Page 115 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #1141
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    A certain mister comes to mind.
    LOL. You are amusing. Nothing more. Good night.

  2. #1142
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Arbitrarily huh?

    Of the two of us I'm the only one being objective. You are debating on the emotion of the topic and how it makes you feel.
    Thanks for sharing how you feel about what I have or haven't been doing. LOL.

  3. #1143
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    so you believe that the 5 who brought it were not offended?
    Not at all. I think they were offended. Look at all of the non-Native Americans who are offended on this board alone.

    I also didn't think people could lose trademarks (which have financial value) because 5 people are offended, and I only have the 1 judges' say so that from the burden of proof (which is required in any legal case), the plaintiffs didn't provide the proof to make this decision.

  4. #1144
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,396

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Not at all. I think they were offended. Look at all of the non-Native Americans who are offended on this board alone.

    I also didn't think people could lose trademarks (which have financial value) because 5 people are offended, and I only have the 1 judges' say so that from the burden of proof (which is required in any legal case), the plaintiffs didn't provide the proof to make this decision.
    For the most part I don't see blacks or Hispanics getting all worked up over this issue. I suspect that the percentage of white people offended by the term is larger than the percentage of Native Americans. Hence, this is a textbook example of: White Liberal Guilt
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #1145
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Not at all. I think they were offended. Look at all of the non-Native Americans who are offended on this board alone.

    I also didn't think people could lose trademarks (which have financial value) because 5 people are offended, and I only have the 1 judges' say so that from the burden of proof (which is required in any legal case), the plaintiffs didn't provide the proof to make this decision.
    I believe the patent office was shown that those offended ranged in the 35% - 45% area. This is the case brought to them. The patent office then on the information brought to them decided that it was offensive to a substantial number of people. Not just to the five that brought the case.

    When Slang Becomes a Slur - Geoffrey Nunberg - The Atlantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  6. #1146
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    I believe the patent office was shown that those offended ranged in the 35% - 45% area. This is the case brought to them. The patent office then on the information brought to them decided that it was offensive to a substantial number of people. Not just to the five that brought the case.

    When Slang Becomes a Slur - Geoffrey Nunberg - The Atlantic
    Okay, but the dissenting judge said otherwise (which is what I posted, not saying he was right or wrong, just what he said). He said there was no proof presented. Just repeating his words.

  7. #1147
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 06:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    38,951

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    For the most part I don't see blacks or Hispanics getting all worked up over this issue. I suspect that the percentage of white people offended by the term is larger than the percentage of Native Americans. Hence, this is a textbook example of: White Liberal Guilt
    It's funny, but I usually avoid the use of "White Liberal Guilt" but then issues like this come up (and reparations for blacks, etc.). Just look at some of the posts in this thread. We owe the Native Americans this and we owe them that because of what "we" did to them in the past. Those posts, and the calls for reparations in other threads, epitomize White Liberal Guilt. Some people apparently feel guilty because of things other whites did to other peoples of color. It's as real as Bush Derangement Syndrome.

  8. #1148
    Sage
    ObamacareFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,950

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Not at all. I think they were offended. Look at all of the non-Native Americans who are offended on this board alone.

    I also didn't think people could lose trademarks (which have financial value) because 5 people are offended, and I only have the 1 judges' say so that from the burden of proof (which is required in any legal case), the plaintiffs didn't provide the proof to make this decision.

    Political correctness means offending the many for the sake of the few.

  9. #1149
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Okay, but the dissenting judge said otherwise (which is what I posted, not saying he was right or wrong, just what he said). He said there was no proof presented. Just repeating his words.
    I can see both sides of this. Like I said before, I really don't have a dog in this hunt. I don't want to see either side dismissed out of hand. I want both of them heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #1150
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,784

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ObamacareFail View Post
    Political correctness means offending the many for the sake of the few.
    Nah...

    It means, "I want to be heard by everyone without having to hear anyone."
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •