Page 43 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #421
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Racial slur to racial slur. You're only pissed because it's your favorite team, so anything is "asinine" in your view. Maybe I want to honor black people for their bravery in the face of slavery and racism.

    We have reached a point where the only acceptable racism is against Native Americans. And you're hanging on to it with all your might.
    So the Native Americans in AZ who live on a reservation and have 100% of the student population comprised of Native Americans and use the name "Redskins" for their sports teams are, what...stupid because they don't know that they are slurring themselves?

  2. #422
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It's origins were not derogatory.
    I did not say it was, straw.

    The vast majority of it's use in the modern day is not done in a derogatory fashion.
    Since the use is primarily referring to a NFL team, but you are admitting that its use is done still today in derogatory terms.

    At times in our history it's use was more derogatory than not, and in isolated instances today it still may be....but by and large it's use today is not in a derogatory fashion.
    A piss poor excuse for it's continued use.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #423
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    Rant:

    I have really been trying to stay away from Politics here lately....both sides suck monkey testicles as it is...but this Redskins thing has me pissed. I am NOT a Redskins fan by any stretch of the imagination but their name is their name.

    Harry Reid said he wants the name changed because it is offensive to Native American.....change the name or suffer the consequences.

    Dan Snyder should hold a press conference and change the name of the team...period, no questions asked. And this is how I see that conference going...

    "Today is the very last day you will ever see the name Washington Redskins. It is offensive, abusive and intolerant and I fought it long enough. Effective immediately, we will now be known as the Maryland Redskins because the name Washington has become so offensive to every American that we can not sit by and willingly offend the American people and the NFL fan base."
    Harry Reid would do everyone a favor by chasing a plastic bag on the Southeast Freeway.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #424
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,670

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    [QUOTE=Zyphlin;1063421828]Research conducted by a Senior Linguist of the Smithsonian institute.

    The earliest use of the word "Red Skin" in print was in July 22nd, 1815 newspaper quoting a native american chief stating "I have never injured you, and innocence can feel no fear. I turn to all red skins and white skins, and challenge an accusation against me."

    The earliest discovered reference to the word in history was from 1769, when a chief named Mosquito "And if any redskins do you harm, I shall be able to look out for you even at the peril of my life."

    The earliest public reference of the word used in English was in 1812 by James Madison and a number of tribal leaders who made statements such as "I know the manners of the whites and of the red skins" and "I am a red-skin, but what I say is the truth, and notwithstanding I came a long way, I am content, but wish to return from there."

    Every dictionary classifies it as a usually offensive term.But even your reliance on the dictionary, it still does not follow what you claimed which was that it IS a racial slur...not that it USUALLY is. And I'd argue that the dictionary is hardly correct, since the words is used FAR more in society as a reference to a football team than it is as a direct reference to native americans, let alone as a slur. However, a word's relation to a team isn't part of a dictionary definition typically....which is why the ethnic slur "yankee" doesn't make mention of a baseball team.



    SOME native americans have been.



    And they can all go suck a duck. Peter King and his MMQB no longer receives any clicks from me. They're more than happy to indulge in their protest...their protest proves nothing about the name other than their displeasure with it.
    I'm not advocating forcing the Redskins to change their name. But they do deserve all of the PR backlash and boycotts that result from keeping the name. They have to decide if being called the redskins instead of just the skins worth that.

  5. #425
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    That's wholey different than asking if the term "redskin" would be offensive if applied to an actual person.
    Absolutely correct. Which is why I've never agued that "Redskin" CAN'T be used a slur, or CAN'T be used in an offensive manner. Rather, I've stated that it's usage as a Teams Name is not done in an offensive manner and that an overwhelming majority of native americans are not bothered by it.

    As for numerical issues, the survey randomly interviewed 65,047 individuals. Of those, 768 self identified as Native Americans. In 2004 the average poll response rate was 25%. That puts their overall response rate at around 1:400.
    None of which changes that it was still conducted in accordance with the standards for scientifically conducting such a poll. The entire purpose of polling is to garner a sample that can then realistically be extrapolated to the samples group at large.

    The poll is outdated, being more than a decade old.
    I admit, it's an old poll. The data may have changed slightly. But once again I'll note it is the most recent FACTUAL EVIDENCE on this manner that I've seen. if you have something more recent please present it. Otherwise I'll go with scientifically conducted, FACTUAL, information over anecdotal evidenced based primarily over whose loudest and gets the most media attention (Which has been deridingly skewed)

    The question wasn't given in a way which would promote any kind of introspection on the subject into a topic that had received essentially zero coverage.
    I find this funny that you claim "native americans", stated in this broad fashion, have been complaining since the 60's...but then suddenly you're suggesting that native americans didn't have the knowledge to be introspective on the issue

    The poll only required self identification, but did not follow up with any kind of follow-up questions to determine tribal membership or ancestry. There's a difference between being a self identified Native American and being an active member of a tribe.
    Not all native americans are members of active tribes.

    The poll relied on landlines. In 2005 only half of all Native Americans living on a reservation had access to a land line.
    Once again, native americans on reservations are not the only native americans. Secondly, that still provides for a significant sample on reservations that were able to answer a land line poll. Once again, do some research and take some classes on how polling is conducted....the entire purpose for scientific polling is an understanding that you can't reach every single person within a population.

    The phrasing of the question is confusing. It combines do you find offensive with doesn't it bother you.
    Which is why it's accurate to claim, at the very least, 90% of native americans are not bothered by the name.

    And on and on you go...but I'll say again.

    You find me something "more accurate" or "more recent" and I'll be happy to have it. If you don't, all you're doing is pissing and moaning with quibbles and casting stones because I'm actually going off something factually sound and you're going off pure and utter anecdotal. You say the poll has issues? I say your factual evidence as to the names offense or the belief of native americans that it should be changed to be nonexistent. I'll take some minor issues over nonexistent.

  6. #426
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,377

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    They should just change the name to the Niggers. I mean, that's fine right? It honors them.
    They would be within their rights to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #427
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mithros View Post
    I think there's a bit of confusion here. We aren't talking about the offensiveness of using a Native American likeness as a sports mascot. We're talking solely about the Redskins which use a racial slur as a team name. By definition, redskins is offensive. (at least that's what the dictionary says).
    That is my point... it isn't any longer because nobody uses it in common conversation or as an actual insult. Nobody sees a Native American and says, "hey, redskin, go clean up the toilette" or whatever. Native Americans are saying, "Redskin please" like nigger please... it just isn't used anymore. I see it as I stated, as a sign of the past and or heritage. Also, as Zyphlin has pointed out... Native Americans used the term initially and repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #428
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,119

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Boy Harry sure gets to you doesn't he tb?
    How dare he use his 1st amendment rights.
    You may want to look up Pelosi's comments as well, though you guys have been tame on her lately--it's still early.


    certainly not hackish here.



    I'll bet I can find 40 million.
    4 is a good # with you guys.
    remember 4 dead in O--hi--o; just replace with Ben--gha--zi

    The GOP should have won this seat in 2010--that must be the maddening part to you.
    In all sincerity, I would vote for Sen. Gillibrand over Sen. Warren for Majority Leader.
    Warren is my pit bull .
    We aren't talking about the GOP. Join us on topic or quote someone else's posts. This was a waste of 40 seconds, 35 of it trying to read your gibberish and 5 typing this response.

  9. #429
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,152

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You can make all the suggestions you want, I'm not invested in the naming of sports teams at all. However, you didn't answer my question - do you have a point. Do you?
    As much as you ever do.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #430
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You can't be that obtuse... "Who uses the term", means in common conversation or as an actual insult and NOT in a form of debate or research. We have used the term "Redskin" (oh ****, I just used it again!) to talk about who really uses it as an insult. ...but then again, maybe you are just an intellectually dishonest person. Seems so thus far.
    Take it up with Zyp, even he admits it is still used today as a derogatory term.

    It is recognized as such by multiple dictionaries and encyclopedias. I have no idea what point you have left.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 43 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •