teams? Are they stupid?
    I don't know why they do. It's OK in some circles for blacks to call one another "My Nigga." Does that make it OK for everybody?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #442
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So the Native Americans in AZ who live on a reservation and have 100% of the student population comprised of Native Americans and use the name "Redskins" for their sports teams are, what...stupid because they don't know that they are slurring themselves?
    Kind of like black people who played in the Negro Leagues. But yeah...
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #443
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Yes I do think it was added into the Constitution for a reason and I stated what the reason was. Did you miss that?
    My point is that this is human nature and it happens a lot. I think you agree with me but aren't quite willing to admit it. That's fine.

  4. #444
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Only problem with that is that being offended or not being offended is not a standard for whether something is derogatory. I'm not offended by the word "slut". Neither are some women. It doesn't mean the word is not derogatory.
    Correct. Somethings is derogatory if it's being disrespectful or critical in attitude towards something. Which the name of the Washington Redskins is in no way doing.

    It's essentially the OPPOSITE of what you present here with slut. One can reasonably be OFFENDED by the Washington Redskins, regardless of whether I think it's dumb that you are or not, but it's hard pressed to suggest it's being used in a derogatory fashion.

  5. #445
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,151

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, nice way to strawman me as opposed to actually respond to my questions. About what I expect.
    Garbage in, garbage out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #446
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I don't know why they do. It's OK in some circles for blacks to call one another "My Nigga." Does that make it OK for everybody?
    Ah, so, it isn't really a racial slur then, is it?

  7. #447
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I say your factual evidence as to the names offense or the belief of native americans that it should be changed to be nonexistent.
    Native Americans and organizations opposed[edit]
    The following groups have passed resolutions or issued statements regarding their opposition to the name of the Washington NFL team:
    Tribes[edit]
    Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians[154]
    Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma[154]
    Comanche Nation of Oklahoma[154]
    The Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation (Washington)[154]
    Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians (Michigan)
    Hoh Indian Tribe[155]
    Inter Tribal Council of Arizona[156]
    Inter-Tribal Council of the Five Civilized Tribes[157]
    Juaneño Band of Mission Indians (California)[154]
    Little River Band of Ottawa Indians (Michigan)
    Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians, Gun Lake Tribe (Michigan)[158]
    Menominee Tribe of Indians (Wisconsin)[154]
    Oneida Indian Nation (New York)[159]
    Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin[154]
    Navajo Nation Council[98]
    Penobscot Nation[160]
    Poarch Band of Creek Indians[161]
    Samish Indian Nation (Washington)[162]
    Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians (Michigan)[163]
    Shoshone-Bannock Tribes (Idaho)[164]
    Standing Rock Sioux Tribe (North Dakota)
    The Three Affiliated Tribes of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation (North Dakota)[165]
    United South and Eastern Tribes (USET)[166]
    Organizations[edit]
    Advocates for American Indian Children (California)
    American Indian Mental Health Association (Minnesota)
    American Indian Movement[167]
    American Indian Opportunities Industrialization Center of San Bernardino County
    American Indian Student Services at the Ohio State University
    American Indian High Education Consortium
    American Indian College Fund
    Americans for Indian Opportunity
    Association on American Indian Affairs
    Buncombe County Native American Inter-tribal Association (North Carolina)
    Capitol Area Indian Resources (Sacramento, CA)
    Concerned American Indian Parents (Minnesota)
    Council for Indigenous North Americans (University of Southern Maine)
    Eagle and Condor Indigenous Peoples’ Alliance
    First Peoples Worldwide
    Fontana Native American Indian Center, Inc. (California)
    Governor’s Interstate Indian Council
    Greater Tulsa Area Indian Affairs Commission
    Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council (Wisconsin)
    HONOR – Honor Our Neighbors Origins and Rights
    Kansas Association for Native American Education
    Maryland Commission on Indian Affairs
    Medicine Wheel Inter-tribal Association (Louisiana)
    Minnesota Indian Education Association
    National Congress of American Indians (NCAI)
    National Indian Child Welfare Association
    National Indian Education Association
    National Indian Youth Council
    National Native American Law Student Association
    Native American Caucus of the California Democratic Party
    Native American Finance Officers Association (NAFOA)[168]
    Native American Journalists Association[169]
    Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio
    Native American Journalists Association
    Native American Rights Fund (NARF)
    Native Voice Network
    Nebraska Commission on Indian Affairs
    Nottawaseppi Huron Band of Potawatomi (Michigan)
    North Carolina Commission of Indian Affairs
    North Dakota Indian Education Association
    Office of Native American Ministry, Diocese of Grand Rapids (Michigan)
    Ohio Center for Native American Affairs
    San Bernardino/Riverside Counties Native American Community Council
    Seminole Nation of Oklahoma
    Society of Indian Psychologists of the Americas
    Southern California Indian Center
    St. Cloud State University – American Indian Center
    Tennessee Chapter of the National Coalition for the Preservation of Indigenous Cultures
    Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs
    Tennessee Native Veterans Society
    Tulsa Indian Coalition Against Racism[170]
    The Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation
    Unified Coalition for American Indian Concerns, Virginia
    The United Indian Nations of Oklahoma
    Virginia American Indian Cultural Resource Center
    Wisconsin Indian Education Association
    WIEA “Indian” Mascot and Logo Taskforce (Wisconsin)
    Woodland Indian Community Center-Lansing (Michigan)
    Youth “Indian” Mascot and Logo Task force (Wisconsin)
    Individuals[edit]
    These prominent Native Americans have put their opposition to the Redskins' name on the public record:
    Sherman Alexie (author, Spokane)[171]
    Notah Begay (Navajo, PGA pro golfer) called the Redskins' name "a very clear example of institutionalized degradation of an ethnic minority."[172]
    Clyde Bellecourt (Ojibwe, co-founder of the American Indian Movement)[173]
    Bob Burns (Blackfeet elder)[174]
    Vine Deloria, Jr. (Sioux, historian/author)[175]
    Ben Nighthorse Campbell (Northern Cheyenne, U.S. Senator)[176]
    Kevin Gover (Pawnee, director of The Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of the American Indian)[177]
    Suzan Shown Harjo (Cheyenne/Hodulgee Muscogee, author/activist)[178]
    Litefoot (Cherokee/Chichimeca, rapper) ironically celebrates Native American team names as "recreational genocide" on the track 'Stereotipik'.[179]
    Russell Means (Oglala Lakota, activist/actor)[180]
    Billy Mills (Sioux, Olympic gold medal winner)[181]
    Ted Nolan (First Nations Ojibway, NHL player and coach)[182]
    Buford Rolin (Creek tribal chairman)[183]
    Shoni Schimmel (Umatilla, Louisville Cardinals guard, class of 2015)[184]
    Charlene Teters (Spokane, artist/lecturer)[185]
    W. Richard West Jr. (Cheyenne) - President of the Autry National Center in Los Angeles: Redskin is "an openly derogatory term. It always is and it always has been.” West also characterizes the Original American's Foundation as an "attempt to divert attention from the fact that his team’s nickname is coming under increasing heat from people who think it’s an offensive racial term."[186]
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #448
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    That is my point... it isn't any longer because nobody uses it in common conversation or as an actual insult. Nobody sees a Native American and says, "hey, redskin, go clean up the toilette" or whatever. Native Americans are saying, "Redskin please" like nigger please... it just isn't used anymore. I see it as I stated, as a sign of the past and or heritage. Also, as Zyphlin has pointed out... Native Americans used the term initially and repeatedly.
    I've ran into people who have claimed to have heard people use it in a derogatory fashion in various places of the country...one such example was in north dakota. But by and large it's rare, and almost impossible to argue that it's used as a derogatory slurring term towards native americans is used more in modern society than as a reference to the Washington Football team. It'd be hard pressed to suggest it's used probably even 100:1 or probably 1000:1 in frequency.

  9. #449
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    As much as you ever do.
    You don't have a point. Thanks for answering by not answering.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #450
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So the Native Americans in AZ who live on a reservation and have 100% of the student population comprised of Native Americans and use the name "Redskins" for their sports teams are, what...stupid because they don't know that they are slurring themselves?

    Supporters note that three predominantly Native American high schools use the name Redskins for their sports teams, suggesting that it can be acceptable.[4] However the principal of one of these, Red Mesa High School in Teec Nos Pos, Arizona, said that use of the word outside American Indian communities should be avoided because it could perpetuate “the legacy of negativity that the term has created.”[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 45 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •