Page 16 of 122 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #151
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,502
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I would bet this all has to do with merchandizing and money. People are getting rich off the name "Redskins" and certain people are objecting because they want to wet their beak a little and aren't getting the opportunity.
    Possibly. But more than that, I see the ugly head of political correctness driving the process--that concept that we must all think alike, embrace the same values (theirs), and be punished if we step out of line. And I can't shake the fact that it could even have the ultimate purpose of a giant, mostly bloodless coup that would allow the government to order a specific society into existence with full authority to discipline or punish any who failed to toe the required mindset and behavior. Once accomplished, the Constitution of the United States would effectively no longer exist at least as having any power whatsoever. And THAT would be the ultimate goal of would be dictators.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #152
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,502
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'm sure some people actually are offended, but for the most part, no, I don't think so.
    But can you think of any way that any person is actually harmed or compromised or demeaned or belittled or shamed or embarrassed or deprived of any liberty, opportunity, option, choice etc. because of that team name? On what basis is a person offended? If I didn't like the team name--and personally I am ambivalent about it other than it is considered the No. 1 rival of MY team --I honestly cannot find any words to articulate a rationale for why it is offensive.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Pretty soon Irish Americans will be up in arms because of the mascot of the University of Notre Dame. Atheists will want most of the town and city names in California changed because they refer to saints - to say nothing about that team in New Orleans. Perhaps Cowboys will get angry and storm in from the cattle drive. I guess we need animal names for all the teams. The animals can't complain. I'm embarrassed about what our society has become.

  4. #154
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    But can you think of any way that any person is actually harmed or compromised or demeaned or belittled or shamed or embarrassed or deprived of any liberty, opportunity, option, choice etc. because of that team name? On what basis is a person offended? If I didn't like the team name--and personally I am ambivalent about it other than it is considered the No. 1 rival of MY team --I honestly cannot find any words to articulate a rationale for why it is offensive.
    No, but that's a different question.

    People have the right to be offended, and some people are simply hyper-sensitive. We, however, as a society at-large, should recognize this and not pander to it. For example, I have heard people say that discrimination is "whatever the receiver says it is". That's patently absurd. There needs to be some baseline for society to work with.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #155
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    Pretty soon Irish Americans will be up in arms because of the mascot of the University of Notre Dame. Atheists will want most of the town and city names in California changed because they refer to saints - to say nothing about that team in New Orleans. Perhaps Cowboys will get angry and storm in from the cattle drive. I guess we need animal names for all the teams. The animals can't complain. I'm embarrassed about what our society has become.
    Notre Dame can keep the mascot. They just have to limit themselves to only Irish players on their teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #156
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,272

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    What the heck does this mean?
    He has been a disaster for the Redskins. She's a Giant's fan. Do the math.

  7. #157
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,272

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    With a little help from RG3 of course.
    And who do you think made that trade happen? I do hope RG3 gets healthy and has a stellar career.

  8. #158
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,020

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    Pretty soon Irish Americans will be up in arms because of the mascot of the University of Notre Dame. Atheists will want most of the town and city names in California changed because they refer to saints - to say nothing about that team in New Orleans. Perhaps Cowboys will get angry and storm in from the cattle drive. I guess we need animal names for all the teams. The animals can't complain. I'm embarrassed about what our society has become.
    Good thing Robert Wadlow (the tallest person to live since they kept such records) is no longer alive. He could go after the patents of the football & baseball Giants for hurting his feelings.

  9. #159
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,020

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    And who do you think made that trade happen? I do hope RG3 gets healthy and has a stellar career.
    I actually like RG3 and wish the Giants had snagged him (and jettisoned Manning along the way). He seems like a good guy and I think he has amazing natural talent.

  10. #160
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Does anyone else notice the irony this thread presents?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •