Page 44 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #431
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,502

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    [QUOTE=rocket88;1063421853]Racial slur to racial slur.[quote]

    So cracker is equivalent to nigger?

    Is it only racial slurs that you apply absolute equivalency to? Towel Head or Wetback or Slant Eyes isn't equivalent to nigger because it's not "racial"? I'm trying to understand exactly how you're drawing your lines here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  2. #432
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,362

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    So the Native Americans in AZ who live on a reservation and have 100% of the student population comprised of Native Americans and use the name "Redskins" for their sports teams are, what...stupid because they don't know that they are slurring themselves?
    Great, how many Native Americans play pro football in Washington?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  3. #433
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Great, how many Native Americans play pro football in Washington?
    Irrelevant.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #434
    Sage

    Linc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    04-04-18 @ 01:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    39,331

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Florida Seminoles
    Chicago Blackhawks
    Cleveland Indians
    Atlanta Braves
    Golden State Warriors
    Fighting Irish
    Trojans
    Spartans
    Eagles
    Redskins
    Back in the 80's, my high school where I was teaching was playing the Trojans in football.
    One of the signs put up by the chears was "Trash the Trojans".
    (Written in underneath was "after one use")

    To me it promotes courage, honor and spirit just as the Pittsburgh Pirates or Minnesota Vikings do. I am of Viking ancestry but do not find the Vikings offensive even though my ancestors murdered, raped, enslaved and pillaged innocent people for centuries.
    Yes--instead of my White Sox we must have Gray Sox--
    we all remember the Black sox .
    Physics is Phun; Chemists Have Solutions; formerly nimby

  5. #435
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-18-18 @ 10:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    46,294

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Great, how many Native Americans play pro football in Washington?
    What does that have to do with my post?

    Why do they continue to use this racial slur for their own sports teams? Are they stupid?

  6. #436
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,362

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    [QUOTE=Zyphlin;1063421890][QUOTE=rocket88;1063421853]Racial slur to racial slur.

    So cracker is equivalent to nigger?

    Is it only racial slurs that you apply absolute equivalency to? Towel Head or Wetback or Slant Eyes isn't equivalent to nigger because it's not "racial"? I'm trying to understand exactly how you're drawing your lines here.
    Go ahead, let's call the team the Towel Heads. See how far that gets you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  7. #437
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,351

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    And the vast majority of Native Americans are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, a lot of them are even fans.
    Only problem with that is that being offended or not being offended is not a standard for whether something is derogatory. I'm not offended by the word "slut". Neither are some women. It doesn't mean the word is not derogatory.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  8. #438
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,502

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    I'm not advocating forcing the Redskins to change their name. But they do deserve all of the PR backlash and boycotts that result from keeping the name. They have to decide if being called the redskins instead of just the skins worth that.
    That I agree with, though undoubtably for a different reason than you. The Redskins PR staff's incompetence rivals that of John Huntsman campaign managers in the last primary season. They've been RIDICULOUSLY stupid in this whole thing. The worst thing you can do with a ridiculous persons ridiculous bull**** is to actually respond to it as if it's legitimate and worthy of discussion. The Redskins had largely not addressed the issue for years and as such it would flare up once in a while but quickly die out because no one really gave a ****, the majority of native americans included. But for whatever idiotic reason the Redskins thought it'd be intelligent to try and make a comment against it at one those flare up points and then have CONTINUED to make comments over and over again....often in ridiculously stupid fashion...that has kept this going. At this point the various PR backlash (which is bad) and boycotts (Which are in reality largely irrelevant in terms of their impact thus far) are absolutely in large part their own doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  9. #439
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of Nigh
    Last Seen
    10-13-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,152

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Harry Reid would do everyone a favor by chasing a plastic bag on the Southeast Freeway.
    Harry Reid is an a$$-hat
    Know the truth and the truth will make you mad, because the truth has no agenda.

  10. #440
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,502

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Go ahead, let's call the team the Towel Heads. See how far that gets you.
    Well, nice way to strawman me as opposed to actually respond to my questions. About what I expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

Page 44 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •