Page 109 of 122 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1219

Thread: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

  1. #1081
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    I love it. I agree, why should I be offended. At least now those kids have a steady income. Quite ingenious really. That reminds me some of the folks up New England way like to call us good old southern boys rednecks. Little do they realize that most of us use that epitaph as a badge of honor. Especially since Jeff Foxworthy and all his Redneck jokes. I tend to agree, most of us white boys really do not take much offensive at being called something. Actually I took more of an offense to being called a Republican for my anti ACA stance than being called a honkey, cracker or redneck. Although in my younger days when I was overseas I was referred to as a Yank, now that did get my dander up.
    It noted in the story that offense is taken more when you are in the minority because it's more offensive when it's more threatening. Here's the piece from the story:

    If some Caucasians in Greeley, Colo., find little reason to feel offended, maybe it is because they have little reason to feel threatened by the Fightin' Whities name. Caucasians in, say, Zimbabwe, where President Robert Mugabe has not made white farmers feel very welcome in recent years, might feel a bit more anxious about jokes at their expense.

    And it makes sense to me. When I lived in Augusta, GA there was definitely the black neighborhoods and the white neighborhoods. I was in a black neighborhood and a car drove by and said, "hey white boy!" and it clearly wasn't in a nice tone. I was the only white guy around so it was definitely me that was being targeted. It kind of made me feel like crap at the time. Like the whole, "you are different and you aren't welcome here" crappy feeling. I got a little pissed. Not a lot but some for sure. I don't think it'd have bothered me that much if I were in an area where I wasn't the minority.

    Funny part that made me feel even less good about all that was that there was a light skinned black guy that was between me and the car and he didn't see me so when they said "hey white boy!" he shouted back at them "I AIN'T WHITE!" to which I had to put him at ease and say... "they were talking about me" which he then noticed I was there. Made me feel even more crappy because that reaffirmed the negativity of being white and being there at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  2. #1082
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,582

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    There are people just waiting to be offended for sure. But they should have a voice as much as you and I no matter how pathetic it may seem.
    if you want to be one of those people that are offended by everything let me give you a little bit of advise that i have heard over the years.

    cry me a river build me a bridge and get over it.

    that is my comment to people that want to be offended by everything. basically if you want to be offended by everything then you are an immature adult that has a lot of growing up to do.

  3. #1083
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    It noted in the story that offense is taken more when you are in the minority because it's more offensive when it's more threatening. Here's the piece from the story:

    If some Caucasians in Greeley, Colo., find little reason to feel offended, maybe it is because they have little reason to feel threatened by the Fightin' Whities name. Caucasians in, say, Zimbabwe, where President Robert Mugabe has not made white farmers feel very welcome in recent years, might feel a bit more anxious about jokes at their expense.

    And it makes sense to me. When I lived in Augusta, GA there was definitely the black neighborhoods and the white neighborhoods. I was in a black neighborhood and a car drove by and said, "hey white boy!" and it clearly wasn't in a nice tone. I was the only white guy around so it was definitely me that was being targeted. It kind of made me feel like crap at the time. Like the whole, "you are different and you aren't welcome here" crappy feeling. I got a little pissed. Not a lot but some for sure. I don't think it'd have bothered me that much if I were in an area where I wasn't the minority.

    Funny part that made me feel even less good about all that was that there was a light skinned black guy that was between me and the car and he didn't see me so when they said "hey white boy!" he shouted back at them "I AIN'T WHITE!" to which I had to put him at ease and say... "they were talking about me" which he then noticed I was there. Made me feel even more crappy because that reaffirmed the negativity of being there and being white at the same time.
    You may have something there. I was stationed at Ft. Gordon from 1983-86 and retired from the army there. I can see what you mean about being in the minority, perhaps you do have more to worry about than being in the majority. But I think being called names is different than a name of a sports team. A sports team name is not threatening. It just is.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #1084
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    if you want to be one of those people that are offended by everything let me give you a little bit of advise that i have heard over the years.

    cry me a river build me a bridge and get over it.

    that is my comment to people that want to be offended by everything. basically if you want to be offended by everything then you are an immature adult that has a lot of growing up to do.
    No one is offended by everything so you are arguing to your own straw man... apparently so as to satisfy your kind of obvious superiority complex.
    Last edited by poweRob; 06-20-14 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #1085
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,582

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    No one is offended by everything so you are arguing to your own straw man... apparently so as to satisfy your kind of obvious superiority complex.
    nope there are people that are offended by everything. you constantly hear them all the time. no strawman here. if you are offended it shows how little maturity you have as an adult and as a person.

    It is easy to be offended it is difficult not to be offended.

    i am not the one crying over a football name.

  6. #1086
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,855

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    nope there are people that are offended by everything. you constantly hear them all the time. no strawman here. if you are offended it shows how little maturity you have as an adult and as a person.

    It is easy to be offended it is difficult not to be offended.
    Everything huh? EVERYTHING!

    You are not speaking in truths. Not even close. Had you said some are more easily offended than others, you'd have something. No one is offended by everything and seeing you double down on that comment is weakening your argument significantly.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin
    i am not the one crying over a football name.
    And if you read my posts in this thread you'll see that neither am I.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #1087
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    so you believe that the 5 who brought it were not offended?
    They may be honestly offended. They may be schiet-stirers. I see it about 50/50.

    Even if they all are honestly offended, five is way too small a number to dictate policy like this. And even if you try to expand this into others who might be offended yet not inclined to act, studies suggest their numbers are still a very small minority.

    ETA: PETA is a larger group, and they probably disapprove of team names like Eagles, Lions, Bears, Rams, Tigers, and so on. Should we mindlessly pander to them simply because they have an opinion and are vocal about it?
    Last edited by radcen; 06-20-14 at 10:42 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #1088
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    I'm offended by the people that think the patient office can remove trademarks because people are offended. I deserve attention too. Come on government, act on someone for me!

    Wait..I need four more people that are also offended for action to happen. Is anyone else offended? Come on guys, I only need four people that agree with me.

  9. #1089
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm offended by the people that think the patient office can remove trademarks because people are offended. I deserve attention too. Come on government, act on someone for me!

    Wait..I need four more people that are also offended for action to happen. Is anyone else offended? Come on guys, I only need four people that agree with me.
    The huge over bloated size of our government offends me.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #1090
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    nope there are people that are offended by everything. you constantly hear them all the time. no strawman here. if you are offended it shows how little maturity you have as an adult and as a person.

    It is easy to be offended it is difficult not to be offended.

    i am not the one crying over a football name.
    Right. We should not be offended by what stupid people say, we should be inspired by what smart people say.

    Ignoring ignorance and surrounding ourselves with like-minded people is just part of our job if we want to be happy human beings.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •