Page 15 of 122 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #141
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    When the Texas Oilers moved to Tennessee some people suggested the Tennessee Coons since coons are ferocious, adaptive and native to Tennessee. They couldn't use the name Oilers because it wasn't relevant to Tennessee. They chose the name Titan instead. How is a Titan related to Tennessee?

    The Tennessee Coons would have been a relevant name but I can see how it would have been construed as offensive by some people. (At least 5 people.)
    Current trend of adopting meaningless pussy names that won't offend anybody (who can sue).
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #142
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,504
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    This feelings hurt nonsense is getting way out of hand.
    And do you believe anybody's feelings are really hurt? If I objected to a team name I simply would not attend the games, would not watch them on TV, would not buy their merchandise, and, if I felt it was sufficiently insulting and offensive, might express my opinion about it in a letter to the editor or call the local radio talk show people.

    But what is really offensive about the term 'Redskins' when associated with a popular sporting event with fans who are proud of their team and cheer it on and regard it fondly? Yes, a generic Native American caricature is used but it is not one that is insulting but rather endearing and shown in a positive light. Nobody sees Notre Dame's 'fighting Irish' as offensive. The Seminole Indians, to their credit, gave the Florida Seminoles a green light to continue to use their tribal name proudly. That's the attitude that should be promoted I believe.

    Nobody can tell somebody else what they OUGHT to feel about anything. But if I was a Native American, I would personally be proud that I was seen as worthy to represent something the American people see as a good, healthy, all-American institution.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  3. #143
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    And do you believe anybody's feelings are really hurt? If I objected to a team name I simply would not attend the games, would not watch them on TV, would not buy their merchandise, and, if I felt it was sufficiently insulting and offensive, might express my opinion about it in a letter to the editor or call the local radio talk show people.

    But what is really offensive about the term 'Redskins' when associated with a popular sporting event with fans who are proud of their team and cheer it on and regard it fondly? Yes, a generic Native American caricature is used but it is not one that is insulting but rather endearing and shown in a positive light. Nobody sees Notre Dame's 'fighting Irish' as offensive. The Seminole Indians, to their credit, gave the Florida Seminoles a green light to continue to use their tribal name proudly. That's the attitude that should be promoted I believe.

    Nobody can tell somebody else what they OUGHT to feel about anything. But if I was a Native American, I would personally be proud that I was seen as worthy to represent something the American people see as a good, healthy, all-American institution.
    I would bet this all has to do with merchandizing and money. People are getting rich off the name "Redskins" and certain people are objecting because they want to wet their beak a little and aren't getting the opportunity.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #144
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Exactly, it offends because the mascot and drawings infer the Irish are overtly violent and subsequently law breakers. As well the logo depicts a balding male, which makes balding men feel violent and insecure about themselves, therefore apt to more violence. Yep. Reject their patent logo and TM of anything to do with that icon, be it graphical or written word.
    But nobody is whispering in a bald mans ear that he is a victim and to go make trouble for somebody else because he has nothing better to do.

  5. #145
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    What you quoted would seem to apply only during the application process not, not once an application is granted. Trademarks can be worth a small fortune and cost a small fortune to change. Being able to yank a trademark once granted seems to me to be manifestly unjust.


    This can be appealed to the Federal Circuit court and I'm guessing the Patent Office decision will be stayed while the appeals process is underway. As I understand it the Federal trademark doesn't impart a whole lot of benefits and the team retains significant common law rights. Sounds to me like it's more a symbolic gesture than anything.

    And someone noted the earlier patent office decision was tossed by an appeals court. That was because the plaintiffs lacked standing - they were too old (not sure what that had to do with anything I'm just quoting something I saw in the times). It was thrown out on the merits.
    You have to think the patnet office knew this but they just didn't care.

    The purpose is to make as much trouble for the team as posible and make them spend time and money fighting this instead of running their team.

  6. #146
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Lots of good info at this link: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/wash...edskins-patent




    So, will the Redskins change their name?

    I don't know and I really don't care, I'm 1/8th Native American and the name doesn't offend me.

    I know that other people have other opinions (Which they are entitled to.).

  7. #147
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I can see why you'd like the guy. He has made your life much easier.
    With a little help from RG3 of course.

  8. #148
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    And do you believe anybody's feelings are really hurt? If I objected to a team name I simply would not attend the games, would not watch them on TV, would not buy their merchandise, and, if I felt it was sufficiently insulting and offensive, might express my opinion about it in a letter to the editor or call the local radio talk show people.

    But what is really offensive about the term 'Redskins' when associated with a popular sporting event with fans who are proud of their team and cheer it on and regard it fondly? Yes, a generic Native American caricature is used but it is not one that is insulting but rather endearing and shown in a positive light. Nobody sees Notre Dame's 'fighting Irish' as offensive. The Seminole Indians, to their credit, gave the Florida Seminoles a green light to continue to use their tribal name proudly. That's the attitude that should be promoted I believe.

    Nobody can tell somebody else what they OUGHT to feel about anything. But if I was a Native American, I would personally be proud that I was seen as worthy to represent something the American people see as a good, healthy, all-American institution.
    I'm sure some people actually are offended, but for the most part, no, I don't think so.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #149
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Current trend of adopting meaningless pussy names that won't offend anybody (who can sue).
    Somebody that had a family member killed by a Nissan Titan pickup would be ofended by that name.

  10. #150
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,034

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Did you know that the name Oklahoma is based on Choctaw Indian words which translate as red people (okla meaning "people" and humma meaning "red")?

    When the **** are they going to force Oklahoma to change its name?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •