Page 118 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #1171
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What's the Indian equivalent for "Uncle Tom"?

    And, yes, I am being sarcastic.
    Uncle Tom-tom?

    A tom-tom drum (not to be confused with a tam-tam) is a cylindrical drum with no snares. The name came originally from the Anglo-Indian and Sinhala.
    Wiki? Where else?

  2. #1172
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,950

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    If it is true, which apparently it is in this case, that the team sought out the approval of Indian tribes when they were naming the team, who should pay for the name change if people now are offended?

    Is the team responsible for changing times, or even more to the point, changing people?

    A small minority want the name change, so shouldn't they foot the bill if they are the ones that are offended?
    It was native American Indians that first used the tewrm "redskins" and it had no negative connotations then.

    "According to , early historical records indicate that "Redskin" was used as a self-identifier by Native Americans to differentiate between the two races."

    Are You Ready For Some Controversy? The History Of 'Redskin' : Code Switch : NPR

  3. #1173
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Why are you trying to imply that the word Redskins is a common term to refer to an Indian?
    oh I don't know... history? The logo on the side of the helmet seems to back this up as well.

    I'm not implying anything. I'm citing fact.

    It is slang for Native American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  4. #1174
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    We seem to have competing facts.

    And in a political debate forum. Who'da thunk it?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #1175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Powhatan County, VA.
    Last Seen
    08-01-14 @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    657

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    There are plenty of teams named after iconic groups of humans.

    Patriots
    Steelers
    Chiefs
    Raiders
    Cowboys
    Packers
    Saints
    Bucs
    49ers

    Redskin is not a race. Its a word for an iconic group of humans, native american warriors of the 19th century.
    "Redskin" REFERS to a race. "RED-SKIN" Get it? The logo is a caricature of a Native American.

    ZERO of those you listed has any inkling of the same racial characterization. In fact, your list is laughable. "Saints, Packers, Steelers" etc. Please.

  6. #1176
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
    "Redskin" REFERS to a race. "RED-SKIN" Get it? The logo is a caricature of a Native American.

    ZERO of those you listed has any inkling of the same racial characterization. In fact, your list is laughable. "Saints, Packers, Steelers" etc. Please.
    Redskin is not a race, neither is Black or White. Its slang. Get it? Your rebuttal is laughable. Please.

  7. #1177
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    oh I don't know... history? The logo on the side of the helmet seems to back this up as well.

    I'm not implying anything. I'm citing fact.

    It is slang for Native American.
    The term has almost disappeared from common usage since the 1960s, except as a name for sports teams, although the number of teams using the name has also been in steady decline.

    So, as he said, it isn't a "common term".

  8. #1178
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
    The logo is a caricature of a Native American.
    No it's not.

    A caricature is a picture where certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect. That's not the case as it relates to the Redskins logo in any way, shape, or form. Quite the contrary, the logo was created and designed by a former president of the National Congress of American Indians, recieving input from various tribal leaders, in an effort to depict a respectable and accurate depiction as OPPOSED to a caricature.

  9. #1179
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The more I look the more I think you're mixing it up with the logo Mason. Though here's some info regarding the logo's creation:



    SOURCE
    OK, if it was the logo instead of the name, my question still stands. The patent office invalidated the patent on the logos as well as the name, so what can a team do, when naming and designing logos, to get everybodys approval inorder to use the name and logo they want and who whould pay for the change if after 70 or 80 years a few people find it offensive?

  10. #1180
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    oh I don't know... history? The logo on the side of the helmet seems to back this up as well.

    I'm not implying anything. I'm citing fact.

    It is slang for Native American.
    Please note the Word is in my question as inpresent tense, not was as in past tense.

    Nobody uses that Word anymore to refer to Indians anymore so why the offense?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •