Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #11
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Didn't the article state that the patent office had no power to prevent the redskins from continuing to use their name.
    The point is, if they say the trademark is invalid, ANYONE can print up redskins stuff and sell it.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  2. #12
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    The point is, if they say the trademark is invalid, ANYONE can print up redskins stuff and sell it.
    I would have thought that was obvious to everyone who understands what a trademark patent is. Maybe I was wrong.

    I hope Dan Snyder sues the **** out of someone for this.

  3. #13
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Didn't the article state that the patent office had no power to prevent the redskins from continuing to use their name.
    Yes. I think one of the effects will be that all of their trademarked products will be fair game.

  4. #14
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Didn't the article state that the patent office had no power to prevent the redskins from continuing to use their name.
    Anyone can use any name that isn't protected by trademark. What this is, is an attack on the ability of the team owners to protect their brand and make money from that brand. It was the government saying that the name of the company was "offensive." How many other companies are next?

    Should the federal government have the power to harm a private company that is not breaking any laws? Because that's exactly what they just did.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    The point is, if they say the trademark is invalid, ANYONE can print up redskins stuff and sell it.
    Pretty much do anyway. I have two #44 Riggins jerseys. One is a real deal NFL one and the other is a knock off. Very hard to tell the difference.

  6. #16
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yes. I think one of the effects will be that all of their trademarked products will be fair game.
    This is exactly correct. They have been talking about this on ESPN radio and the merchandizing losses here will be huge.

    It really begs the question of how incompetent... maybe that's not the correct term... how ARROGANT are the people who decide these things? Don't they realize that they will be sued and they are dead ducks in the courtroom?

    Mind boggling.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Pretty much do anyway. I have two #44 Riggins jerseys. One is a real deal NFL one and the other is a knock off. Very hard to tell the difference.
    It's really irrelevant if people already break the law WRT trademarks.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  8. #18
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yes. I think one of the effects will be that all of their trademarked products will be fair game.
    Which was a direct attack by the federal government on the ability of this company to make money, just because they don't like the name, but broke no laws.

    Who's next?

    Coke, which is named after a drug, but isn't a violation of law?

    Walmart, because they don't like how much they pay their employees, even though they're not breaking any laws?

    Slippery slopes are dangerous to traverse.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I would have thought that was obvious to everyone who understands what a trademark patent is. Maybe I was wrong.

    I hope Dan Snyder sues the **** out of someone for this.
    That would require bringing a lawsuit againist the 5 native Americans who brought the suit to the patent office.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  10. #20
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    Which was direct attack by the federal government on the ability of this company to make money, just because they don't like the name, but broke no laws.

    Who's next?

    Coke, which is named after a drug, but isn't a violation of law?

    Walmart, because they don't like how much they pay their employees, even though they're not breaking any laws?

    Slippery slopes are dangerous to traverse.
    There is a beer available called "Easy Blonde". As a blonde, it offends me. I think I'll call the patent office and tell them that my feelings are hurt.

Page 2 of 122 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •