Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Tesla opens all patents to the public

  1. #21
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'd say this is unheard of. Wow.
    I'd say that it's rare, not unheard of.

    George Washington Carver gave all of his peanut inventions, as well as others, to the world at large. No patents for him.

    And of course open source Linux has produced quite a few operating systems and numerous applications. When you deleted Microsoft office from your new computer in favor of Open Office, instead of paying the licensing free, you benefitted from someone else's hard work.

    I used to think that I had a life goal of getting a patent in my name. Now I just want to come up with something that I can give to the world for free.

  2. #22
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    I'd say that it's rare, not unheard of.

    George Washington Carver gave all of his peanut inventions, as well as others, to the world at large. No patents for him.

    And of course open source Linux has produced quite a few operating systems and numerous applications. When you deleted Microsoft office from your new computer in favor of Open Office, instead of paying the licensing free, you benefitted from someone else's hard work.

    I used to think that I had a life goal of getting a patent in my name. Now I just want to come up with something that I can give to the world for free.
    Thank you for the information. I didn't know that.

    I hope you succeed! A very noble goal.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    Still not sure what the patents contained or exactly why he did it...but it sure sounds cool.

    However, though I think Tesla's are beautiful, fantastic cars...they are purely a luxury car.

    The S starts at almost $80 grand...that is useless for the masses. They stated for years before production that the S would come in around 40-50K...and now they came in at roughly double. I have little doubt if the major manufacturers wanted to built a car as good as the Tesla, they could.

    But they don't want to, IMO because they HATE electric cars.

    EV's (electric vehicles) have far fewer moving parts and require FAR less maintenance. And after market parts and planned obsolescence are large aspects of these corporations profits. And dealers make (apparently) about half of their profits from parts/service...so they hate electric cars even more.
    That is why GM would not let anyone keep their EV-1's when the leases ran out way back when and why they crushed them all after they took them back...they hate electric vehicles and they don't want them taking off.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1
    That is why the EV's they do sell are over priced and have incredibly short ranges. The base Tesla can do over 230 miles. Yet the best EV's only do about 60-80 miles...which are near-useless for anything but daily commuting. They are designed to appeal to a small segment, but it makes them look like they are embracing EV's...when they are not. They could increase the range of these cars if they want to (just add more batteries under the floor like Tesla does)...they clearly don't want to.

    On the other hand these corporations LOVE hybrids. They have all the moving parts of a regular car plus the electric motor/batteries of an EV, so they require even more service then regular cars. They raise fuel economy which helps their CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) compliance. They make at least as much per vehicle since they can charge a premium for them. And it makes them look 'greener'. And because of the added service/parts requirements, dealers like them as well.

    As long as Tesla makes luxury cars in small numbers that few can afford, I assume the big 'boys' won't care much.


    Personally, I love electric cars...but until they come down to $25K (before government incentives) and can go 200 miles at least, they are, IMO, strictly for luxury buyers and/or green 'fanatics'.
    Last edited by DA60; 06-14-14 at 06:26 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Are you sure?
    According to Google Maps, it's 1082 miles. So yes, we're sure.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,614

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    I find it odd they would do this. i know they want to get people to make cheaper parts but i think that would reduce quality.
    tesla 3rd gen is suppose to be in the 35-40k range and their 4th gen is suppose to be cheaper.

    i think tesla is having money problems. they kinda went about his backwards.

    PS they do have places to get your car fixed and they also have on call tech's. they will come pick the car up while delivering a rental until they get yours fixed.
    they are still building their fast charging stations across the nation.

    i would like to own one but they don't build one big enough to hold my family. their model X might but not for 60k that is to far out of my budget and since i don't drive as much
    anymore it isn't that big of a concern.

  6. #26
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,729

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    There is a good reason they did this. The regular automakers sell their cars to dealerships, who mark up the price and resell them to the public. Tesla began selling directly to the public, and so the other automakers have sued Tesla in court, in a attempt to shut them down. By making their patents public, Tesla not only wins the battle, but possibly the war as well.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #27
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    According to Google Maps, it's 1082 miles. So yes, we're sure.



    . .

  8. #28
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,244

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilly View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, just pretend Musk named it that after the unit of magnetism instead of the guy. (although I do realize the unit is also named after the guy). It may soften the blow.
    Maybe you should ask Alessandro Volta's descendents what they think of the Chevy Volt.
    I'm a big fan of Nicola Tesla.

    He was a true Pioneer and inventor and his contribution to science far exceeds anything Eddison came up with.

    His intentions are still being used today on a massive scale.

    Think every transformer from the one on the pole outside of your home or business going back to all the substations and eventually back to the power plant.

    The car " Tesla" is not innovative, nor is it especially a pioneering technogy.

    Electric Cars have been around since the 70s and they really haven't changed all that much.

    They still have profound and innherent limitations that make them some what of a bad joke.

    Name the damned thing Eddison.

    Its a massive DC battery pack that feeds a Inverter that chops up the DC into PWM.

    That PWM square wave signal is then sent to the Electronically Commutated motors for drive and speed control

    Its not even especially new technology.

  9. #29
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,931

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    All Our Patent Are Belong To You | Blog | Tesla Motors

    Interesting. Good or bad, I have to admire Musk's tolerance for taking big risks and shoving all the chips in.
    He is changing the face of our day to day lives right in front of us and it's a rather quiet revolution.

    Tesla is about to open a mega-battery factory that will make these batteries so that will make him bank when other car makers buy up his batteries.
    Tesla will soon narrow, then name $5B battery factory winner - Phoenix Business Journal

    You can now drive coast to coast charging up your tesla for free.
    Gas 2 | Bridging the gap between green heads and gear heads.

    And now with offering other car makers the right to use their battery... they also offer the ability to use their charge up stations and drive cross country.

    The infrastructure is on its way and it can be the door opening to kick big oil in the nuts. Which would come none to soon.


    *edit...

    Also, the model S is out now for sale (up to 300 miles per charge). The Model X is soon to be out for the same price range (70k or so to start and up to 300 miles per charge) which is an all wheel drive SUV... and the next car to come is the Model E for 35k. 200 miles per charge.
    Last edited by poweRob; 06-15-14 at 12:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #30
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    34,931

    Re: Tesla opens all patents to the public

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I'm a big fan of Nicola Tesla.

    He was a true Pioneer and inventor and his contribution to science far exceeds anything Eddison came up with.

    His intentions are still being used today on a massive scale.

    Think every transformer from the one on the pole outside of your home or business going back to all the substations and eventually back to the power plant.

    The car " Tesla" is not innovative, nor is it especially a pioneering technogy.

    Electric Cars have been around since the 70s and they really haven't changed all that much.


    They still have profound and innherent limitations that make them some what of a bad joke.

    Name the damned thing Eddison.

    Its a massive DC battery pack that feeds a Inverter that chops up the DC into PWM.

    That PWM square wave signal is then sent to the Electronically Commutated motors for drive and speed control

    Its not even especially new technology.
    Tell us what energy is made in AC current to begin with. Energy creation that doesn't require an inverter to change it from the DC current, as it was made, into AC so it can be transported...
    Last edited by poweRob; 06-15-14 at 12:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •