Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 288

Thread: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

  1. #261
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Do you have the same view for pedophiles or should they remain on sexual predator lists once they leave prison?
    Yet again, not sure why this is so hard to understand. If they are a threat that they need to be put on a list, then they are a threat to society and still should be behind bars. Doesn't get much easier than that.

  2. #262
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,757

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law….

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    H'm, let's see, how to weigh this.

    On one hand, we have two centuries of jurisprudence, judged on and decided by skilled and educated legal professionals, who have spent most of their adult lives examining constitutional law, who accept that rights are not absolute.

    On the other hand, we have someone who claims to be a strict constructionist (that's you, Bob) who simultaneously willing to drop the whole "militia" phrase.

    Whose word am I going to take on this? I'll give you a hint. Here's Antonin Scalia, arch-conservative, in the Heller decision, which struck down numerous gun control laws:

    "There seems to us no doubt, on the basis of both text and history, that the Second Amendment conferred an individual right to keep and bear arms. Of course the right was not unlimited, just as the First Amendment ’s right of free speech was not, see, e.g., United States v. Williams, 553 U. S. ___ (2008). Thus, we do not read the Second Amendment to protect the right of citizens to carry arms for any sort of confrontation, just as we do not read the First Amendment to protect the right of citizens to speak for any purpose."
    the Supreme Court has never explained where the federal power to so limit the right comes from. not in Miller and not in Heller. The reason why is that Scalia understands that there was no such power but being a "faint hearted originalist" he is not willing to wipe away federal gun control laws

    its one of the most obvious dishonesties in constitutional scholarship.



  3. #263
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,757

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law….

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    If trades or shipments from manufacturers happen across state lines, then it does fall into Federal jurisdiction. If the manufacturing and selling is all in one state, then States right should prevail.
    so if you read the language of the commerce clause-you can honestly tell me it was intended to deal with retail sales by private companies and individuals and it trumps the later penned 2A?



  4. #264
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,297

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    To be honest, I am a bit torn on this decision. On one hand, buying a gun to give to another, in order to circumvent the system of background checks, should be a crime. On the other hand, if I wanted to buy a present for a friend who is having a birthday, would I be breaking the law? It appears that I would be, and that is where I disagree with this decision.

    Discussion?

    Article is here.
    You CAN buy him the present. You just cannot surprise him.

  5. #265
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Not being allowed to have a gun is not imprisonment. That is a real stretch of a comparison.
    I didn't say it was imprisonment. I said each was the removal of a persons right.

    You basically prove my point. You view one as a significantly worse removal of a right than the other. Which is fine. However, it doesn't change the fact that yes, our laws DO absolutely remove peoples rights due to past actions and due to an assumption of potential future action. The simple difference is whether or not there's enough political will to allow for said right to be removed.

    There isn't currently as it relates to indefinite imprisonment.

    There is in terms of removing the ability to keep and bear arms.

  6. #266
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Underage drinking is a leading contributor to death from injuries, which are the main cause of death for people under age 21. Each year, approximately 5,000 persons under the age of 21 die from causes related to underage drinking. These deaths include about 1,600 homicides and 300 suicides. Firearm homicides
    •Number of deaths: 11,078
    •Deaths per 100,000 population: 3.6
    You excluded the entire adult population from homicides. Why? Do you think adults don't count?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You excluded the entire adult population from homicides. Why? Do you think adults don't count?
    We were talking minors killed by straw purchase alcohol.

  8. #268
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yet again, not sure why this is so hard to understand. If they are a threat that they need to be put on a list, then they are a threat to society and still should be behind bars. Doesn't get much easier than that.
    You know you are putting forth a policy of an undefined indefinite detention policy in place of law don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  9. #269
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,099

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I didn't say it was imprisonment. I said each was the removal of a persons right.

    You basically prove my point. You view one as a significantly worse removal of a right than the other. Which is fine. However, it doesn't change the fact that yes, our laws DO absolutely remove peoples rights due to past actions and due to an assumption of potential future action. The simple difference is whether or not there's enough political will to allow for said right to be removed.

    There isn't currently as it relates to indefinite imprisonment.

    There is in terms of removing the ability to keep and bear arms.
    Owning a gun isn't a right. It's a privilege. Interpretation of the 2nd amendment is so flawed its insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #270
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Supreme Court rules on 'straw purchaser' law

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Owning a gun isn't a right. It's a privilege. Interpretation of the 2nd amendment is so flawed its insane.
    You only claim that because you do not agree with what the Second Amendment very clearly, explicitly, and unambiguously says, in the clearest and strongest language found anywhere in the Constitution.
    Last edited by Bob Blaylock; 06-19-14 at 01:13 AM. Reason: May Laurence Tureaud have compassion toward you. — http://tinyurl.com/LaurenceTureaud
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •