1. In December 2009, it was announced that the e-mails were found.
2. They were actually recovered while Bush was still in office, but nobody ran the story.
3. Their loss stemmed from a failure to install a properly working electronic record keeping system.
4. That system apparently mislabeled the emails, which is why they were "lost".
5. The Administration was aware of the problem in 2003, before they were ever requested by anyone and more than 2 years before it was made public.
6. In October 2003, the Administration called technicians from Microsoft to help them find the electronic messages.
Millions of missing Bush admin. e-mails found - politics | NBC News